ForumsThe TavernWhy is the sky blue?

10 1589
Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

I already know I just really want to see how intelligent or knowledge hungry this community still is. Don't give me "blue light scatters" either. No **** sherlock of course it does. Give me the whole answer. K cool bye.

P.S.
If this is considered spam...then poop on this site. I've been here long enough that i should have at least one free spam saved up.

• 10 Replies
ryan7g
ryan7g
478 posts
Shepherd

I wouldn't really consider it spam. Just a wee bit redundant.

As for the question; You can really put it in simple terms.. The sun. Sunlight consists of light waves of varying wavelengths, each of which is seen as a different color. The minute particles of matter and molecules of air in the atmosphere intercept and scatter the white light of the sun. A larger portion of the blue color in white light is scattered, more so than any other color because the blue wavelengths are the shortest.

Source

Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

You can really put it in simple terms

exactly the opposite of what i wanted..

The minute particles of matter and molecules of air in the atmosphere

It's the air. particles of dust and water scatter all light equally, so it's still white (clouds).

A larger portion of the blue color in white light is scattered, more so than any other color because the blue wavelengths are the shortest.

Close...ish:

Purple light is actually the shortest wavelength that we SEE (leading into ultraviolet (can't see those!))

SO! figure out WHY the shorter wavelengths scatter better (purple actually scatters more than blue) and you'll be close, but then you'll still have to explain why we don't see purple or a purplish-blue.
Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

BY THE WAY! (sorry for the DP) that source is absolute garbage.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

exactly the opposite of what i wanted..

I'm not really in the mood to answer a science question on here (if I wanted to answer science questions I'd pop open my textbook and find some), but I did want to say that if you are wanting to see how smart/knowledgeable people are, the simpler they can answer the question the better. Being able to put the answer as simple and concise as you possible shows that you have a great understanding on the subject at hand, while being complicated, using haughty words, and exaggerated sentence structure shows arrogance and a lack of faith that you have full understanding on what you are talking about

Also, in case you feel I'm not answering because I don't know the answer, I do, but like I said I don't feel like answering. Though to show I do know, I will simply put it is due to Rayleigh scattering
ryan7g
ryan7g
478 posts
Shepherd

I didn't realize I was dealing with an Astronomy scholar.

The whole range of visible frequencies are scattered, from red through to violet. However with more scattering happening at the blue-violet end (because of the shorter wavelengths and higher frequencies)and less at the red-orange end, our eyes perceive this mixture of colors as blue.

Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

I didn't realize I was dealing with an Astronomy scholar.

Physics not astronomy.

The shorter wavelengths resonate with the vibrations of oxygen and nitrogen's valence electrons. That's why they scatter more. Our eyes have 3 types of cones that react best to blue light green light and yellow light, however each one overlaps as they are each slightly reactive to other wavelengths (imagine a venn diagram). This causes all the cones to be stimulated, with the blue sensing one stimulated the most. Since the blue one is very stimulated and the others are slightly stimulated, we perceive this as a mixture of blue and white light. hence the light blue color.

Though to show I do know, I will simply put it is due to Rayleigh scattering

knowing the name of something doesn't mean that you know how it happens. I know what the krebs cycle is, but I couldn't explain the ten steps to you. also, you could've just looked at his source to find the name of it...it was in bold

Being able to put the answer as simple and concise as you possible shows that you have a great understanding on the subject at hand,

that was disproved in this very forum...good try though
skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,375 posts
Blacksmith

I'm not sure you're old enough to hear the real story.

Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

I'm not sure you're old enough to hear the real story.

yeah i lied "god made it that way" was the right answer
ryan7g
ryan7g
478 posts
Shepherd

yeah i lied "god made it that way" was the right answer

Hahahaha.

Some, including me, may perceive you as arrogant. Then again, you probably don't care. But that made me laugh. So kudos to you for that.
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

...Google.

And why make a thread if you already know the answer? And demand that people give 'the whole answer.'
You do not reserve the right to constrict the path of discussion to such a narrow channel. Even more so when you do not need a real answer. And as said, Google would do it just as easily.

Showing 1-10 of 10