ForumsWEPRWhat do you think of the world around us?

127 34414
shock457
shock457
708 posts
Shepherd

I think that many things changed over the years. People nowadays doesn't read books as much. People doesn't even like the classical games (hopscotch, Heads Up 7 Up, etc.). Technology was a huge reason for this change. Ever since our modern technology was introduced, people began to rely on those gadgets instead of the old sources. Technology has helped us a lot, but brought everyone down in some way.

• 127 Replies
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

I think that many things changed over the years

Then I will have to assume you are at least thirty years old. Welcome to this thing we call "The internet"

People nowadays doesn't read books as much.

No, people nowadays doesn't. They doesn't get no grammar neither.

What is the difference between reading books and reading on the internet? Kids are reading far more then people in the past, they are just reading different mediums then the old ones. There is no reason for them to be different.

People doesn't even like the classical games (hopscotch, Heads Up 7 Up, etc.).

Kids still play them, but now they do other things as well. My younger siblings go around on their bikes and play with friends just like the people in the olden days do, they just have other things to do when they get board with that.

Technology was a huge reason for this change.

Really? Whatever gave you that idea?

Ever since our modern technology was introduced, people began to rely on those gadgets instead of the old sources.

Because technology is better then the old sources. When power tools where invented, people stopped using hand tools for most jobs because power tools where far more efficient, did the job better, and took less work to do. Guns replaced bows because they scared the enemy, took less time to train, and required resources that the modern world could get easy. Now technology is replacing things like books, after all, you have the world's biggest library in the palm of your hands, which lights itself up so you don't have to light from an outside source, and can be manipulated easier.

Technology has helped us a lot, but brought everyone down in some way.

Really? How so?
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Really? How so?

Curious as to why you think this also.

As 314d1 says, kids are reading, probably more than they did once upon a time, they're just using different mediums. That can be challenged though, because does reading perezhilton really equate to reading a novel? No. But kids do use technology to their advantage in this field. I think if kids use a gadget reading etc becomes more fun. I know plenty of kids who hate reading novels in paperback form but will demolish a book in days using their kindle.
shock457
shock457
708 posts
Shepherd

I think I should be specific on the age group. I am a teen and the people I'm talking about are teens. I see many teens abusing technology and they hate reading and the classics.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

I think I should be specific on the age group. I am a teen and the people I'm talking about are teens. I see many teens abusing technology and they hate reading and the classics.

I kind of think it's a case of expectations and preference.

It's not necessarily that teens nowadays are lazy, they just have more to do with their time. As for so many teens abusing technology - it's to be expected. I'm an adult and i abuse technology. If my phone is dead i think my world is over. It's constantly attached to my hand. I game quite a bit. Most of my free time is spent using technology. I read a hell of a lot [Including the classics] but for the moment i'm doing that on a kindle.

Technology takes over, regardless of age i think.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

the problem isnt reading or using techinology. the problem is reading stupid things and watching uneducating tv shows instead of shows/movies with a message. i was never energetic and started playing video games when i was 3. watched tv all day long and turned out much better then i think the kids today will... everything they watch and play has no message in it and is for entertainment purposes ONLY.

i honestly think that if the lion king came out today it would be ranked as 8+ (years old of course) because people now underestimate children and their ability to understand that life isnt as shallow as the shows they watch today.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

Really? How so?

Curious as to why you think this also.

we get a billion times more information then in the past. and some people just can't take the amount of information anymore and become very depressed because it go's all to fast for them.

also do we use our brain less.
in the past people had to remember all kind of things.
today people just write it down on their phone or computer.
they don't have to remember everything. they can seek the information on i-net anyway.

so even tho we get loads more information. we barely remember or learn any of it.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Like teens in the past liked to read Aristotle. Or Rousseau. Or Hobbes. We've always been like that, classics are plain boring to most and only intellectuals or pseudo intellectuals pour through them.

Genres change. We moved from stiff Victorian prose and the cheap paper bak novel to thrillers and mysteries. It doesn't mean children are less educated, in fact its the inverse. Whether or not this can be improver upon, is a different ball altogether.

Naysayers are just naysayers. We're not going to wad down the path of doom and hedonism that soon and that far.

Do you read classics? Most people I know don't, but they aren't haters of learning or are lazy. They just don't care about whether realism or liberalism is a better way of explaining international relations, they don't care whether Aristotle's Forms are applicable, nor do they care whether Satre's nihilism is correct.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Oh, and why is old considered gold? It's not necessarily veracious to claim that the traditional ways will always trump the new and contemporary. We don't play hopscotch because we have a multifarious range of other activities to amuse and occupy our time. This in no way represents any groundbreaking shift in morality or mentality or paradigm. It's just the changing of hobbies and games. Simple!

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Do they hate reading, or are they abusing technology? Like I said, computers are just books in a different form.

And what is so great about the "classics" anyway? They where not written for western teens. They are a completely different audience then the intended one, it would be unlikely for them to enjoy it.

the problem isnt reading or using techinology. the problem is reading stupid things and watching uneducating tv shows instead of shows/movies with a message. i was never energetic and started playing video games when i was 3. watched tv all day long and turned out much better then i think the kids today will... everything they watch and play has no message in it and is for entertainment purposes ONLY.

And what is your point in that? Messages make an entire generation smarter, somehow? Entertainment is entertainment, why would a message be necessary?

also do we use our brain less.
in the past people had to remember all kind of things.
today people just write it down on their phone or computer.
they don't have to remember everything. they can seek the information on i-net anyway.

You think that every other generation is better...because they have a better memory? You guys have such strange criteria.

Like teens in the past liked to read Aristotle. Or Rousseau. Or Hobbes. We've always been like that, classics are plain boring to most and only intellectuals or pseudo intellectuals pour through them.

They did. Back when they where Greek teens, or teens of the other nations. They where part of the intended audience (those that could read, at least) and enjoyed it. That is why they feed hemlock to some great philosophers, poisoning the youth of Greece.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

They did. Back when they where Greek teens, or teens of the other nations. They where part of the intended audience (those that could read, at least) and enjoyed it. That is why they feed hemlock to some great philosophers, poisoning the youth of Greece.

That's because they were the Harvard student of their days. Would your average Greek Joe read Aristotle? No. He would be at the theaters watching Aristophanes slap stick comedies, or out in the fields playing. Only the intellectuals and educated bothered with the stuff.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

You think that every other generation is better...because they have a better memory? You guys have such strange criteria.

read again plz. i never said anything about a generation being better.
i just wrote down what the downside of all the new biotechnology is.
if you can't take it. ignore me, remember.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

scrap the "bio" in front of the technology.
it's not supposed to be there.

shock457
shock457
708 posts
Shepherd

They think reading is somewhat boring and pretty much useless. I've read many good books, such as Diary of Anne Frank, The Merchant of Venice, or a Biography of Frederick Douglass. Those are some great sellers.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

They think reading is somewhat boring and pretty much useless.

so do i, and i aint a teenager.

i read letters, newspaper, news sites, scientific articles (especially about the universe), forums and loads of paperwork for my job.

but no classic books.
i think most of them are boring and useless.
see "most". some books sure are good. but to seek for them is a waste of time in my eye's.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

read again plz. i never said anything about a generation being better.
i just wrote down what the downside of all the new biotechnology is.

You think that, for some reason, an entire generation has a poorer memory from technology? Is that the correct sarcasm?

if you can't take it. ignore me, remember.

Maybe I should write it down?

They think reading is somewhat boring and pretty much useless

Then why do they text rather then talk? Use camchats instead of facebook and twitter? They read all the time.

I've read many good books, such as Diary of Anne Frank, The Merchant of Venice, or a Biography of Frederick Douglass. Those are some great sellers.

But they are pretty boring to most people. They are not written for the modern man, let alone the modern kid. The Merchant of Venice, for example, is so old and out of date that it can hardly even be considered "English" any more.

Now lets look at some of the best modern sellers. Harry Potter, for example, sold millions in the modern time to young people. Twilight sold millions to young girls. Kids do not care fiction from four hundred years ago, it is completely irrelevant to them. Modern books, in modern times, with modern fantasy, sells millions. Really, the only reason to actually enjoy things like that is to pretend to be smart...

Ah, I just brutalized the English language. Anyway, people read these days. They just read what is relevant to them, things that they are interested in, and that they feel could actually happen to them.
Showing 1-15 of 127