ForumsThe TavernMirrors

9 1795
kuffyruff
kuffyruff
207 posts
Jester

If you're a hardcore fan of the youtube channel vsauce, you've probably seen their video "What color is a mirror?" According to them, a perfect mirror reflects all frequencies of light equally, but in a different way than the color white does, thus producing the effect that we see. Of course, we live in an imperfect world, full of imperfect things, and (to my knowledge) a truly perfect mirror has yet to have been created.

This brings me to the question: is it possible to create a &quoterfect" mirror? The answer would depend on the properties of a mirror, what would need to be done to make it perfect, and whether such a process is within our current human limitations. There is always, of course, the possibility that one has already been created.

Scientifically stagnated, at least for the time being, and far too lazy to use the Google search bar in the top right corner of my browser window, I ask for other peoples' opinions on the matter.

• 9 Replies
ellock
ellock
385 posts
Blacksmith

Interesting, I would think that creating a perfect mirror would not be possible but making a near perfect mirror would be a possible thing. One so close to being perfect that you can not really tell the difference.

kuffyruff
kuffyruff
207 posts
Jester

@ellock

I agree. I'm wondering how close to perfection one could create a mirror before they would be unable to make it any more perfect, while the mirror itself still wouldn't yet be a fully perfect mirror.

PurpleSquishy
PurpleSquishy
150 posts
Shepherd

There has been creations of a so called &quoterfect" diamond, so is it really beyond thought to create a perfect mirror.

avenger671
avenger671
63 posts
Nomad

I think mirrors are silver.

kuffyruff
kuffyruff
207 posts
Jester

@avenger671

Perfect mirrors are technically white, but imperfect mirrors (the ones that exist within our world) are actually slightly green. This is because our mirrors are able to absorb all other wavelengths of color equally except those around the 500 range, which is green.

Many people have accepted mirrors as being silver, though this remains a serious topic of debate.

ffaagg
ffaagg
13 posts
Nomad

I think the kind of perfection required to achieve a white mirror could be ruined by something as simple as a fingerprint or dust. If a perfect mirror existed the required area it would have to be contained in would be far too expensive to maintain to justify the existence of such a mirror. P.S im 13

AatosLiukkonen
AatosLiukkonen
66 posts
Nomad

No true perfect object has ever been created. Even the slightest deviation would make it imperfect.

Though, I do suppose, it's possible that a very small amount of molecules could have created one on an atomic scale. Though this is unlikely, because to be perfect the surface would have had to be flat.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

So, can one part of a mirror be perfect, while the other isn't, making it imperfect? Or as a whole, is the entire mass flawed?

kuffyruff
kuffyruff
207 posts
Jester

So, can one part of a mirror be perfect, while the other isn't, making it imperfect? Or as a whole, is the entire mass flawed?

I think that it's a little bit of both. If part of a mirror is perfect while another is not, then it makes the entire mirror imperfect. Not sure if a mirror can really be grouped into perfect and imperfect parts, so I'd just stick with your second statement.

At least I think. Not sure if that's what you meant or not, but if it isn't completely disregard this message.
Showing 1-9 of 9