ForumsWEPRSmall step for man, but a large step for mankind

27 8069
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

I'm truly surprised there hasn't been a thread about this yet.
Well, Armstrong died, aged 82. The man who (supposedly) stepped on the moon!

Notice the supposedly. I did not bring this thread up to speak of how great a man/scientist/whatever you consider him. I, sensanaty, ask you, the denizens of AG, was it a hoax? Did this man truly step on the moon? If so, why are the other 2 crew members completely ignored by the general public, simply because they did not step on the moon first?

I honestly believe it is not a hoax. If it were, the Ruskies would be all over the place yelling "hoax, hoax". But, you don't see them doing that, do you?

Whatever the case, may he rest in peace.

• 27 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

If so, why are the other 2 crew members completely ignored by the general public, simply because they did not step on the moon first?

Basically. But Buzz Aldrin isn't really ignored by the general public..just not looked upon as highly as Neil.

I personally do not believe it to be a hoax. I have done my research on why people think it was a hoax and the claims were really just hogwash...claims that if that person really took time to think about they could disprove it themselves
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

It wasn't a hoax. It is not like America to pour millions of dollars into something they never did. Or maybe it is?
Anyway, those who say flags don't fly in vacuums; They do.
There is no way to fake low gravity, especially during their timeframe.
And what would the point be of advertising and broadcasting something that never happened and doesn't affect those watching it overly?

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Didn't they see some of the left-behind equipment with telescopes not long ago? No, it's not a hoax, it just sounded so fantastic back then for men to land on the moon that some couldn't believe it and started looking for whatever might discredit it. It would fit so much nicer in their view of the world if it was a hoax.

BRAAINZz
BRAAINZz
787 posts
Nomad

Armstrong died, aged 82

I almost cried when I first saw this, at least he got to watch Curiosity reach Mars.

Back to the point, I don't think that it was a hoax. Although I can somewhat see the motive that even a hoax would provide. Such as increased nationalism, due to it still being in the Cold War era. I've somewhat dropped the whole conspiracy theory on this one. The evidence adds up to a small degree, but is nowhere near convincing.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

i fully believe armstrong (and his nearly unknown friend) did walk on the moon. but i do not believe that the 1st step as we know them are really the 1st steps.
what really bugs me is how the camera was there already and perfectly showing the spacecraft armstrong was crawling out. not out of focus not positioned the wrong way etc.

how did that camera come there for the shot if no-one has been there yet?

BRAAINZz
BRAAINZz
787 posts
Nomad

how did that camera come there for the shot if no-one has been there yet?

The camera was positioned on the ship originally during the first steps and then it was relocated throughout the process of Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin playing on the moon.
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

I have to say, I'm surprised that a bunch of conspiracy theorists aren't pouring out of the woodwork to proclaim how the landing was fake.

I'm quite sure that it is real due to the fact that there are so many testimonies confirming it.

-Blade

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

I honestly believe it is not a hoax. If it were, the Ruskies would be all over the place yelling "hoax, hoax". But, you don't see them doing that, do you?

Yeah, that's one of my reasons I think it's real. If there were any doubt, Russia/China/any other political enemies would do whatever they could to prove it false. Also, the USSR was the first to crash a manmade object on the moon, so they knew it was possible. They also were able to soft-land an unmanned craft over 3 years before Apollo 11.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

The camera was positioned on the ship originally

i'm not talking about this camera.
that 1 is mounted on the ship indeed.

but this camera.
if it was mounted on the ship then it would be visable in the 1st video on 1 of the legs. back then cameras were not so small that you could hide it.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

but this camera.

This was when the lunar module was detaching from the command module. There are cameras on both. A camera on the lunar module shows the trailing command module @2:13.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

@ 2:21 you see the door and ladder.
so the camera has to be on the leg left of it.

i don't see it. do you?

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

The camera was something i was unsure about too, but not in the whole "It was there before them", just about the positioning. I don't think it was a hoax. If it was, it would have been proven by now without a doubt.

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

but this camera.
if it was mounted on the ship then it would be visable in the 1st video on 1 of the legs. back then cameras were not so small that you could hide it.

Someone in the comments said something about it. I'm not if it's at all right but this is what they wrote,

The TV camera was stowed in an instrument pallet in the LM descent stage. When Armstrong was at the top of the ladder, he pulled a lanyard to swing open the pallet, which was hinged at the bottom. The TV camera, which was attached to it, also swung down. Buzz Aldrin then switched on the camera from the LM cabin. The camera was pointing at the ladder of the LM so that TV pictures of Armstrong's initial steps on the Moon could be relayed to the world.

What do you think?
kuffyruff
kuffyruff
207 posts
Jester

I don't think that anyone could hide such a large conspiracy for such a long period of time without the truth coming out. Unsure what the camera positioning could mean, but I doubt that it meant that the entire thing was a hoax.

If so, why are the other 2 crew members completely ignored by the general public, simply because they did not step on the moon first?

Buzz Aldrin is still remembered for his accomplishments, but I think that the one person that everyone forgets is Michael Collins. I learned about him when reading a book on the Apollo 11 mission a while ago, and that he was forced to wait in lunar orbit so as to continue manning the spacecraft. Does anyone really remember him? I think it's sort of stinks that he's been erased from history even though he took part in one of the greatest events since the dawn of mankind.

That is, of course, assuming that it wasn't a conspiracy.
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

I think that the one person that everyone forgets is Michael Collins. I learned about him when reading a book on the Apollo 11 mission a while ago,

I always felt sorry for him. A lot of people don't realize that he was floating around the Moon, by himself, for about a day. Michael Collins doesn't get enough credit.

I don't know why people don't want to believe that man has walked on the moon. It seems pretty cool to me, that man has walked on the moon.

The theories that people have come up with to &quotrove" that the Apollo program was a hoax are a little too far fetched to be believable.
Showing 1-15 of 27