ForumsThe Tavernshould i buy a metal detector?

18 2615
toemas
toemas
339 posts
Farmer

so i have been thinking about buying a metal detector lately because i have heard a lot of stories about people finding thing of value ( and i want to find some $_$ ) but i wanted to know everybodyâs opinion about buying one and suggestions on witch one to get

• 18 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

You'll probably only find coins and garbage. Stories of finding valuable stuff are rare. Get an effective one within an acceptable price range, I guess.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

If you're looking to find money with a metal detector, you have to consider what Ghost mentioned - Garbage. For every coin, even the smallest coin to find, would take a lot of effort and searching through random metal objects of no value.

Is it worth the effort?

xNightwish
xNightwish
1,608 posts
Nomad

Just get a (part-time) job for money and but the metal detector for fun. Don't make the detector your job.

AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

Do you see people regularly at the place you want to dig for treasure searching with metal detectors? If so then chances are all the treasure is already found and what remains is rusty garbage.

If you are just going to buy it as a one time thing as in for one place only then I wouldn't buy one. Just borrow one.

PurpleSquishy
PurpleSquishy
150 posts
Shepherd

You would be better off taking the money you would spend on a good detector, investing that in savings, and walk around all day staring at the ground.

spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

You would be better off taking the money you would spend on a good detector, investing that savings, and walk around all day staring at the ground.

he is right. save the 200 dollars for something you might enjoy more often then 2 times a month. in my opinion, dont get one.
Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

You might want to try renting one before you decide to buy one. They aren't cheap.

Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

You'll probably only find coins and garbage. Stories of finding valuable stuff are rare. Get an effective one within an acceptable price range, I guess.

Yeah stories of finding things are really really really REALLY rare, but they just stick with people because they are out of the norm.
kevin8ye
kevin8ye
572 posts
Nomad

i honestly think it's fun, but a waste of time

cje95
cje95
38 posts
Jester

I have one and have never found anything worth more than 25 cents.

toemas
toemas
339 posts
Farmer

ok cool, i have a neighbor with a nice one i can borrow his hehe

Sauron23
Sauron23
275 posts
Peasant

I highly doubt you will find anything of value, but if you really want to, go for it.

thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

Thaboss has always wanted to buy metal plates that have 'you have no life' engraved in them and bury them at the beach. Jk. Sometimes he's wanted to try it, just for fun. He knows he'd never find anything.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

My Dad has one, and the only thing we ever found with it was an old Coke can. I find it hard to believe that some guy can find a $60,000 dollar diamond ring in his spare time.

idigit
idigit
255 posts
Nomad

yes. my sister made a dollar in change at a campground in only 15 minutes. imagine if you put some effort into it.

Showing 1-15 of 18