ForumsThe TavernFlying Cars

7 1402
Mycal101
Mycal101
307 posts
Nomad

[i]When do you think we will finally have flying cars ? I hope its soon.

• 7 Replies
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Never. By the time we near the age when we could get the science and materials required, nuclear war or some apocalypse would have ensued and we'd be back to the Middle Ages, which will be very nice. Less problems.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

It's like asking when we think the world will end, or when we think we'll win the lottery. We don't know.

As much as i'd love one, i'd say accidents would rapidly increase, mhm.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Never. By the time we near the age when we could get the science and materials required, nuclear war or some apocalypse would have ensued and we'd be back to the Middle Ages, which will be very nice. Less problems.

Actually, working prototypes for flying cars already exist. Believe it or not, flying cars are well underway; technologically speaking.

The real problem though is the integration into the actual traffic; probably the reason why we won't see commercial models in a long time. As flying machines, they'd need an airstrip, or airfield depending on the type; something a normal citizen couldn't afford. Additionally, air traffic isn't regulated for cars yet. Finally, considering the amount of accidents on two-dimensional roads, I don't want to imagine the number of deads we'd have with a three-dimensional system.

There is one solution proposed by the Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, if I'm not mistaken, which is that not the person, but the machine itself flies the car, and that the overall traffic is coordinated via GPS or similar devices; but until this is possible, some time will pass.
AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

Actually, working prototypes for flying cars already exist. Believe it or not, flying cars are well underway; technologically speaking.

The real problem though is the integration into the actual traffic; probably the reason why we won't see commercial models in a long time. As flying machines, they'd need an airstrip, or airfield depending on the type; something a normal citizen couldn't afford. Additionally, air traffic isn't regulated for cars yet. Finally, considering the amount of accidents on two-dimensional roads, I don't want to imagine the number of deads we'd have with a three-dimensional system.

There is one solution proposed by the Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, if I'm not mistaken, which is that not the person, but the machine itself flies the car, and that the overall traffic is coordinated via GPS or similar devices; but until this is possible, some time will pass.

I would want everyone who wants to go fly a flying car to first get a license. Otherwise...it wouldn't work out.

Another thing, if the flying car flies itself, I really wouldn't want it. I rather not entrust my life into a machine, but I'd rather fly it myself.

Come on how hard can it be?
After all I'am Ace.
spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

I would want everyone who wants to go fly a flying car get a license.
otherwise...it wouldn't work out.

incorrect my friend. when traveling airspace, there would be no need for roads, speed limits, or traffic signs. hence, no need for a license.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Come on how hard can it be?

Well I'm not Ace, and if I land a flying car the same way I land a learjet in the simulator, people will die.

But you're right.. after hearing stories of GPS systems who navigated the car into forests or out in the sticks, I'd be very suspicious of a flying navigator (especially with flowlines :S)
PurpleSquishy
PurpleSquishy
150 posts
Shepherd

When the greedy oil tycoons need a new source of income, until then the gas prices will keep rising.

Showing 1-7 of 7