ForumsThe Tavernis cryogenic freezing possible ?

17 2998
Mycal101
Mycal101
307 posts
Nomad

I hope so........

• 17 Replies
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

You might want to explain what it means, so that people who don't know can still join in on the discussion.

It means preserving your body through a freezing method.

As for is it possible. Yes.

There are about a half a dozen cryogenics companies in the United States today, all them legitimate companies utilizing the best currently known cryropreservation methodologies. There are two methods these companies use to cryropreserve you after you are legally dead (i.e. your heart has completely stopped beating):

Whole Body Preservation
Neuropreservation
Whole body means just that. Your entire body stays intact and is frozen in liquid nitrogen. Neuropreservation is a euphemism for the macabre thought of having your head severed from your body and just your head stored in liquid nitrogen.

On average, whole body cryropreservation costs about $150,000. Neuropreservation is somewhat cheaper, averaging about $90,000. Some companies also charge an annual membership fee while youâre still alive. These fees average around $500/year.

Additionally, you may pay an additional premium of up to $10,000 for a âstandby teamâ that is by your side as you die who quickly get your brain in a state that has the best probability of being revived intact in the future. (Google âbrain vitrificationâ for more information).

Source.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

The preserving part works, of course; we can see that already with mammoths. But imo it is silly to think they'll be able to revive you someday.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

Even if they could, why would somebody really want that? The majority of your loved ones gone, a whole new world which you are totally uneducated about. Hmf, doesn't seem appealing to me.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Even if they could, why would somebody really want that? The majority of your loved ones gone, a whole new world which you are totally uneducated about. Hmf, doesn't seem appealing to me.

I personally wouldn't mind being periodically revived long enough to study how life and society evolved during my absence, just out of interest :P

But beside the obvious historical value of ancestors, I also ask myself, what would the reason be for society to spend money on reviving old geezers? Even if it was possible, don't be so sure that you'd actually be revived...
Tactical_Fish
Tactical_Fish
776 posts
Blacksmith

It is not possible. You can freeze the body, but that would ensure that the person stays dead.
Human beings are about 70% water, so over half of every one of your cells is made of water. When water freezes, it expands about 9%, meaning that all of your cells would be destroyed. As the water increased in mass, it would tear apart the cell wall, the nucleus, every part of the cell. No cell, no life. I am not referring to phones here.

PurpleSquishy
PurpleSquishy
150 posts
Shepherd

It is already done in reproduction material and some people with enough money have paid for it. The issue is the reanimation process and then has the medical field found the ability to cure each disease.

Moe
Moe
1,714 posts
Blacksmith

The preserving part works, of course; we can see that already with mammoths. But imo it is silly to think they'll be able to revive you someday.

Its not entirely silly, the Wood Frog can do it without our science.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Animals can do a lot of things with out our science, they were assigned numerous creepy and awesome abilities, we got thumbs and a brain.

And yes the freezing is possible, the coming back to life part, not so much. Tactical Fish, if expansion, even cellular, occurred on that level, anyone who had been cryogenically preserved would have shattered shortly after the freezing process. Since that has yet to happen, no dice.

I would love to be able to wake up for brief moments every hundred years or so just to see what was going on, but I feel like that would only last about half a millennium before war erupted and humanity returned once more to the stone age.

spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

i saw this link and i had to check it out, because if i become frozen,
then thawed in 100 years.
technoligy will possibly be wayyyy awesomer then what it is now! YAY!

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

Tactical, if you google it up, there are numerous places that offer it.

i saw this link and i had to check it out, because if i become frozen,
then thawed in 100 years.
technoligy will possibly be wayyyy awesomer then what it is now! YAY!

You're frozen after you die and [currently] not revived. I guess it would be cool if they made it possible to come back and see everything.

You know the way if you have a stroke or something it can take quite some time to get your full ability back? Do you think if it was possible to revive you, you'd have to spend time learning how to walk etc again?

Another hypothetical. If it was possible to revive you [which would cost quite a bit of money] and you paid for it, died, got frozen.. where's the guarantee they'd unfreeze you in fifty years if you requested so?
toemas
toemas
339 posts
Farmer

But beside the obvious historical value of ancestors, I also ask myself, what would the reason be for society to spend money on reviving old geezers? Even if it was possible, don't be so sure that you'd actually be revived...

dude, old people are legit. i know there are a couple that are no good but alot of them are filled Knowledge & wisdom and they tell cool stories XD
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Its not entirely silly, the Wood Frog can do it without our science.

There are also some fish living in ice water at the poles, thanks to natural antifreeze agents, much like the frog. But the difference is, they produce those agents themselves, and they are alive. Cryogenic freezed people don't have such agents, and they're dead. Such agents only make sense before you freeze.

dude, old people are legit. i know there are a couple that are no good but alot of them are filled Knowledge & wisdom and they tell cool stories XD

Nothing against old people, but their knowledge as well as memory are ofen fragmentary, and I doubt people would want to spend much money just to hear an ancestor's stories. They have historical value, as I said, I'm just asking whether it's reason enough for all the trouble.
Moe
Moe
1,714 posts
Blacksmith

There are also some fish living in ice water at the poles, thanks to natural antifreeze agents, much like the frog. But the difference is, they produce those agents themselves, and they are alive. Cryogenic freezed people don't have such agents, and they're dead. Such agents only make sense before you freeze.

Thats only the currently used cryogenic technology. Would it really be that far fetched to study the animals and find a way to reproduce that effect in humans? I could be mistaken, as I can't find it, but don't the frog and other similar animals become clinically dead when they freeze? It should also be worth noting that during various types of surgery the patient is technically dead, yet they survive. It doesn't seem to be that big of a stretch to say that cryogenic freezing and the reviving of that person is entirely within the realm of possibility.
warriorcats123
warriorcats123
694 posts
Nomad

well depends if they cut out your brain to put in another body it actually works by frezeing the brain slightly but you would only be able to move your head because your brain wouldent be conected to the spine so you would die again or if you meant an entire body which depends on if your using todays tech which then you would die or if your using future tech then you could probally live

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Thats only the currently used cryogenic technology. Would it really be that far fetched to study the animals and find a way to reproduce that effect in humans? I could be mistaken, as I can't find it, but don't the frog and other similar animals become clinically dead when they freeze? It should also be worth noting that during various types of surgery the patient is technically dead, yet they survive. It doesn't seem to be that big of a stretch to say that cryogenic freezing and the reviving of that person is entirely within the realm of possibility.

The fish live full-time in the cool water as far as I know; the frog uses it to hibernate, eaming his metabolism is decreased to a minimum, but not to zero. But the problem is, the people currently cryogenized, if I understood correctly, are frozen right after their death. The frog has still living potential after he thaws; those guys don't. The only way you could revive them (assuming their body survived the freezing without harm) would be to find a way to get them back alive. The freezing part doesn't change that bit; most people I think get frozen not to see the future, but in the hope that someday medicine will be able to help their condition. But if they died, then either because a disease destroyed their body, or because of age. If the body is destroyed or 'used', I see no way to get them back. Unless we are able sometime to implant only the brain in some kind of machine, but that's a tad futuristic.. and sick. And costy, which brings me back to doubting that people would do this at all.
Showing 1-15 of 17