ForumsWEPRWhat will happen when the world's armies run out of oil?

77 23510
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

I've been pondering this question for a while. Title says it all. What will happen when there is no oil for the world's militaries? I mean an effective lack of oil, where nothing can be run, and there are no reserves, and no secret caches to be found. No oil, period.

I especially wonder what will happen to the air forces and navies.

• 77 Replies
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

What did I say about cut the heavy armor debate?

deathbewithyou
deathbewithyou
534 posts
Nomad

answering the question at the first page. There are new forms of energy we can use today so if we run out of oil, we can just use some other form of energy.

EnigmaX
EnigmaX
101 posts
Nomad

That is why I used word "implied"

Because even when I say how significant damage can be done on an Abrams, I still somehow imply they're invincible? What?

But a large enough IED can harm them as your yahoo source says.

True, but it took 1500 lbs of explosives, and not too many people have that lieing around.
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

True, but it took 1500 lbs of explosives, and not too many people have that lieing around.

We are talking about all out war here
Because even when I say how significant damage can be done on an Abrams, I still somehow imply they're invincible? What?

Yes you did when we were talking about RPG 29
danielo
danielo
1,774 posts
Peasant

Im affraid to say punisher, but with all of today technoligy, tis very very very hard to destroy a tank not by air force or heavy artilary.

So long the days wher a boy could throw a molotoc cocktail from his window and destroy a tank, or an ambush by guarilla bazooka team could stop an advancing army.

there is a new equipment for tanks made in Israel, its called wind coat. its shoot off anti tanks missles and other threat. RPG will be almost useless now.

an averge militia cannot stop an Abraams, even that this tasnk is far from perfect. maybe an assult on the tank himself in an urban enviorment may work, but i doubt it.

NGcigar
NGcigar
5 posts
Nomad

well if it does happen the military will go back to old tactics; we wont allow something like oil stop us from advancing. It might take longer for the military to do its job, but it will continue to do the same thing just in a different manner, like longer ruck marches.

thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

Im affraid to say punisher, but with all of today technoligy, tis very very very hard to destroy a tank not by air force or heavy artilary.

So long the days wher a boy could throw a molotoc cocktail from his window and destroy a tank, or an ambush by guarilla bazooka team could stop an advancing army.

there is a new equipment for tanks made in Israel, its called wind coat. its shoot off anti tanks missles and other threat. RPG will be almost useless now.

an averge militia cannot stop an Abraams, even that this tasnk is far from perfect. maybe an assult on the tank himself in an urban enviorment may work, but i doubt it

Lebanon war says other wise.
Also I admit a tank can not be completely destroy with out an artillary strike or etc but it can be rendered immobile.
When you are being pounded by a tank, you don't destroy it for fun, you destroy it to save yourself.
Zoom2
Zoom2
9 posts
Justiciar

Solar death rays, it's only a matter of time
But somewhat more seriously, I do think the air force will be increasingly be looking towards solar fuel for unmanned vehicles such as drones to allow for longer flight times with little need to recall them aside from maintenance and reloading.
Navy would probably be looking into hydro-power possibilities for obvious reasons. Heh, they even might return to wind-power options.
The army is a mixed bag with a long history of relying on the other two branches for transport, but would also have to focus on how to run their calvary running again.
Of course, this hypothetical is fairly ridiculous as if the armies have run out of oil, than civilians have also likely run out of oil so we'd all have to face these issues together anyway.

EnigmaX
EnigmaX
101 posts
Nomad

Lebanon war says other wise.

What conflict are you referencing, exactly? Several conflicts could be called 'The Lebanon War.' 1982, 2006, and The Lebanese Civil War, to be specific.

When you are being pounded by a tank, you don't destroy it for fun, you destroy it to save yourself.

Fanaticism won't give you bonus damage. Likewise, no amount of necessity can change the capabilities of a weapon. Hitler's SS were notorious for the devotion to him, but that didn't mean they were any harder to kill. Superior weapons and tactics make a difference, not an intangible concept.
fireangle
fireangle
176 posts
Nomad

I think the when all the oil is gone we should take advantage of it. We could easly change to biofuels and other energies like wind and solar because we already started doing so.

Aoibheann
Aoibheann
3 posts
Shepherd

Massed infantry! All fun and games of course.

thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

What conflict are you referencing, exactly? Several conflicts could be called 'The Lebanon War.' 1982, 2006, and The Lebanese Civil War, to be specific.

EnigmaX
EnigmaX
101 posts
Nomad

Way to once again entirely ignore my other points.

Then what occasion(s) in the 2006 Lebanon War are you talking about?

thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad
EnigmaX
EnigmaX
101 posts
Nomad

The Israeli Merkava isn't as advanced as the Abrams, and relies heavily upon ERA as oppossed to the composite and depleted uranium armour of the US Abrams.

Because as crazy as it sounds, a Merkava isn't an Abrams! Shocking, I know.

Still not responding to my points.

Showing 46-60 of 77