ForumsWEPR[NECRO] Should the Cloning of Humans be allowed?

54 18290
shock457
shock457
708 posts
Shepherd

Another topic I think was weird.

In my opinion, I think it shouldn't be allowed. We are already overpopulated as it is.

• 54 Replies
Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

We are already overpopulated as it is.

What if we weren't overpopulated? Would you still feel the same way about it?

I think it would be fine as long as it didn't get out of control.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I think it would be fine as long as it didn't get out of control.

With the type of people in this world, that wouldn't take long
Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

With the type of people in this world, that wouldn't take long

The government would most likely create regulations regarding it before releasing the technology to the public. Even if they didn't, cloning is a difficult process, and the general public for the most part isn't smart enough to turn it into a hobby! =P
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

What if we weren't overpopulated? Would you still feel the same way about it?

If we weren't overpopulated, i'd be fine with it, with the obvious regulations as mentioned.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

The question is, if it were officially allowed and regulated, why would we make human clones at all? Making clones for a specific purpose would immediately raise moral issues and get grounded (we could use some though, for organs, blood and stem cells).

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

We should work on improving our cloning technology for human use. This would mean being able to create organs and other body parts for someone without rejection. As for cloning an entire human I don't see much of a point in it if we can do set body parts. That human would be an entirely different person. They would just have the same genes as the original.
I suppose at a more extreme level it might be used for brain transplant. But that comes with ethical concerns of what happens to the clones brain. Unless we just grow the body without the brain.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

We're still years away from the proper technology. The legislation itself is light years away to say the least.

As to the uses of cloning, one can dwell into all manner of far fetched science fiction stories to elucidate one's points, but their much too improbable and implausible to comprehend realistically now. As Mage said, the more common applications would lie in organ harvesting for medical reasons.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

The population issue aside, I think morally, it's a bit iffy because after a certain point you're going to have genetic clones of people running around and that's just going to cause problems. Especially because there will be people who say that they're the work of the "devil" and discriminate against them, while others will try to play the, they're not really human, let's make them slaves" card.

Jblaze101
Jblaze101
513 posts
Peasant

I really don't believe we should be looking into that research we have problems already with necessities and I don't think a lot of countries need more than they can handle and where do you mean that this statement adheres too the whole world im guessing.

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

I can't think of a good reason to clone people. Honestly, it would cause moral issues, cost a lot, require more resources and would be met with resistance.

I can think of good reasons for partial cloning however, like growing a new heart or other organ for transplant purposes. If that would be considered cloning anyways.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Especially because there will be people who say that they're the work of the "devil" and discriminate against them, while others will try to play the, they're not really human, let's make them slaves" card.

It would be interesting how the question of a soul would be handled in such a case as creating a completely sapient conscious human.

I really don't believe we should be looking into that research we have problems already with necessities and I don't think a lot of countries need more than they can handle and where do you mean that this statement adheres too the whole world im guessing.

Of course the research should be looked into. There is more than just creating whole clones involved in such research. There is also the development of being able to create specific body parts for transplant.
shock457
shock457
708 posts
Shepherd

Keep in mind that the cloning process isn't enitrely useful. Clones can't survive long enough to reach a normal human's years. That proves the organ useful to a certain extent.

Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

to me, this cloning issue sounds cool, but it's just extremely impractical. why we would want another us running around sounds more narcisistic than smart.

-Blade

OperationNilo
OperationNilo
3,937 posts
Shepherd

why we would want another us running around sounds more narcisistic than smart.

Amen, brother.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Keep in mind that the cloning process isn't enitrely useful. Clones can't survive long enough to reach a normal human's years. That proves the organ useful to a certain extent.

The current problem is the genetic age will remain the same. So say we clone someone who is 35 years old. That clone while they might be an infant will genetically be 35 years old.

to me, this cloning issue sounds cool, but it's just extremely impractical. why we would want another us running around sounds more narcisistic than smart.

genetically speaking it would be us bu otherwise the clone would be an entirely different person. it would be a bit like suddenly having a twin.
Showing 1-15 of 54