ForumsThe TavernBoxing, The Sport of Combat!

16 2788
Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Who here likes Boxing? I like Boxing very much and I love the history about Boxing. What information and history I have gathered about Boxing (from the worlds greatest friend Wikipedia) is that boxing has been in many cultures like Greece, Britain, and even Africans! I personally find boxing to a very gripping sport and it is the only sport I actually am interested in, anyone else here who finds Boxing entertaining? And if you do like it, why do you like it?

• 16 Replies
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,826 posts
Nomad

I like all kind of violent sports.
So yes I like boxing and I wanna train for it.
But more than boxing I like muya thai.

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

So yes I like boxing and I wanna train for it.
But more than boxing I like muya thai.

I actually self taight myself Boxing, it is a very good Martial Arts actually. And Muay Thai is great actually! It is like Thai Lands kickboxing. And to be honest, Muay Thai is better then kickboxing. But it isn't better then boxing in my opinion!
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Boxing? The fighting sport? What about Karate, Aikido, Kendo, Kung Fu, Tai Kwon Do, Judo, Medieval Fencing, and normal Fencing? Boxing is not much compared to those. I suppose if you like it that's fine, but you should experiment with the more ancient traditions first.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

I am pretty sure they have been countless other 'combat sports' before boxing. Throughout the world.

Heck, I've seen more combat intense situations outside of bars.

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Boxing is not much compared to those.

While this is true, boxing isn't just American Boxing. Other countries like the ones I listed above have there own form of boxing. There called Dambe (West African Boxing), Musangwe (African Bare Knuckle Boxing), Pygmachia (Ancient Greek Boxing), Pankration, (Ancient Greek Wrestling and Boxing Hybrid Martial Art), and Chess boxing (OK I don't think this is a sport, it is just a crazy idea). So there are many forms of boxing in many cultures giving boxing a type of "variety".
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

I've always wanted to try boxing. Always seemed like more of a strategic sport rather then skill. Boxing has always appealed to me.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Martial arts aren't sports per se. Most notably, "kung fu" is definitely NOT a sport. Martial arts are not games. Games are made around them (see olympic fencing and TKD) but they are not themselves games. Calling them sports does a disservice to both sports and martial arts.

Boxing, I'd say, is a sport but not a martial art. I don't count it as a martial art because it's all about fighting.

Anyway, stop whining, you jerks. Boxing is cool. Not being the same as other sports doesn't make it not good. And are you seriously complaining that, what, it's not violent enough? That's what I'm getting from Devoidless's comment. Fighting sports have to struggle to prove that they're more than just mindless violence for the entertainment of the masses.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

Martial arts aren't sports per se.

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AQ7KPXpXnE]Look at that! Martial arts... in the Olympics! Man, it definitely isnt a sport.
I am pretty sure they have been countless other 'combat sports' before boxing. Throughout the world.

Yeah, boxing is just the modern/western one.
Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Olympic games feature some elements of some martial arts. Sports are often based on martial arts. But those games aren't the martial art. The art has some things the game doesn't, and the game has things the art doesn't (like things that would make it a sport). You have to make it into a sport, and then it's not the martial art any more. It's a sport based on the martial art.

toemas
toemas
339 posts
Farmer

Boxing is great! But i really like MMA better it trains you in how to box, kickboxing, wrestling, judo, grappling

Boxing? The fighting sport? What about Karate, Aikido, Kendo, Kung Fu, Tai Kwon Do, Judo, Medieval Fencing, and normal Fencing? Boxing is not much compared to those

sorry to be that guy but oh well lol

fencing is great but stuff like Karate, Kung Fu, and Tai Kwon Do are more like dance around wrapped in bubble rap and tap each other with your fist especially Tai Kwon Do i tried it it is Not a fighting sport
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

fencing is great but stuff like Karate, Kung Fu, and Tai Kwon Do are more like dance around wrapped in bubble rap and tap each other with your fist especially Tai Kwon Do i tried it it is Not a fighting sport

How about we pair the masters of those martial arts against the best boxer? He'll get stabbed, punched, kicked, gouged, uppersliced, chopped, and diced in minutes.
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

And are you seriously complaining that, what, it's not violent enough? That's what I'm getting from Devoidless's comment.

I was poking fun at the name of the thread more than anything, I know that, technically, boxing is considered a 'combat sport' to some. I can roll with the label 'fighting sport' better than the other.

Boxing has never been a favourite sport of mine when to comes to 'combat sports.' It's just far too limited and straight forward.
"Alright, go walk towards the other guy right there, try not to get punched in the face while hitting his face. What? No, you can't kick him! Or headbutt him, or strike him with your elbow. You can only punch him. And only after you put on these padded gloves to drag out the event and ensure that you both have crippling brain injuries by the end of your career."
Bluydee
Bluydee
3,426 posts
Nomad

Boxing is great! But i really like MMA better it trains you in how to box, kickboxing, wrestling, judo, grappling

Boxing? The fighting sport? What about Karate, Aikido, Kendo, Kung Fu, Tai Kwon Do, Judo, Medieval Fencing, and normal Fencing? Boxing is not much compared to those

sorry to be that guy but oh well lol

Most Tae Kwon Doe dojoes are known as being as much as McDojoes. They don't teach anything useful about it and hand out black belts to 10 year olds. tHE TEACHERS ARE SIMPLY BEING PAID AND AS SUCH WON'T PUT THEIR HEART OUT TO TEACH KIDS HOW TO ACTUALLY FIGHT.
Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

How about we pair the masters of those martial arts against the best boxer? He'll get stabbed, punched, kicked, gouged, uppersliced, chopped, and diced in minutes.
lol. Boxing, in an actual combat situation, is inferior to, like, real martial arts. The movie Ip Man 2, while overly dramatic of course, has a good, direct visual demonstration of why Chinese martial arts are superior to boxing for fighting.

tHE TEACHERS ARE SIMPLY BEING PAID AND AS SUCH WON'T PUT THEIR HEART OUT TO TEACH KIDS HOW TO ACTUALLY FIGHT.
TKD isn't about fighting. If you go to a place that teaches you how to actually fight and that's it, that's not TKD either. You're doing a disservice to yourself, the art, and the practitioners through history

Ah, yes, I see what you mean, Devoidless. Boxing, while it involves fighting, is different from combat. I don't really watch boxing for the same reasons you mentioned.
Showing 1-14 of 16