ForumsWEPRChinese-Japanese Riots

19 8690
WorstSniper
WorstSniper
1,471 posts
Nomad

Sorry I cannot provide a link, however it should not be hard to find one. Anyways, apparently Chinese and Japanese are rioting over an island dispute which happens to be near petroleum, correct me if I am wrong. What do you think of this? I personally don't think it will continue for much longer, but if I does they shouldn't be going for a war. I think China is smart enough not to attack Japan, and Japan is not supposed to attack anyone anyways. Also if this has been posted before, I apologize.

• 19 Replies
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

I'm assuming you're referring to these.

It's an interesting dispute to be sure, and it was the focus of Secretary Clinton's visit to Asia. From what I gathered the people of China are in quite the huff, but it doesn't seem like the political officials are being very verbose.

As for nuclear weapons, it's highly unlikely, the countries are so close both economically and geographically, that a nuclear incident would hurt both countries rather severely not to mention international fallout from the incident.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

well the islands is 50/50 from both. so i would say as easy solution. get all the ground materials out. see how much you can sell it for and split the pot.

i have to say however that the chinese citizens are overreacting.
they still come up whit japanese militarism from WW2. while japan obviously has changed it's policy on that matter since WW2.
it's just bad of them to bring that up.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

It's just bad memories, Japan was not kind to the Chinese people during their occupation or the Vietnamese for that matter. It takes a long time for that kind of deep bias to wash away, because that's generations of hatred just piled on top of each other.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

A century of rivalry and humiliation has made us feel deeply anti Japanese. Whilst I disagree with China's belligerence in settling the dispute, and because there are hints that the government is sanctioning the riots, but I'm not condemning the historical injustice leasing to such tensed feelings.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

It's just bad memories, Japan was not kind to the Chinese people during their occupation or the Vietnamese for that matter. It takes a long time for that kind of deep bias to wash away, because that's generations of hatred just piled on top of each other.

should we treat china the same way because of mao?
should we treat germany the same way because of hitler?
should we treat russia the same way because of stalin?
should we treat cambodia the same way because of pol pot?

loads of people got bad memories about them. but makes it them right to still bring that back up 67 years to late?
+ everyone knows japan got really scared of militarism after WW2.
it's just wrong of them. only for that point i'm on the side of the japanese for this.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

loads of people got bad memories about them. but makes it them right to still bring that back up 67 years to late?
+ everyone knows japan got really scared of militarism after WW2.
it's just wrong of them. only for that point i'm on the side of the japanese for this.

They have vitriolic anti-Chinese feelings too. The bad memories are deeply engrained, because they clashed with the era where Chinese nationalism was on the rise; the two are almost inexplicably tied.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

They have vitriolic anti-Chinese feelings too.

they don't show it.
there are anti-china protests in japan?

the two are almost inexplicably tied.

isn't that a reason to work together instead of fighting?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Since 2000, Japan has seen a gradual resurgence of anti-Chinese sentiments. The xenophobic sentiments are coupled with the effects of an increasingly tense political relationship between Japan and the People's Republic of China. Many Japanese believe that China is using the issue of the countries' checkered history, such as the Japanese history textbook controversies and official visits to the Yasukuni Shrine, both as a diplomatic card and to make Japan a scapegoat in domestic politics. The Anti-Japanese Riots in Spring of 2005 also caused more fear of China within the Japanese public. Anti-Chinese sentiments in Japan have been on a sharp rise since 2002. According to Pew Global Attitude Project (2008), unfavorable view of China was 84%, unfavorable view of Chinese people was 73%.

There are protests over the Diaoyu Islands.

isn't that a reason to work together instead of fighting?

The two meaning anti-Japanese sentiment and Chinese nationalism.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

loads of people got bad memories about them. but makes it them right to still bring that back up 67 years to late? + everyone knows japan got really scared of militarism after WW2.

For a few years yes, currently no. Japan may not have an official military, but their "Self-Defense Forces" are as good as one and better than quite a few.

Is the Nazi Party not still banned in many European countries, in fact even the party's symbol is banned in these countries. If it has been so long, then why do people still remember?

67 years is not a long time in the grand scope of things, plenty of people still remember it and further more those people passed it down to their descendants. It's been nearly a hundred and fifty years since the end of the American Civil War, but you can still find people that are anti-North, after a time, it's not memories but an actual culture that develops around the ideas of the people.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

For a few years yes, currently no. Japan may not have an official military, but their "Self-Defense Forces" are as good as one and better than quite a few.

ofcours they have a defense. they have a army to protect themselves not to attack anyone. they have said that for atleast 60 year now.

Is the Nazi Party not still banned in many European countries,

manym yes.
all, no.
and their are allot of nationalistic party's. they just do not associate themselves whit the nazi's. (for obvious reason i guess)
in fact even the party's symbol is banned in these countries.

and what counties your talking about now? the symbol isn't banned sofar i know. it's still used by multiple organisations.

67 years is not a long time in the grand scope of things, plenty of people still remember it and further more those people passed it down to their descendants. It's been nearly a hundred and fifty years since the end of the American Civil War, but you can still find people that are anti-North, after a time, it's not memories but an actual culture that develops around the ideas of the people.

thats why it's importent to forget and forgive about those things.
and not memories and bring it back up.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

thats why it's importent to forget and forgive about those things.
and not memories and bring it back up.

It is but the Chinese can't at least for now. Every modern day dispute is linked back to the long history of exploitation by the Japanese, every Chinese movie, history book and the lot. That's why it doesn't go away, because modern day tensions are wrapped up in the same cloth.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

Every modern day dispute is linked back to the long history of exploitation by the Japanese, every Chinese movie, history book and the lot.

sounds allot like 9/11 in the usa. they keep bringing it up all the time aswell.

so we can expect a war in the near future?
-japan bought the land so the stay whit it that it's theirs.
-china can't get over something that happened 67 year ago, so they don't let it go either.

btw i find it kinda weird that china is never tolerant whit protests. but it seems now it gives a nationalistic feeling that they don't care. why isn't the chinese government suppressing the protests like they usually do?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

sounds allot like 9/11 in the usa. they keep bringing it up all the time aswell.

Well to be fair, millions died, and not a few thousand. Also the years of brutal **** and exploitation puts this on a whole new level.

so we can expect a war in the near future?

No. There are American troops in Japan and China isn't as foolish as to go to war for those islands. Costs far outweigh benefits.

btw i find it kinda weird that china is never tolerant whit protests. but it seems now it gives a nationalistic feeling that they don't care. why isn't the chinese government suppressing the protests like they usually do?

China saw 180,000 protests, riots, and mass demonstrations in 2010 alone -- on average about 500 every day -- a number that has likely since increased. It's just not well known in the rest of the world.

The difference in this case, is that it seems the Chinese government has unofficially sanctioned them; furthermore, since many textbooks do have anti-Japanese sentiments, it would be hypocritical of them. Lastly, the protesters are protesting against a foreign entity, not the government itself.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

Lastly, the protesters are protesting against a foreign entity, not the government itself.

the government is responsible for the safety of the japanese within it's borders. they do nothing.

anyway i got a trip to beijing planned in 2 weeks. i will see for myself what actually is going on then.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

the government is responsible for the safety of the japanese within it's borders. they do nothing.

In the commercial hub of Shanghai, hundreds of riot police blocked off roads leading to the Japanese consulate, while hundreds of protesters rallied outside the building, carrying flags, banners and images of Mao. They are protecting the Japanese. What can't be guaranteed is that Chinese protesters burn Japanese cars or restaurants owned by the Chinese themselves; it would be nigh impossible.

I think the violence will really start to increase today; it's a bitter anniversary, 18th September.
Showing 1-15 of 19