ForumsThe TavernDESPERATE iMac trouble! Please help!

12 7333
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

I inserted a disk with a disk cover (thin plastic cover to protect the disk) into my iMac's disk drive, but it cannot come out. It makes the "disk ejecting" whir, but then it saps back without even coming out of the drive. Can anyone help me on this? I know the disk cover is causing the trouble, but I have no idea how retrieve the disk!

• 12 Replies
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

I'm not too familiar with Macs (diehard Windows user here.) Does the disc drive use a tray, or a slot?

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Being Apple, curse them, the disk drive is a slot that is impossible to tamper with. I could slice a knife in, but I'm against it.

Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,370 posts
Nomad

Try to take it apart see if their is any screws you can undo to get the disk drive out to take it apart and get the disc out or if you don't want to try it go to a repair shop.

Armpit
Armpit
784 posts
Nomad

So this is a disk, as in a floppy disk or an external hard drive, correct? You're not referring to a disc, like a CD or a DVD, right?

It's important that you specify the difference so that you aren't given advice on how to remove a disc and not a disk.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Being Apple, curse them, the disk drive is a slot that is impossible to tamper with. I could slice a knife in, but I'm against it.

When you say disc cover, are you referring to the clear plastic thing that comes with blank DVDs?

I wouldn't stick anything in the slot. From what I've seen online, iMac dis-assembly is kind of complicated, I would use caution if you choose that route.

Might have to take it down to the shop. All my experience is with drives that use the tray, so I don't have any ideas... =/

So this is a disk, as in a floppy disk or an external hard drive, correct? You're not referring to a disc, like a CD or a DVD, right?

I'm assuming he is talking about a compact disc drive, since Floppy discs and their equivalent have been obsolete since around 2000, and I highly doubt that an iMac would ship with a floppy disk drive, and since it appears from searching Google, that iMacs refusing to spit out CD's is a common problem.
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Call someone to do it instead of asking random strangers random strangers on the internet.

Armpit
Armpit
784 posts
Nomad

I'm assuming he is talking about a compact disc drive, since Floppy discs and their equivalent have been obsolete since around 2000

A disk could also refer to an external hard drive.

The reason why I'm thinking he's referring to a disk and not a disc is not just because of the spelling, but because he mentioned inserting it with a plastic casing on. You would never do that with a disc, but usually disks are sealed inside some sort of casing, often plastic.

Also, the age of the computer has not been specified.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Also, the age of the computer has not been specified.

The iMac never had a floppy disk drive. It would have to have been purchased separately from the computer.

It doesn't seem like anybody has linked you to an actual guide of some sort, so I'll be the first to do so. If none of those solutions work for you, I suggest you look up other solutions online from sources other than a flash gaming community. You're likely to have more success from at least a semi-professional source.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

The disk is not a floppy disk, it's just a normal DVD with a plastic cover to protect it from scratches.

toemas
toemas
339 posts
Farmer

buy a pc...

no i would press the eject button then grab it and try pulling it it may just be stuck

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

That's the thing. It doesn't come out at all.

Armpit
Armpit
784 posts
Nomad

it's just a normal DVD with a plastic cover to protect it from scratches.

I've never heard of people doing that. Have you inserted discs with plastic covers before or is this the first time?
Showing 1-12 of 12