ForumsThe TavernAny APUSH takers here?

19 4309
zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

I'm taking AP US History (APUSH) this year (10th grade), and I was wondering if anyone else on AG takes this class. If you do, any tips for doing outlines faster, studying for tests, and just getting a good score on the AP Exam in the spring?

• 19 Replies
daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

I took APUSH last year. I didn't do that great on the AP test, I got a 4.

Just do lots of studying. Know your stuff.

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

I took it two years ago. Since it's only US history, the course is fairly linear, which makes it easier, in my opinion, than say AP Euro.

I'm sure you have your own study methods, so the only advice I'll give you is this: approach it logically. What I mean is consider every event in a cause-and-effect manner, tying everything together instead of regarding them separately. It'll make things easier to retain.

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

Since it's only US history, the course is fairly linear, which makes it easier, in my opinion, than say AP Euro.

I think APUSH was harder then Euro. Yes, it is only US history, but that also means that it is only about 300 years of history unlike Euro which was more like 1000. That means the APUSH test is a lot more specific.

How long has your teacher been teaching APUSH zakyman?
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

I think APUSH was harder then Euro. Yes, it is only US history, but that also means that it is only about 300 years of history unlike Euro which was more like 1000. That means the APUSH test is a lot more specific.

That is true; the information is indeed more concentrated and detailed. But it's easier to "understand" because, again, it's a linear course. And while it's nice to have a good or experienced teacher, it's not really necessary for APUSH (or any class for that matter, but whatever). If he sucks, just read through a prep book and do a few practice tests. You'll almost certainly get at least a 4, if not a 5.
zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

How long has your teacher been teaching APUSH zakyman?

He's been a teacher for over 25 years, but i dont know about APUSH. He's not a bad teacher (I love the class), but the outlines are killer and the tests are difficult lol
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I took APUSH last year...hated it. Not because of the class but because of the way my teacher taught...he just quickly threw facts out at us, gave us very minimal time to take notes, had us read about 3 different books, and would randomly give us essays over "recommended" readings.

The best thing I can help you with is the score...start studying for the test now. Study every important thing you get and continue studying it (along with all the other important study materiel) until the test. For the essay portion, I B.S.-ed my way through em

_Spaz_
_Spaz_
143 posts
Nomad

First thing you should do is go to your library and ask for the APUSH exam study booklet (If they have it) It is filled with information that you will need to pass tests and exams. You should know to take notes in class. My teacher stood in front of class and talked and we took notes and he made us print out chapter questions and do them out of the book. Best thing you can do besides the book is read the chapter and read it again. Hope this helped good luck!

*It also helps to like history as a subject!*

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I dropped it. I didn't feel like taking an AP class I wouldn't need in the future. Right now I'm in AP Calc and AP Computer Science. Next year I won't be taking any AP classes. Just programming classes, because that's what I want to do. It's also my Senior year and I already have all the credits I need, so I'll only have 4 classes each semester.

_Spaz_
_Spaz_
143 posts
Nomad

That's cool Salvidian! I had a friend take AP CS and he didn't like it very much, they do a lot of java I heard And I can learn that on my own haha... APUSH is great only because I like history.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,745 posts
King

Is it silly for me to think that it's really weird to have a particular class/subject in school that is soley about your country's history?! (o.O)

We have history in general here in the Netherlands, nothing specific about our country other than parts of that woven into the history lessons throughout... =)

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Is it silly for me to think that it's really weird to have a particular class/subject in school that is soley about your country's history?! (o.O)

The United States is full of people who take pride in themselves, so of course we're going to have a class on ourselves. This isn't the only one; we're offered American Studies, US Literature, US Revolution Studies, and I'm sure anyone going into the historical field will take 5-6 US history classes in college.
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

I don't live in America, and I don't take history at school at all. So all my knowledge of American history comes out of self-interest.

The United States is full of people who take pride in themselves, so of course we're going to have a class on ourselves.

That made me chuckle for some reason.
daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

We have AP European history too. No offense but your country is boring and didn't really do much at all.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

We have AP European history too. No offense but your country is boring and didn't really do much at all.

Europe isn't a country. It's a continent composed of a lot of countries. C'mon, daleks, you didn't know this?

Anyway, Europe gratefully hosted both of the world wars, went through dozens of economic collapses and reforms, countries have risen and fallen, tons of innovations and scientific discoveries began there, and the list goes on and on! Europe has, in my opinion, the richest and fullest history in the world.
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Europe isn't a country. It's a continent composed of a lot of countries. C'mon, daleks, you didn't know this?

Anyway, Europe gratefully hosted both of the world wars, went through dozens of economic collapses and reforms, countries have risen and fallen, tons of innovations and scientific discoveries began there, and the list goes on and on! Europe has, in my opinion, the richest and fullest history in the world.

Why do I feel like he was talking about the Netherlands?
Showing 1-15 of 19