ForumsGamesPC vs CONSOLE

124 29507
KayHai
KayHai
13 posts
Peasant

which do you think is better? what are your thoughts about the next generation of consoles in regards to the PC?

• 124 Replies
Moe
Moe
1,715 posts
Blacksmith

Emulators are illegal most of the time, so I wouldn't say that's much better then just playing the game on the console.

Emulators aren't illegal in the US, I don't know about other countries. Its the roms that are questionable. Of course you can also use the disks from more modern consoles and ignore the whole problem.
arfmaster
arfmaster
138 posts
Nomad

i'd vote for PC. it always win this debate.

Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

Roms are illegal because every game you see is going to have some sort of copyright either in the game itself or on the game manual.

Likely you won't be caught using an emulator because really who is going to be in your house looking at your computer. And I am sure that knowing the police I have seen they arent going to arrest you for playing a nintendo game on your PC or even know to report that kind of thing to the FBI.

Mentioning PC vs Console, why pick one over the other. The games both have are great, youve got your PlayStation exclusives and you Xbox exclusives. Of course I guess you have the nintendo "things".

The PC is always going to be what you make it. So whatever time and money you spend making it great will determine your PC. To build a new one from scratch its about $500-$600 for a PC that can run about anything.
Steam always has good deals on games and I think I have only paid the full price on about 2 games and I have roughly 80 games. So I have saved a lot of money just in game cost.
Also if anything fails on your PC it is much easier to replace and requires little to no labor at all. Just open up the case pop the bad thing out put the new good thing in. Mother Boards and processors are a little harder to switch out but still not too bad.

On the other hand there are just some things that a console is always going to be good at. You will never have your operating system tie you down and updates are separate before the game launches. You wont have to worry about windows updates bogging you down. The console is made for controllers so you wont have to download additional drivers for your device. In its simplicity it is just turning it on and its ready to go.
The biggest problem with consoles is usually the fact that you have to put in a disc for games and if that disc gets scratched then you are screwed.
But you can download games now so that is a plus.

After having a PC an Xbox and a PS3, my biggest problem is that **** xbox is always getting the ring of death or some stupid error and that PSN is pretty much just outright terrible. And pretty much if your console breaks then you need a new one and its harder to replace parts.

So I would have to say I like the PC more just because I have mine setup to to where I dont have to mess around with it to get games to run or anything. Its just smooth and ready to go

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

Roms are illegal because every game you see is going to have some sort of copyright either in the game itself or on the game manual.

NES games for example are copyright free.
and Roms not always games. roms can be used for other programes aswell.
Noobclone
Noobclone
127 posts
Peasant

I'm fairly sure playing abaondon ware isnt' illegal. But if they are currently making money off the game (aka Wii shop) then it would be illegal.

Basically abandon-ware to me means, in reference to consoles: even if you tried to buy the real game as legitimately as possible, none of the money would have even the slightest chance of getting back to the original producers of the game. Most console games of the past have had this happen to most of their games eventually. (zelda series being an exception etc) I call them "abandon-ware", even though that is used mainly for PC games where the company went under for whatever reasons, and the game is unavailable by official means anymore.

I personally go with both. W/e computer games/emulators I can play. And console games I can play for what I've got. I don't have much though :|. Computer-wise or console wise.

Currently saving up to get a new computer, one better than my 8 year old Athlon 2.

JunkAngel
JunkAngel
23 posts
Nomad

I don't have a decent enough computer to run video games smoothly, so it's console for me.

Moe
Moe
1,715 posts
Blacksmith

Roms themselves aren't illegal. In fact in the US you can make a digital copy of just about any form of media for personal use/backup. It only becomes illegal when you download copyrighted game roms.
skunk940
skunk940
21 posts
Peasant

Consoles by far. Better controlls, more focused, cheaper. Consoles also last alot longer than computers.

PC you can customize it to the way you want it.
Console you get what you get

Consoles now (PS3 is a good example) have a large leval of user customization as computers.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Consoles now (PS3 is a good example) have a large leval of user customization as computers.

Actually you can manually modify about anything that's on a computer. Consoles have modifiable cosmetic and audio settings, but they have quite a few limitations.
Moe
Moe
1,715 posts
Blacksmith

Better controlls

PCs can use any controller they want, giving them better controls.

more focused

They are moving away from that though.

cheaper

Yes and no. We are almost, if not already, at the point where you can build a computer equal to or better than a PS3 or 360 for the same cost.

Consoles also last alot longer than computers.

Older consoles, yes. Newer consoles, no. Even if they did, it would actually be a huge disadvantage. PCs can be upgraded over time to keep up increases in graphics, physics, and general gameplay. Consoles can't, which has led to the current problem where the current consoles (PS3 and 360) are holding back the advancement of games.

From what I remember of the PS4 its conceivable consoles are moving in that direction, but PS3 customization options don't even match laptops, much less desktops. And if you mean ingame options, PC games are still way ahead of console games.
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,769 posts
Chamberlain

Yes and no. We are almost, if not already, at the point where you can build a computer equal to or better than a PS3 or 360 for the same cost.

We're still a ways off from that but some day it'll happen. But in a way great PCs are a bit cheaper than a console. Think of it this way, you're buying a new PC so you have your price and all so you buy your computer. After that you spend the same amount of money you would have spent on a console to upgrade it and then you have a computer to rival the next generation of consoles. And if you do that same thing only with a build it yourself then who knows how much superior your computer will be compared to a console. I just looked up individual pieces on newegg.com and for about $650 you can in fact get a very nice computer if you build it yourself.

And in case any of you were considering bringing up size, no. Just no. Yes it is pricey but the point is that it's the size of an Xbox and built for parts to be replaced.
Moe
Moe
1,715 posts
Blacksmith

We're still a ways off from that but some day it'll happen.

With current generation APUs we are either there or extremely close. Once the PS4 and 720 are released PCs won't match them for the same cost, but the current consoles are so outdated its just sad.

I just looked up individual pieces on newegg.com and for about $650 you can in fact get a very nice computer if you build it yourself.

If you are careful about where you buy parts you can get that down to about $500.
Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

We're still a ways off from that but some day it'll happen. But in a way great PCs are a bit cheaper than a console.

The first PS3's went as high as $599 in the U.S. I can almost guarantee that the PS4 might be nearly $1000. Meaning that a PC would be cheaper and better anyway.
Also console graphics are never the same. The PC always seems to have better graphics. And its adjustable proving customization is even more prevalent than Consoles. PC can technically play any game through the use of emulators.
Consoles don't have any mods for their games.
Even if you were going to say that you don't like mods consider this:
Developers always quit working on their games at some point. And Bethesda always seems to never fix all their bugs. So that means it is up to the Modding community to fix these bugs.
Oblivion had this terrible bug that made it so you couldn't use Fathis Ules as a fence and he had 1500 gold to barter with making him the best fence in the game. Also There are plenty of thieves Guild glitches that make the game hard to work with on any console.
So PC will always have more customization and is better in many ways
ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

I can almost guarantee that the PS4 might be nearly $1000

That's a ludicrous claim and I will bet you money you're completely wrong.
Sony has learnt from their past mistakes and knows that pricing a console this high is akin to shooting themselves in the foot.

Also console graphics are never the same. The PC always seems to have better graphics.
Totally unprovable. I'm not even sure what you mean.

PC can technically play any game through the use of emulators.
There is no such thing as a PS3 or XBox 360 emulator as far as I know, meaning you can't play console exclusives. While it is technically true that you can emulate older consoles, that's not even the point of this discussion.

And its adjustable proving customization is even more prevalent than Consoles.
Consoles don't have any mods for their games.

These, however, are valid arguments for PC gaming.
Moe
Moe
1,715 posts
Blacksmith

Totally unprovable. I'm not even sure what you mean.

Not unprovable, PCs are capable of much better graphics, using models with higher polygon counts and higher resolution textures. Though in truth graphics should mean very little to games.

There is no such thing as a PS3 or XBox 360 emulator as far as I know

There are, but they current require an extremely high end computer and are still extremely unstable. And while I don't know about the Wii U the Wii does have a working emulator that doesn't require an extremely high end computer.

While it is technically true that you can emulate older consoles, that's not even the point of this discussion.

Yes it is. If you are comparing anything you have to look at all the capabilities of what you are comparing. PCs can emulate almost every console ever made, while no console on the market goes back more than a generation or two of its own line. That gives PCs a distinct advantage in the available games.
Showing 61-75 of 124