Forums

ForumsProgramming Forum

What programs to use?

Posted Sep 22, '12 at 11:55pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

4,299 posts

If I wanted to do something like that where would I start?

I suppose that depends on your skill. If you don't know anything, then download GMLite and try the tutorials. YouTube videos also help out quite a bit if you're stuck.

Oh, and remember that AG only accepts games made in the FLV format, or flash. When you're ready to start, buy Adobe Flash or download Stencyl. They produce games in FLV, but they're hard to use if you're a beginner.

Get a team. Buy a microphone, game making program, and make a schedule.

When making your game, write the story your character is going to go through. Sketch some art of what you want them to look like. Also figure out what weapons, features, and all that other stuff you want. Then proceed to designing levels. Figure out if you want bosses, locked doors, upgrades and put them where you want them to be.

One you have the "blueprints" on paper, have one guy make the graphics, one guy record and edit sounds, and one guy do programming stuff. When you start this stuff you're probably 2 weeks into your project.

Once you think you're done, play it over and over and over again. Make sure you move you character into every nook and cranny to test for glitches. Die at the ends of every enemy. Talk to every NPC. Test everything. Once you like it, send to AG and wait for that seal of approval. A team of 3-4 people could probably get this done in a month and will spend anywhere between $20 to $200, depending on your tastes.

Oh, and try to do this with friends. Friends are cheap, if not free, and will be more willing to accommodate to your schedule, and it's plain fun to do it with people you know well.

Posted Sep 23, '12 at 12:10am

_Spaz_

_Spaz_

145 posts

I am taking a senior cartooning class, I worked on story boarding and designs for characters. I believe this will help me in the process of making a game. I can already think of one person (friend) that would want to do this.

Posted Sep 23, '12 at 12:13am

Salvidian

Salvidian

4,299 posts

I am taking a senior cartooning class, I worked on story boarding and designs for characters. I believe this will help me in the process of making a game. I can already think of one person (friend) that would want to do this.

That's actually really good. I find the story is the hardest part for me. I'd get some people to help out with your game before you get any farther though. People might not want to work on a game if they don't have any say in how it's going to play out.

Posted Sep 23, '12 at 12:48am

_Spaz_

_Spaz_

145 posts

I have so many ideas that I want to put on paper, I can't draw that well but I can write it down well. I think if I can work together with my team and compromise on a story and have a person who specifies in drawing well put my words into drawing, then I think we can work together very well. I am very open to ideas and are willing to compromise.

Posted Sep 23, '12 at 1:01am

Salvidian

Salvidian

4,299 posts

I have so many ideas that I want to put on paper, I can't draw that well but I can write it down well. I think if I can work together with my team and compromise on a story and have a person who specifies in drawing well put my words into drawing, then I think we can work together very well. I am very open to ideas and are willing to compromise.

Well, considering that most people judge a game on how it looks, you'll need a kick-*** graphic designer. I also helps to do a little marketing work. Who would like your game? Probably teenage males and young adults, right? Maybe stick with dark, dramatic colors. The color scheme on Decision was incredible. You might want to look into how that game looked. It was beautiful. Armor Mayhem also had a delightfully charming look that worked fantastically. Zombotron worked in the same way.

Posted Sep 23, '12 at 1:03am

_Spaz_

_Spaz_

145 posts

Yes it did Drew in my attention! I am defiantly taking this all into consideration. WHERE IS MY NOTEPAD!!!!!?????

Posted Sep 23, '12 at 1:33am

_Spaz_

_Spaz_

145 posts

Ok, I am downloading Stencyl and I will mess around with it and get some flash game knowledge into my brain.

Posted Sep 23, '12 at 1:41am

Salvidian

Salvidian

4,299 posts

Ok, I am downloading Stencyl and I will mess around with it and get some flash game knowledge into my brain.

Alrighty then. Remember to ask if you have any questions.

Posted Sep 23, '12 at 2:13am

_Spaz_

_Spaz_

145 posts

You got it! Thanks very much! ( I just created a basic Jump & Stomp game) Very excited.

Reply to What programs to use?

You must be logged in to post a reply!