ForumsThe TavernWhat did you learn today?

2124 684427
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

You learn something new every day, whether or not you realize it right away. There are no exceptions to this rule.

Today I learned the difference between bowler hats, pork pie hats and fedoras. Before today, they were all just fedoras to me. It never occurred to me that all three of these different hat styles had different names.

I also learned that Roseanne is Jewish, and that gummy shot glasses exist.

http://giantgummybears.com/images/products/ShotGlasses-11Flavors.jpg

It doesn't have to be anything life-changing or significant or anything, just something that you learned. So AG, I ask you now, what did you learn today?

• 2,124 Replies
VonHeisenbourg
VonHeisenbourg
377 posts
Peasant

The "sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick" is said to be the toughest tongue twister in the English language.

Astounding isn't it?

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

I learned that, in certain nations, an operating room is sometimes called an "operating theater"... and that it's also common for there to be a general practitioner in small villages in England!

Can anyone tell what I've been watching?

fireangle
fireangle
176 posts
Nomad

I learned from my friend in school that the Grinch, in the movie with actors, is often seen nacked in front of children. Also I am apperently now rich from B-day money a month later.

Isn't that wonderful?

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

The "sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick" is said to be the toughest tongue twister in the English language.

I wouldn't call it tough, just tedious. I can say it just fine without a single slip of the tongue, but all those consonant sounds running together take a long time to pronounce as far as pronunciation goes, so it's really only difficult physically and not mentally like most tongue twisters are.

Can anyone tell what I've been watching?

I didn't know there were other Doc Martin fans in the community. Welcome to Portwenn.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I knew this before...but want to share it..

Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.

That is a legitimate sentence

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

I learned that getting 5 hours of sleep isn't going to work.

~~~Darth Caedus

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

That apparently I smell somewhat metallic when I'm sick.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

Thanks to today's Google logo, I learned that Bram Stoker was from Ireland. Having written the famous Dracula, I always thought he was from Russia or some other eastern European country. I never would have expected him to be Irish.

tegan190
tegan190
783 posts
Nomad

Today I learned that even though Jesse may seem crazy at times, He's almost always right. Thanks breaking bad.

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Today I learned that Google Voice command for a smartphone is amazing! I finally have the choice to be lazy and not type, but I still will type messages. I am doing that now. lol

VonHeisenbourg
VonHeisenbourg
377 posts
Peasant

I recently learned from Jacen that Jacen was Darth Cadeus's real name. The AG gamer Jacen told me this. I also recently learned that Darth Cadeus is a character from Star Wars.

It's all amazing really.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I learned, over the course of the last few days, that it is hard to continue my level of activity on AG when dead tired from my work having me work 4 days in a row (collecting 22 hours)

Dishwashing isn't fun...especially when very very busy 2 of those days and having to close each day

Skulltivator
Skulltivator
630 posts
Nomad

I learned that forum text has gotten very small.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

I learned that the Memphis BBQ burger from Carl's Jr doesn't contain very much pulled pork. Actually, compared to the advertisement, the burger itself contains almost nothing in terms of a secondary meat product.

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/739057/thumbs/o-CARLS-JR-PULLED-PORK-BURGER-570.jpg?4

The fried onion straws took up about three times as much vertical space as however much pork there was actually on the burger. I've seen misleading fast food ads, but this is just ridiculous.

VonHeisenbourg
VonHeisenbourg
377 posts
Peasant

I've learned how to change the colour of text on your "about" section in your profile.

Showing 271-285 of 2124