ForumsThe TavernWhat did you learn today?

2124 684148
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

You learn something new every day, whether or not you realize it right away. There are no exceptions to this rule.

Today I learned the difference between bowler hats, pork pie hats and fedoras. Before today, they were all just fedoras to me. It never occurred to me that all three of these different hat styles had different names.

I also learned that Roseanne is Jewish, and that gummy shot glasses exist.

http://giantgummybears.com/images/products/ShotGlasses-11Flavors.jpg

It doesn't have to be anything life-changing or significant or anything, just something that you learned. So AG, I ask you now, what did you learn today?

• 2,124 Replies
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Dedicated to my lovely boss who almost used anhydride acetic instead of anhydrous acetic acid to do a test.

What would the equation have read if that had happened? Organic chem was a long time ago for me...

TIL that the New England Journal of Medicine publishes many of their full articles for free, thus I now have a large stack of paper to "read" tomorrow, at "study group".
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

That when I think I do really well in Physics I still do just pretty bad. Studied so much for it too.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

That I need to study for my East African Countries quiz tomorrow.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

That's not even remotely true. It's legal to anyone over the age of 18/19, depending on the province.

You all should start to fact-check what you post here. I mean, really now.

Jesty
Jesty
103 posts
Nomad

I learned that too much smoking is dangerous to our health. That's why i quit smoke.

Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,484 posts
Jester

I did learn that the legal drinking age in Mexico is 18. Maybe that family vacation to Cancun this spring break won't be so bad after all...

kegaumongo
kegaumongo
2,155 posts
Grand Duchess

What would the equation have read if that had happened? Organic chem was a long time ago for me...

Luckily, as she was using it as a solvent and not as a reagent and under those specific conditions, nothing too serious (or dangerous to my physical integrity) would've happened. Maybe just an incorrect result.
Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,484 posts
Jester

I learned that the measure I voted for on Tuesday passed. I have to wonder now if it wouldn't have had I not voted for it...

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

I learned that ooblik doesn't taste as good as it looks...

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

I learned that March 8 is International Women's Day. Where would I be without the Google homepage...

IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

I learned that there vets come on AG much more than I thought.

They're just sitting there. Lurking.

I also learned that the large majority of people when asked to guess a vegetable (Guess one now) will get this.

IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

Arghhh. I no say english well.

I learned that a large portion of the vets still visit AG.

Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,484 posts
Jester

I learned that, after shaving the beard I've had since the beginning of the school year, I still have a chin. I kind of had a hunch it was there, but I couldn't remember what it looked like.

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

I learned that March 8 is International Women's Day. Where would I be without the Google homepage...

OMG I know right! xD

And also I learned that the Wind Chime is an instrument. I honestly don't understand how though...
Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,484 posts
Jester

I also learned that almost all Chinese people are lactose intolerant.

The ability to tolerate lactose after babyhood is actually a genetic mutation. Since China has never been a milk-drinking culture, the gene never evolved beyond it's original form in most of the population.

Scientists identify lactose intolerance mutation.
Showing 421-435 of 2124