ForumsThe TavernWhat did you learn today?

2124 684734
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,349 posts
Bard

You learn something new every day, whether or not you realize it right away. There are no exceptions to this rule.

Today I learned the difference between bowler hats, pork pie hats and fedoras. Before today, they were all just fedoras to me. It never occurred to me that all three of these different hat styles had different names.

I also learned that Roseanne is Jewish, and that gummy shot glasses exist.

http://giantgummybears.com/images/products/ShotGlasses-11Flavors.jpg

It doesn't have to be anything life-changing or significant or anything, just something that you learned. So AG, I ask you now, what did you learn today?

• 2,124 Replies
Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

I learned something fun, I learned that the US Embassy in Iran was taken over by the Iranians in the past. I hope I got that right... well anyways, thanks to Daleks, I now know this. Huzza!

Balloon__Girl
Balloon__Girl
213 posts
Shepherd

I learned something fun, I learned that the US Embassy in Iran was taken over by the Iranians in the past. I hope I got that right... well anyways, thanks to Daleks, I now know this. Huzza!

Yes, and the Canadian embassy managed to smuggle some of the Americans that avoided capture out of Iran by giving them Canadian passports.

Also, I learned today that the Canadian Hemlock tree produces the smallest pinecone.
Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Today I learned how to properly make Ethanol. I have had a lot of failures in the past. The trick is, to have a 1:2 of water and sugar. I hope it works out this time...

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,349 posts
Bard

I learned how much easier GIMP is to use than MS Paint. It may just be that GIMP is far more advanced a program with a much wider variety of features, but anything I make using GIMP looks a thousand times better than anything I make in MS Paint. I can't seem to make anything non-pixely in Paint.

VonHeisenbourg
VonHeisenbourg
377 posts
Peasant

I learned that lesbian in the 1590s, was defined: &quotertaining to the island of Lesbos," from L. Lesbius, from Gk. lesbios "of Lesbos," Greek island in northeastern Aegean Sea (the name originally may have meant "wooded&quot, home of Sappho, great lyric poet whose erotic and romantic verse embraced women as well as men, hence meaning "relating to homosexual relations between women"

Link

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

I learned that John (Jean) Baptist De La Salle is the patron saint of teachers. That explains why so many Catholic educational institutions have something named for him!

Skulltivator
Skulltivator
630 posts
Nomad

I learned that as of 2008, Mr Goodbar does not use cocoa butter in their chocolate.

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

Lol, I learned that the name of Ray J's 2007 hit song is actually "Sexy Can I"... all this time I thought it was "Sexy Can". =P

PurpleSquishy
PurpleSquishy
150 posts
Shepherd

Life is always a twist of irony.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,349 posts
Bard

I learned something very interesting about how John F. Kennedy was elected president. Chicago mayor Richard Daley helped JFK steal the election by stuffing the ballot boxes with false votes allowing Kennedy to win the state of Illinois. He won Cook County by 450,000 votes.

Wikipedia gave me the details. I learned the rest from a human source.

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Today I learned something very interesting, my rage has just elevated into wrath. Yesterday I was very upset, to say the least, so upset that I managed to melt Ice Cream. Yup! I have a bowl of Ice Cream and it melted from my wrath. Woo hoo!!! Now lets see if I could melt people.........

Just kidding.........

Skulltivator
Skulltivator
630 posts
Nomad

I learned that today is the day this year we set our clocks back for daylight savings time.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,349 posts
Bard

I learned that gingivitis is not bothersome when eating scads of candy, but the moment real food enters the equation (and the mouth), there's that sting again. How have I not ever noticed this before?

I also learned that orange Nerds are delicious.

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

I learned that two of our forum sections have had their names changed within the past 24 hours--Support & Suggestions has become Support Only and AGv3 has become Feedback and Suggestions--and we now have a new forum section for MMOs! Also, Flash Games and Video Games are switched around for some reason and Game Walkthroughs is all the way at the bottom...

Balloon__Girl
Balloon__Girl
213 posts
Shepherd

I learned that some customer service agents can actually be helpful sometimes.Who knew?! :P

Showing 241-255 of 2124