ForumsNews and FeedbackSignatures

63 14649
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

I have relized that people love to put their signatures at the bottom of their posts, so I thought about it and relized that Armorgames should let us have signatures, where we could make our own with limited space. I would say more but I'm really tired and its like 1am here.

• 63 Replies
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

It's midnight here and I'm tired too. I see no reason to hold back.

Anyway, signatures used to be pretty popular, but demand for them pretty much vanished into oblivion. You still see the boring, generic text signatures like "-Sal" but image sigs are gone. I don't think there's enough demand, if any, for an automatic sig-adding system.

alexandrica
alexandrica
100 posts
Nomad

an automatic sig-adding system

good ideea!i wanted to sugest this with image signs (first i saw image signs on another forum),but then in realised that image signs aren't a good ideea for this forum.the signs like mine,jeff1999's,manlyman's and chillz's (maybe are more) are better than image signs because it makes the post to look like a "letter" that you just read than a post like thousand's other posts that are on the internet in a forum.some of the signs also describe you.

-Alexandrica the archer-
PS:it discribes me because i LOVE archers
Jeff1999
Jeff1999
1,356 posts
Farmer

In my opinion automatic signatures arent a bad idea. But it could be a good idea if people could just not put signatures too. There could also be a signature character limit so the signature is not too long like:

-1999th Jeff has said his words.

If there wont be a limit, spammers who are kinda alot here will use the signatures and use them very long so they wouldnt get in trouble. So about signatures this is whats required (in my opinion):

Auromatic signature adding system as Salvidian said
Enableing and disableing the signature system
Signature character limit

-Jeff

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I'm not saying they aren't beneficial. I'm saying if the admins promised this, it would go at the bottom of their priorities list and we wouldn't see it for years. Plus, you never know, maybe they'll lose their priorities list and say "What are you talking about? We never promised anything new, exciting, and in the form if an update."

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Aside from the fact that I really don't see the point of having signatures... users already have their username posted with their post and it makes for an easy way to miss-use it ...I also don't see the point of allowing this, simply because the forum activity is way too low for introducing this sort of stuff for users... =/

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,769 posts
Chamberlain

yeah i have't been seeing many signatures anymore now that i've stopped (since i was the one doing them most of the time) but i have decided to put my signature at the end of every post on the 6th and 19th of every even numbered month

ellock
ellock
385 posts
Blacksmith

Well, I find signatures pretty pointless. You have a lot of other ways to identify who the person is. While it does make it look more appealing, it is not a practical thing to do. I mean it just takes up 30 seconds so it is not like it is a long drawn out process. I just think that the time it would take to make something like that and the amount of people that would use it properly would not add up. Plus it would give spammers another way to be a pain and it would be another thing to keep up to date. I don't think they are worth it

~Cole (I did this for irony)

Unkown
Unkown
958 posts
Nomad

I would say signatures are often a prominent feature of forums, but really, like ellock said, just as much bad can come out of it as good. Really a neutral subject, you'd have to get some more opinions from users to get serious about them.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I think it's a worthy feature, but not a necessary one. It personalizes the experience more, sigs are often quirky and reflective of the person, and they get rid of Forum uniformity. I don't think vulgarity or non PG material will be a big problem; only people who post would have sigs, and since there aren't many of us, not to mention users who actively report discrepancies in behavior, it's easily solvable. It's not like the avatar problem with millions of users.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Signatures will probably help people identify others, especially if they are not just plain text.

p.s. photo's stand out more than text, which is why some people are probably identified by the armatar they use (chillzmaster for example)

~~~Darth Caedus

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

I don't happen to like the idea. I've been on forums that allowed sigs, and what ends up happening is that the entire forum gets clogged up with images, and then each page ends up being three times as long, making it much more difficult to read through threads. As has been mentioned, your username and armatar already appear next to your post. What good is a signature if all it does is take up space in your post?

Blackbeltr0
Blackbeltr0
769 posts
Jester

for AGMOT i sign

~Commanding General*** Black

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

unless you have a unique armatar or it is seasonal, then you can not identify with that, and as I said, text doesn't stand out as well as images.

~~~Darth Caedus

_Spaz_
_Spaz_
143 posts
Nomad

Sometimes it gets annoying to read a forum when you see a page long sig...so it should be limited. Take for instance the Dead frontier forum, it was crazy trying to read stuff! Just a thought.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I don't happen to like the idea. I've been on forums that allowed sigs, and what ends up happening is that the entire forum gets clogged up with images, and then each page ends up being three times as long, making it much more difficult to read through threads. As has been mentioned, your username and armatar already appear next to your post. What good is a signature if all it does is take up space in your post?

Have we really gotten that lazy? It's just scrolling.
Showing 1-15 of 63