ForumsWEPRSalmonella Outbreak

15 4574
Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) currently released a warning that Salmonella has been found in Red Plum, Red Roma and Round Red tomatoes. That would explain that when you last ordered your burger from McDonalds, there were no tomatoes!

Some may ask what Salmonella really is, so here is the definition from this site.
[url]http://www.spondylitis.org/patient_resources/glossary.aspx[/url]
A group of bacteria comprising many different types that may cause intestinal infection and diarrhea called salmonellosis, which includes typhoid fever. Enteric infections with Salmonella, Shigella, Yersinia, or Campylobacrer are the most common triggers for reactive arthritis, especially in some developing parts of the world.

Now in this thread, maybe talk about some experiences or your thoughts on this subject. Remember, no spam blah blah blah, I am sure you know it

• 15 Replies
Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

It is in the Roman lettuce. That is mostly served in schools and cafeterias and cafes. So only if you regularly eat at those places should you worry. It is not something that you would find in a supermarket.

gman1000
gman1000
978 posts
Nomad

How can salmonella spread through tomatoes? I though it was only in meat.

Snakebite
Snakebite
996 posts
Nomad

When vegetables and meat OR blood of any kind come in contact with each other, outbreaks like this happens.

Somehow our tomatoes came in contact with meat or blood.

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,204 posts
Farmer

So that's what is happening to the tomatos! I thought they had some sort of plant disease, not sure on the correct term, didn't know it was a bad thing, thought they were just rotten =o

Anywayz,I don't know much about disease spreading and such but it's all probably just the product of a careless person. And isn't the Salmonella Virus(i think) on some reptiles? Or is that a different thing?

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

You are right Raptor, after touching of snakes and other reptiles you should always wash your hands thoroughly because salmonella grows on their skin.

garifu
garifu
145 posts
Shepherd

Two things:

1. That's why I grow my own tomatoes! Watch out for bunnies and woodchucks >:<

2. If you get bloody diarrhea, you're in trouble... That's probably the Salmonella

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Well, this case of Salmonella is actually caused by cow manure. Some may know that cow manure is a very good fertalizer, but you should never use that manure on crops that are eaten, because cow manure does have minerals in it that start Salmonella. I heard that these tomatoes came from Mexico, but I could be wrong. I believe that the FDA does know that the tomatoes did NOT come from Florida, a big tomato exporting state.

SkullZero1
SkullZero1
511 posts
Nomad

If you get bloody diarrhea, you're in trouble

i don't think bloody diarrhea is the problem, i thought that you got so much that you got dehydration.

>.< eww....
Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

I believe both are affect of salmonellosis. Google could tell you alot more info on this outbreak if you really want to show what you can find.

garifu
garifu
145 posts
Shepherd

There are multiple bacteria in the Salmonella genus, but the one to worry about is the one that causes dysentery (aka bloody diarrhea). But you're right, the strain that's on the tomatoes could be a non-bloody diarrhea, I'm not really up on the news.

kielzanie
kielzanie
473 posts
Nomad

yeah this is really bad. thats why i always cook my vegetables. and i dont like eating outside people should keep an eye out in the news for more updaates!!!!

CatonaRock
CatonaRock
323 posts
Justiciar

My food service provider is refusing to give us tomatoes for the time being...lol.

kanethebrain
kanethebrain
242 posts
Nomad

@Estel: I thought using manure for human-edible crops was only a problem if you didn't wash the manure first. I wonder if sterilizing the manure first would be cost-effective and keep the fertilizing properties of the manure intact.

@SkullZero1: Yea, the biggest danger with chronic diarrhea is dehydration. Sometimes you can handle this by going to a liquid only diet for a day or two while the symptoms pass, and hope that you absorb enough nutrients along they way to keep you going. Of course, chronic diarrhea is no fun regardless of what you're eating.

I've heard that the canning and processing procedures kill the salmonella bacteria, so we'll still have ketchup, tomato sauce and canned tomatoes. California and Florida tomatoes seem to be fine, so when they ripen in a few weeks/months, we'll have fresh tomatoes again. So lucky this isn't a huge deal, but man do I feel bad for those guys that just wanted a burger and got the trots instead

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

I think that humans just need to be more careful with the make/grow/ETC. things. You do realize it is all caused by humans?

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

True. Us humans are pretty stupid. We just are too lazy to care about the health or well being of anyone else as long as the money still rolls in.

Showing 1-15 of 15