ForumsWEPR[NECRO] Catholics aren't Christians, and other myths (apologetics thread)

60 18556
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Many times I have seen the phrase somewhere that Catholics are not Christians because of several reasons. I am looking for protestants who have a bone to pick and I want you to give support for what you say.

p.s. Claims such as the Catholic Church founded the Islamic religion,[26] The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as well as the Jehovah's Witnesses; persecuting Jews; starting the Holocaust: and founding Communism, Nazism, and the Ku Klux Klan; and starting the World Wars. Will be easy to refute because of the fact that many of these organizations are anti-catholic.

~~~Darth Caedus

• 60 Replies
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Acts chapter 2: the biblical account of the first disciples to receive the holy spirit, (the 3k converts is reference to 3k dissidents in OT and golden calf), this is recreated many times, (usually on Easter) in the sacrament of confirmation, so that everyone receives the Holy Spirit and becomes a "soldier" for Christ.

Again, Jesus said multiple times that works are required, the preaching was what got them to convert in the first place.

~~~Darth Caedus

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,775 posts
Chamberlain

Well I this should settle the whole debate about Catholics and whatnot

Matthew 8: 14-15

Jesus went to Peterâs home, and there he saw Peterâs mother-in-law sick in bed with a fever. He touched her hand; the fever left her, and she got up and began to wait on him

There you go, Peter had a mother-in-law so he was married, so he couldn't have been pope.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

There you go, Peter had a mother-in-law so he was married, so he couldn't have been pope.
why does him being married mean he couldn't have been pope, and how do you know his wife wasn't already dead?

~~~Darth Caedus
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Quite a few popes have been married. For many years of the Church's history, celibacy was considered optional. Based on the customs of the times, it is assumed by many that like Peter, most of the Apostles were married and had families. It was only in the Middle Ages where the Church officially sanctioned celibacy, although we all know that a few of them still flaunted the rules.

In fact, some Catholic scholars, such as Peter Fink and George T. Dennis SJ of Catholic University of America, have argued that we cannot know if priests in early Christianity practised sexual abstinence. Dennis says "there is simply no clear evidence of a general tradition or practice, much less of an obligation, of priestly celibacy-continence before the beginning of the fourth
century. (Dennis, George T. SJ on Cochini, C. The Apostolic Origins of Priestly Celibacy (book review), Theological Studies, 52:4 (1991ec.) p.738)

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

And once more... this thread has been necro'd (the necro-post was deleted), but if someone wants to properly continue the discussion in a normal way, please let me know and I will unlock it again. Thank you. =)

Showing 46-50 of 60