Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

[NECRO] Catholics aren't Christians, and other myths (apologetics thread)

Thread Locked

Posted Oct 19, '12 at 11:55am

toemas

toemas

347 posts

Looks like the Bible says to look towards the CHURCH for truth.

that not what it really means, its a example or a term kinda

Posted Oct 19, '12 at 12:17pm

handlerfan

handlerfan

194 posts

All Christians are equal.
Some are more equal than others.
The more equal Christians get to decide that they are Christians and that Catholics are not Christians.
They both have the right to follow whatever faith they want according to the United Nations.

Posted Oct 19, '12 at 2:08pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

9,485 posts

2 Timothy chapter 3 verse 15, "the Church is the pillar and foundation (ground) of truth."

I really want to know what version was used to find this. KJV says the holy scriptures. KJ21 says the holy scriptures. NKJV says holy scriptures. NIV says the holy scriptures. ASV says sacred writings. AMP says sacred writings. CEB says holy scriptures. CJB says holy scriptures. CEV says holy scriptures. DARBY says sacred letters. I went through every English bible on BibleGateway and NONE said Church. They all said holy/sacred scriptures/writings/letters.

Posted Oct 19, '12 at 2:47pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,803 posts

Knight

I really want to know what version was used to find this.

He got the wrong Timmy. It's in 1 Timothy 3:15
http://bible.cc/1_timothy/3-15.htm

Posted Oct 19, '12 at 7:38pm

Jacen96

Jacen96

3,147 posts

He got the wrong Timmy. It's in 1 Timothy 3:15
I copied it from an earlier post and forgot to fix the mistake.

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted Oct 20, '12 at 7:08am

TheMostManlyMan

TheMostManlyMan

5,420 posts

as i said before, read acts 2

Posted Oct 20, '12 at 3:42pm

Jacen96

Jacen96

3,147 posts

Acts chapter 2: the biblical account of the first disciples to receive the holy spirit, (the 3k converts is reference to 3k dissidents in OT and golden calf), this is recreated many times, (usually on Easter) in the sacrament of confirmation, so that everyone receives the Holy Spirit and becomes a "soldier" for Christ.

Again, Jesus said multiple times that works are required, the preaching was what got them to convert in the first place.

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted Nov 1, '12 at 1:48am

TheMostManlyMan

TheMostManlyMan

5,420 posts

Well I this should settle the whole debate about Catholics and whatnot

Matthew 8: 14-15

Jesus went to Peterâs home, and there he saw Peterâs mother-in-law sick in bed with a fever. He touched her hand; the fever left her, and she got up and began to wait on him

There you go, Peter had a mother-in-law so he was married, so he couldn't have been pope.

Posted Nov 1, '12 at 2:28am

Jacen96

Jacen96

3,147 posts

There you go, Peter had a mother-in-law so he was married, so he couldn't have been pope.
why does him being married mean he couldn't have been pope, and how do you know his wife wasn't already dead?

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted Nov 1, '12 at 4:59am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,473 posts

Knight

Quite a few popes have been married. For many years of the Church's history, celibacy was considered optional. Based on the customs of the times, it is assumed by many that like Peter, most of the Apostles were married and had families. It was only in the Middle Ages where the Church officially sanctioned celibacy, although we all know that a few of them still flaunted the rules.

In fact, some Catholic scholars, such as Peter Fink and George T. Dennis SJ of Catholic University of America, have argued that we cannot know if priests in early Christianity practised sexual abstinence. Dennis says "there is simply no clear evidence of a general tradition or practice, much less of an obligation, of priestly celibacy-continence before the beginning of the fourth
century. (Dennis, George T. SJ on Cochini, C. The Apostolic Origins of Priestly Celibacy (book review), Theological Studies, 52:4 (1991ec.) p.738)