ForumsWEPRSlavery

29 9002
Wittman
Wittman
318 posts
Nomad

What do you think about slavery, post your thoughts here.

• 29 Replies
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

I think if slavery never started thier would have been no racism.

That's also getting things mixed up on the causal chain.

Slavery these days generally means where one is exploited either because they are trapped or are being kept trapped in their circumstances. The analogy frequently seeps over to first-world rhetoric too, if you've noticed.
Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

The Bible says slaves, obey your masters. This is one of the many reasons i'm not religious.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Xzeno. Where does it say that in the Bible. I have read the whole thing and never noticed that. Also, slaves might have been metaphorical to "if you are of lower status, obey your master AKA children obey your parents AKA humans obey god. Also, i do not think that it would have been put as bluntly as you put it in the bible.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Ok your links say that salves EXISTED. I was just saying that the Bible never specifically said If you are a slave you must obey your master other wise you are in trouble. So...yeeeeeeahhhhhh...

eyetwitch
eyetwitch
737 posts
Shepherd

Xzeno
And that is from the OT in which the slaves were the conquered people that necromancer was talking about...so one its an outdated verse (as their are many, do you believe you should put fencing on your roof, as the bible tells you to?) and two its not the same slavery your thinking of...

Ricador,
Not only should you read the first page but you should click on the 4-5 links necro and i posted between us...*thinks about gouging eyes out with fingers* *then realizes that their is atleast a little sanity in this world, "save it for another day..."*

eyetwitch
eyetwitch
737 posts
Shepherd

my link is definatly to a group that is currently envolved in ending slave&sex trafficking in the world TODAY. Go back to my link, and read some facts on it. This is actually starting to make me angry as their are millions of people suffering in slavery today and you continue to neglect them and blindly ignore the truth. And i'm pretty sure he nearly quoted the verse exactly........

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Well, not exactly. It's not in most modern bibles.

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

@ ricador
The bible gives slavery the OK.

Ninjacube
Ninjacube
584 posts
Nomad

@necromancer
In ricador's defense, I noticed that those quotes from the bible are from the new translated versions that are about 4th or 5th in a chain of companies that keep retranslating the Bible. This could obviously cause some distortion in the actual messages being portrayed. Give me a verse from the King James Version (KJV) and I'll take it from there. KJV is the oldest version i know of and is the one i use.

eyetwitch
eyetwitch
737 posts
Shepherd

Ninjacube
I'm pretty sure that passage was meant to be that way...and its perfectly explainable. But ppl who just don't care to actually give religon a thought, or that are just atheists who enjoying pissing ppl off, won't listen to the explanation, so they have changed that line in the more modern versions. (i attempted to explain it above...)

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

They are in old English but have the same meaning. Here is the KJV I got them from.

Leviticus 25:44-46
[44] Both thy bondmen, and thy bondmaids, which thou shalt have, shall be of the heathen that are round about you; of them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids.
[45] Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession.
[46] And ye shall take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them for a possession; they shall be your bondmen for ever: but over your brethren the children of Israel, ye shall not rule one over another with rigour.

Exodus 21:2-6
[2] If thou buy an Hebrew servant, six years he shall serve: and in the seventh he shall go out free for nothing.
[3] If he came in by himself, he shall go out by himself: if he were married, then his wife shall go out with him.
[4] If his master have given him a wife, and she have born him sons or daughters; the wife and her children shall be her master's, and he shall go out by himself.
[5] And if the servant shall plainly say, I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free:
[6] Then his master shall bring him unto the judges; he shall also bring him to the door, or unto the door post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an aul; and he shall serve him for ever.
[7] And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant, she shall not go out as the menservants do.
[8] If she please not her master, who hath betrothed her to himself, then shall he let her be redeemed: to sell her unto a strange nation he shall have no power, seeing he hath dealt deceitfully with her.
[9] And if he have betrothed her unto his son, he shall deal with her after the manner of daughters.
[10] If he take him another wife; her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage, shall he not diminish.
[11] And if he do not these three unto her, then shall she go out free without money.

1 Timothy 6:1-2
[1] Let as many servants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honour, that the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed.
[2] And they that have believing masters, let them not despise them, because they are brethren; but rather do them service, because they are faithful and beloved, partakers of the benefit. These things teach and exhort.

Luke 12:47-48
[47] And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.
[48] But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

@eyetwitch-
How are these passages &quoterfectly explainable? BTW- don't pull the defense that its from the Old Testament and have thus changed, two of them are from the New Testament. Even if slavery was not as bad back then, how can these passages still be morally justifiable? They allow for selling a daughter as a sex-slave and for vicious beatings, which are the same practices I still denounce in the present. I am not "an atheist who enjoys pissing people off," I am an atheist who wants people to see and address problems to improve this world.

Ace_of_Fear
Ace_of_Fear
223 posts
Nomad

Slavery hapend way back then, just look forward not back

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

@ace
You should read through the first page, slavery is still very much alive, even in America, something most people are ignorant too.

eyetwitch
eyetwitch
737 posts
Shepherd

Necromancer,
The bible also says that everyone should put fencing on their roofs because people could fall of and get killed because back then all roofs were accesible...that doesn't apply either now does it.
The bible's specific rules and restrictions almost always do not apply...back then, slavery was acceptable in that it was conquered peoples. Slavery in those days did not entail malnutrition, terrible housing conditions, beatings, etc. that slavery of the 1800's entailed.
I think you are misunderstanding the passages...it says "betrothed" which means married, not sex-slave.
As for the "beatings" it was a punishment for unacceptable behavior...and every punishment in the bible times seems over-the-top nowadays because back then one they were a more savage people and things were harsher to ensure that the crime wouldn't be committed again and two prisons were hard to come by, punishments had to be hard enough so the crime wasn't re-committed (*echo echo echo*)

and the NT passages say "servant" and servant=/=slave. Servants were usually debtors whose debts were payed for by their masters and the debtors payment was in service.

Easily explainable

(btw: of course i did not mean you...i meant those people that cry out something against the bible and refuse to listen or refuse to explain themselves...which clearly you are not)

Showing 16-29 of 29