ForumsThe TavernCollege Apps

31 6214
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

One year ago, I had to undergo this grueling process, so I'm curious: Who's applying to colleges this year?

• 31 Replies
daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

Who's applying to colleges this year?

I have. I only applied to 2 colleges though. That makes me wonder, how many colleges have people applied to? Honestly I think applying to more then 3 is a little over the top.

Honestly the process isn't that bad. If you don't have to write an essay it is actually really easy. And the essay I had to do for one of my apps wasn't bad at all.
Tactical_Fish
Tactical_Fish
776 posts
Blacksmith

Honestly I think applying to more then 3 is a little over the top.
There's seniors at my school (________________________ High School) that are applying to like 5 or so.
daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

There's seniors

There are. With English like that colleges will just look at you.

I know that there are lots of people that apply to many, I just don't see the point in it.
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

People like to keep their options open. Different schools offer different classes and majors. They may not know what they want to do just yet. You can't get in passed the deadline, but you can back out later if you decide you don't want to go there. It's also nice for us nerds to talk about getting accepted anywhere and everywhere we want to go in front of the people who have made fun of us our entire lives that can't even get accepted into junior colleges. Another kinda related note... if you're competitive, you have the potential to win competitive scholarships at different schools. It then helps some people make decisions when they see which school will give them the best deal on getting an education. The cost of going to different colleges/universities can be and is the deciding factor for some people... even moreso than which majors they offer.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I'm currently applying for one now...plan on applying to at least one more...and then maybe Wash-U

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I plan on applying to 2 in the near future very soon. I'm hoping to either go to Iowa, or a small tech college in my town. Iowa recommends a 3.8 GPA, and I only have 3.75, so I'll have to work extra hard to get there this year. If I get A's or B's in my AP classes it'll be easy. The latter requires a bit of knowledge in some general computer stuff or a basic internship, so that won't be too hard.

Anyone here a fan of a rival of the Hawkeyes? If so, you'll be seeing me on the Track, hopefully, competing against your team. >

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Went ahead and figured out my G.P.A for the fun of it.

http://i.imm.io/JecT.png

That C+ in Calc is gonna get me...

Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

Unless it's a super school or program, the only thing most colleges care about are standardized test scores for getting in... They'll use gpa for competitive scholarships but not really for general admissions.

Side note... It has been my general experience that getting only a bachelors degree doesn't really merit going to a really prestigious school just for the hell of it. If that particular accounting program or whatever you're looking at does in fact have more to offer for your future then maybe it'll be worth going to. It is my opinion that those schools are just huge tuition money traps up until it comes time for you to pursue graduate degrees. It's often better to have smaller class sizes and those large universities will often place you in auditorium classes with like 100-200 other people (they don't allow you to ask questions in class most of the time)... Those schools do have better facilities as far as research and stuff is concerned, but you probably won't use them fully until you're pursuing a masters or PhD.

Summary... The institution you get your bachelors from doesn't really matter. The only thing that does matter is that it doesn't suck and that you do well on the standardized exams that get you into higher level degree programs. Bs and Ba degrees are almost like high school diplomas now, so the important thing now is where you get your graduate and doctorate degrees.

Maybe all that rambling will help someone

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Honestly I think applying to more then 3 is a little over the top.

Eh, not really. I think I applied to ten private schools, as well as the University of California system (four of the schools in it). The Common App made is extremely easy to apply, so I picked a few schools that didn't require supplemental essays as safeties. I know of people who apply to 15+. It's advisable to have 2-3 "safety schools" that you're sure you'll get into, 2-3 "match schools" that you'll most likely end up at, and as many "dream schools" as you can handle applying to.

Unless it's a super school or program, the only thing most colleges care about are standardized test scores for getting in... They'll use gpa for competitive scholarships but not really for general admissions.

No. I don't know where you came up with this, but both GPA and standardized scores are important for any decently competitive college. However, public institutions do tend to place a greater emphasis on objective scores than extracurriculars.

Side note... It has been my general experience that getting only a bachelors degree doesn't really merit going to a really prestigious school just for the hell of it.

Depends on what you want to do. If you want to go into finance, for example, it certainly helps if your school is a top-ranked feeder to Wall Street.

It is my opinion that those schools are just huge tuition money traps up until it comes time for you to pursue graduate degrees. It's often better to have smaller class sizes and those large universities will often place you in auditorium classes with like 100-200 other people (they don't allow you to ask questions in class most of the time)...

This holds true for public schools, but strong private schools have low student to faculty ratios, especially in higher level courses. And everything in those schools gives you an advantage, not just their prestige. For example: advising, research, internship opportunities, etc.
116 posts
Nomad

Looking at a few this year, but I'm not exactly expecting a whole lot. Oh well...

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

For the one I'm hoping for, I have to write a 650 word essay and a 150 word essay, I think :/ One I was hoping to go to, but my mom discouraged since it was so expensive, gave me a priority application, which meant no essay. Sad I won't be applying there...

Have you checked the school's financial aid policy? If there's even a chance that you might get some sort of grant or scholarship, you really have nothing to lose by applying.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

2200+ for SATs. Not enough to apply to the US.

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

2200+ for SATs. Not enough to apply to the US.

Did you at least try? Since my roommate is an international student, I've met tons of internationals here. Haven't been so presumptuous as to ask about their now irrelevant SAT scores, but I doubt they're all 2300+ (or even 2200+ for that matter).
daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

Went ahead and figured out my G.P.A for the fun of it.

B+ is 3.3 I believe.
Iowa recommends a 3.8 GPA, and I only have 3.75

I am assuming unweighted? And you would get in just fine probably.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

B+ is 3.3 I believe.

*Triple facepalm + body desk*

You'd think I could figure out how to fill in a chart. Guess not.

I am assuming unweighted? And you would get in just fine probably.

I weighted my grades, but I didn't expect a big difference. Turns out I have a 4.1 GPA. Not bad. Not bad at all.
Showing 1-15 of 31