ForumsThe Tavernhomework help

9 2713
delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

so im doing some algebra here and im having a hard time figuring out this stuff, its been awhile since ive done it last. if someone who is really good at math could help me out real fast, that would be nice.

1.(4/4x-1)(16x^2 -1/-15x) simplify it.

2.a^1/4 b^3
-------------- simplify
a^-1 b^9/2

3.-4x^2 + 5x - 3=0 solve using the quadratic formula

tell me if there are any questions you have regarding the problems

• 9 Replies
GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

Are there any worked examples in the book?
I think I know how to do it, but couldn't confirm it.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

1. Factor the polynomial and cancel what you can. You've got a difference between squares because 16 and 1 are both square numbers. Can't remember if you're supposed to multiply everything out afterwards.

2. Dividing with exponents. a^i / a^j = a^(i-j)

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

I could help you, but I can't quite understand your problems. If you have further problems you can leave a comment on my profile with a link to, or containing subscripts, superscripts, and fractions, or just snap a picture of the book and leave it on my profile.

(i am excellent at math, I took Algebra 2 last year (freshmen, finished with 105%,) and am doing honors geometry currently with a 98%.

~~~Darth Caedus

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

You've got a difference between squares because 16 and 1 are both square numbers

That isn't a 1...it is 1/-15 (which, because it is 16x^2 - 1/-15...it would be 16x^2 + 1/15)...now factor it all out (hint..use F.O.I.L. -- multiply First numbers, then Outer numbers, then Inner numbers, and lastly Last numbers)

I'm quite envious of you OP...I'm in the middle of Calculus -_-
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

That isn't a 1...it is 1/-15 (which, because it is 16x^2 - 1/-15...it would be 16x^2 + 1/15)...now factor it all out (hint..use F.O.I.L. -- multiply First numbers, then Outer numbers, then Inner numbers, and lastly Last numbers)

I'm sure he forgot to include parentheses. Otherwise, there'd be no point to simplifying it because you can't. Nobody writes 16x^2 - 1 / -15x. You can't simplify that.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

I'm assuming the whole of the second bracket in the first equation is divided by -15x?

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

Otherwise, there'd be no point to simplifying it

Are you not supposed to split the brackets, i.e, x(16x^2 -1/-15)-1(16x^2 - 1/-15)
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

couldnt you scan it and post a pic? or write it on the computer in word and take a screenshot? i got confused as well.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I'm nearing the end. >

It's been ages since I've done any of that stuff, and you're a year older than me, delossantosj. o.O
I couldn't tell you because I don't remember.
Showing 1-9 of 9