ForumsThe Tavernwant a bow, but don't know which one.

6 1524
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Basically, I want to buy a bow to practice archery, and I might use it for hunting.

What is a good bow to buy?

~~~Darth Caedus

• 6 Replies
danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

Im against hunting, so i wiont and im not able to help you with that. but first, buy a simple training bow. even one of these cheap gift shop ones, just to know the basic aiming and feeling. I got two brazilian bow as a kid, so i could handle more complicated bows later, as they helped me with the stability and the aiming, and the action of reloading and shooting itself. Start with these. thene go to more complicated ones.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

buy a simple training bow. even one of these cheap gift shop ones, just to know the basic aiming and feeling.
The school sharpshooter club uses genesis bows, so I can use those for training.

~~~Darth Caedus
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

My bow:
Excellent Longbow
You're welcome.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

Some sort of compound bow for hunting would be good. But specifics are going to depend on what you plan on hunting. I'd assume you'd be hunting either turkey or deer, so you'll want something that has a good pull weight and can propel the correct type of arrow at a speed that can kill.

But just go to a sporting goods store and ask the people working there. if theres a Bass Pro Shop near you, you should definately make the drive out there. Besides the employees being very helpful, it's a cool place to walk around for a few hours. its a camping/hunting/back packing/canoe/kayak/outdoor paradise.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

I live in the northwestern area of arizona, on I-40, south of the grand canyon and on the western edge of the part of Route 66 that has Radiator Springs on it (peach springs in real life). (if you can't understand my directions, I live in Kingman)

I am not sure what wildlife is around here, but the Hualapai mountains probably have game, although I am not sure if their is an extra cost to hunt there.

p.s. Which is better, a recurve or a compound?

~~~Darth Caedus

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

If you want such a mechanical, passive shooting experience, why don't you just get a crossbow?

Showing 1-6 of 6