ForumsArt, Music, and WritingSo I carved this pumpkin

18 10657
Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcs668hemC1ryxr8mo1_1280.png

There was a pumpkin carving contest on the Spiral Knights forum, so I tried my hand at putting a giant lichen colony to light. c:

Anyone else been carving pumpkins/gourds/sugar beets this year?

• 18 Replies
Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

Looks awesome. How did you get the mid-tone areas? Did you carve the husk down to a thin layer?

Can't say I've carved a pumpkin this year, been a little busy keeping 3 kids on a leash.

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

Oh my... please tell me that you meant to spell "incoherent" incorrectly and it's just part of some joke that I'm not catching onto...

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Wow, cool carving there.

Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

Oh joy, a spelling cop.

Incoherrant is my character name on that mmo as well as the name I've switched to in a handful of online places. Submissions to the carving contest required a note with name on in the photo.

Anyway. It's not an accidental misspelling of incoherent; it's a portmanteau of that and errant.

How did you get the mid-tone areas? Did you carve the husk down to a thin layer?
Ayup. The lower parts of it got thin enough that I could see my fingers through it.
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

That's quite fancy!

Ferret, do you think you could badger John into putting the photos of the pumpkins Carlie and he did? Those were also way cool.

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

Pretty sweet.

I didn't carve a decent pumpkin this year since I didn't have the time.
I'll put up the picture if I can, since I didn't take the picture myself.

soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

I carved a pumpkin... it didn't turn out that well.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w503/soccerdude2/mail-4.jpeg

I wanted to carve nemo except the pumpkin wasn't very strong. Hence, he doesn't have a right eye! Although it's pretty good considering also that the knife I used wasn't exactly top quality.

But yeah that pumpkin is pretty sweet. So many different shades of light!

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

Nicely done Zoph, while the reference is lost on me, it looks pretty awesome regardless.

Skulltivator
Skulltivator
630 posts
Nomad

That's a sweet pumpkin right there. How long did it take you to carve it?

Chemical_
Chemical_
26 posts
Nomad

LOL IS IT YOUR FIRST TIME CARVING A PUMPKIN..YOUR PROBABLY A BEGINNER IN CARVING...NEED SOME PRACTICE

Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

I wanted to carve nemo except the pumpkin wasn't very strong. Hence, he doesn't have a right eye! Although it's pretty good considering also that the knife I used wasn't exactly top quality.
D'awh, good going, though. Pity about the weak base.

Nicely done Zoph, while the reference is lost on me, it looks pretty awesome regardless.
Thanks. Here's some screenshots of the monster it's depicting.

How long did it take you to carve it?
If this was at me, two sessions of a few hours each. 4-6 total.

IS IT YOUR FIRST TIME CARVING A PUMPKIN..YOUR PROBABLY A BEGINNER IN CARVING...NEED SOME PRACTICE

If this was at me too, it's the tenth or so pumpkin I've carved in my lifetime, and the first that has been more than a simple face. So yeah, technically a beginner and could definitely use more practice.

Oh, I also left a warning about making all caps posts on your profile.
kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

I've never carved a pumpkin! Yours looks good Zophia, hope you had a great Halloween.

The Google ones last year were pretty amazing!

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

That honestly could look pretty scary if you put it in unexpected places. (like underwear drawers)

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

Not bad for a beginner. Not bad at all. I'm interested in seeing what you come up with next Halloween. If you need ideas, I do have a couple things in mind that I never got around to carving since I don't have a place to put a pumpkin.

That honestly could look pretty scary if you put it in unexpected places. (like underwear drawers)

I'd be scared too if I found a pumpkin in my underwear drawer, but probably for different reasons.
VonHeisenbourg
VonHeisenbourg
377 posts
Peasant

Nice pumpkin. Check out this one that I found online though, it's pretty nice.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTH269W5oGF4pyS3GI0TLKyj9aktwptXTCVmxRPu3Zn-VXKwNAz

Showing 1-15 of 18