ForumsWEPRHow old do you think the universe is?

219 78400
dr_doughnut
dr_doughnut
72 posts
Nomad

I don't personally believe in billions an millions of years, but I want to know what people think.

• 219 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

So in conclusion, I think the universe is at least 94 years old.

You could then progressively add more to it. First, consider for example old tombstones with a date engraved. There are also even older historic texts that make case of a year date. There are also radiometry and carbon isotopes who can date geologic layers, or alternatively, plate tectonics who will tell you the minimal age of a certain tectonic plate. Etc. etc.
Jeff1999
Jeff1999
1,356 posts
Farmer

Lets just say that the universe is just as old as the size of it. Which means the answer is putting 8 to sleep. Which makes: INFINITE

-Jeff

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Now, I can't know for sure if anything existed before I did. Some people might be skeptical, but I'm willing to take that leap of faith.

You could then progressively add more to it. First, consider for example old tombstones with a date engraved. There are also even older historic texts that make case of a year date. There are also radiometry and carbon isotopes who can date geologic layers, or alternatively, plate tectonics who will tell you the minimal age of a certain tectonic plate. Etc. etc.

To ad to this in regard to the point above, since we are using objectively verifiable empirical evidence, it doesn't take faith to determine that something existed before you did.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Lets just say that the universe is just as old as the size of it.
Which makes: INFINITE

The universe is growing, though, which means that it had to have a starting point for its growth (the beginning of the universe age)

Plus...I don't think infinite works with a starting age. Undefined does, however (I understand the scientific belief of when the Big Bang was and then we know the age from there...I'm thinking in terms of before the Bang, however)
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

Let me assure you that the universe is one day older than yesterday.

Getoffmydangle
Getoffmydangle
152 posts
Blacksmith

First, consider for example old tombstones with a date engraved. There are also even older historic texts that make case of a year date.

Ahh, but how can I be sure that those things really are that old? For all I know, those "old" tombstones, or the pyramids, were created that way 94 years ago when my grandmother was born. I knew my grandmother, I know she was old, but if I'm just seeing something for the first time, I can't know for sure how old it is.
since we are using objectively verifiable empirical evidence

Are we though? The question of the thread is leaves it open for me to opine. It is not asking how well we are able to read and comprehend the readily available scientific facts. I interpreted the question as more of a philosophical prompting since by its very nature it assumes that the answer is subjective. There are different levels of knowledge available then, including first-hand (which I chose). I am also vaguely familiar with the brand of 'knowledge' that seems to have the most trouble accepting the common scientific answers. see here
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Ahh, but how can I be sure that those things really are that old? For all I know, those "old" tombstones, or the pyramids, were created that way 94 years ago when my grandmother was born. I knew my grandmother, I know she was old, but if I'm just seeing something for the first time, I can't know for sure how old it is.

Now...what about the memories your grandmother has of her grandmother?
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Are we though?

The OP might not be but given your argument of requiring faith, this isn't the case.

I interpreted the question as more of a philosophical prompting since by its very nature it assumes that the answer is subjective.

Though the age of the universe isn't a subjective matter. We have objective evidence to work with.

There are different levels of knowledge available then, including first-hand (which I chose).

Which can be very misleading. Our perception can be very wrong. This is why it's good to rely on objectivity and repeatability to the best of our ability.

I am also vaguely familiar with the brand of 'knowledge' that seems to have the most trouble accepting the common scientific answers.

Yeah it's called denying facts.
VonHeisenbourg
VonHeisenbourg
377 posts
Peasant

Lets just say that the universe is just as old as the size of it. Which means the answer is putting 8 to sleep. Which makes: INFINITE

Nothing is infinite, everything is finite. Can you give me a plausible answer that makes something infinite?

Yeah it's called denying facts.

I don't think so. "Facts" change all the time. Every 100 years or so scientific facts are proven to be false, and another "fact" takes it's place. Do you know what I'm talking about. Soooo... having trouble accepting the common scientific answers is certainly not unreasonable.
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

The universe is only infinitely old so far as it boggles the mind to even consider how old it must be. But it is not ageless. I'm a firm believer of the theory that the universe is constantly expanding, until it reaches critical mass and collapses back in on itself. Then starts to expand again.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Nothing is infinite, everything is finite.

Numbers...but that is beside the point

The universe is only infinitely old so far as it boggles the mind to even consider how old it must be.

So, simply, to try and specify the exact "beginning" of the universe (which would thus find the age) is so difficult that it is a waste of time to try and do so?
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

So, simply, to try and specify the exact "beginning" of the universe (which would thus find the age) is so difficult that it is a waste of time to try and do so?

im whit deviodless here, what we do when we know the age?
its just a number fact. like the speed of light.
i know speed of light is usefull. but how is the age usefull?
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

I don't think so. "Facts" change all the time. Every 100 years or so scientific facts are proven to be false, and another "fact" takes it's place. Do you know what I'm talking about. Soooo... having trouble accepting the common scientific answers is certainly not unreasonable.

It is always god to be critic towards deductions from facts, but you picture it as if all of our knowledge just periodically overthrows itself. The cold hard numbers are based on our instruments build with our technological knowledge. The instruments don't suddenly spew out completely different numbers each 100 years, they just get more and more precise and may thus reveal new aspects, which in turn may indeed change some theories. But we can be quite certain of the results we get from the instruments, as we built them and know what sort of data they assess. The interpretation of those results is where it gets interesting.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I don't think so. "Facts" change all the time.

No facts don't change. Our interpretation and understand of them can.
For instance let's say the theory of gravity is shown to be wrong. The fact that things on Earth fall towards it wouldn't change.

The universe is only infinitely old so far as it boggles the mind to even consider how old it must be. But it is not ageless. I'm a firm believer of the theory that the universe is constantly expanding, until it reaches critical mass and collapses back in on itself. Then starts to expand again.

Already been over how this isn't likely given the shape of the universe.
indianajones1
indianajones1
74 posts
Nomad

I would say about 50 trilion years.But,science says it's old about 50 bilion years.
I agree,it seems too short.

Showing 31-45 of 219