ForumsWEPRHow old do you think the universe is?

219 78395
dr_doughnut
dr_doughnut
72 posts
Nomad

I don't personally believe in billions an millions of years, but I want to know what people think.

• 219 Replies
KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

As a catholic, I believe the bible

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Then why the 2000 year gap?

KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

I forget if there's 6000 or 4000 years in the old testament. Remember, im only 15.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

I forget if there's 6000 or 4000 years in the old testament.

The most common Creationist date is 6000 years old for the age of the earth, give or take a few hundred years.

Remember, im only 15.

Age is no excuse. You're making definite claims and those claims are open to scrutiny. Saying that you're only 15 hurts your case, as you're implying that you may be wrong because you're inexperienced/young.

Scientists try to take God out of our lives by making up ridiculous time periods that they have no way of proving AT ALL!

They aren't trying to, "take God out of our lives," at all. Many scientists hold religious beliefs. Unlike religion, science isn't pulling these dates out of its rear end. We have every reason to accept dating methods, logic and empirical evidence over a old book which no three people can agree on in every spot.

As a catholic, I believe the bible

Even if that's so, every heard of metaphors? Ever considered that it was written by man, not God? Ever realize that some of the things in there are obviously not true or possible (Noah's Ark, especially)? Even if you want to believe that there's a God and that he sent his son down in a, ahem, loving act of murder, that's no reason to take the bible as the literal truth. We have more evidence to the contrary that you will probably ever read in your lifetime and thousands of the smartest people in the world spend their lives arguing with each other and proving their points.

Whereas we have 2000 year old book which says rabbits eat their own cud and that thousands of animals could fit and live on a wooden boat for 40 days and nights, when it's smaller than the Titanic was.
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Don't you dare deny the bible you blasphemous pig. Get ur atheist as to hell.

If you're incapable of respectable discussion, I'll request that you refrain from posting about these topics.

The bible is one of many religious scriptures. I have no reason to take it any more seriously than I do the Torah, Koran, Vedas, Native American legends, Greek epics, or the Egyptian book of the dead.

Your personal scripture is not valid evidence in of itself. The claims it makes are subject to scrutiny as everything else is.

Btw, nothing i say that's not in the bible, im stating as a theory.

The double negative is a little confusing. There's also this I'd like to address.

A scientific theory is different from a theory any random person makes up. When you see a squirell squashed in the road and take a guess that a semi ran it over because of how uniformly flat it is, that's a theory.

A scientific theory is an in depth description of natural processes which have been verified by the scientific community and are supported by vast amounts of empirical evidence. There is not higher level of classification than a Theory when it comes to concepts.

Theories will never be a Law, not because it cannot be proven or is inaccurate, but because that is not how scientific nomenclature works. A law is a single concept which functions the same universally. Each are the top of their respective areas.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

KnightDeclan. Read the following link. If you don't understand what they're talking about, then you have no right to claim to know that we have no evidence for the age of the universe. We do have means to calculate it, and even if our models certainly will adapt with time, we still have a quite well defined educated guess, based on actual observation. That's more than an old scripture full of myths can ever hope to achieve.

How Old is the Universe?

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

Aand, just popping in to answer the question without saying anything about that religious blarb above, I believe it is infinite. There's a big bang, and then it expands and contracts every...what is it? Four billion years? Four and a half so far? You get my idea. So it's just been going on since forever, and will keep going, though technically this universe we're in will end at the next squash, and then start again.
Being all universe-discussionist gets me feeling confused.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

There's a big bang, and then it expands and contracts every...what is it? Four billion years? Four and a half so far? You get my idea.

The Big Crunch is extremely unlikely. Also, this current universe is something around 13.74 billion years old.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

There's a big bang, and then it expands and contracts every...what is it? Four billion years? Four and a half so far? You get my idea.

No it's not contracting, in fact it's expanding faster.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Four billion years? Four and a half so far?

Four and a half billion years is roughly the age of Earth. So the universe has to be older than that.
roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

No offense But is 16 billion years old.

thecode11
thecode11
239 posts
Nomad

Well we don't know exactly roydotor2000 for all we know it could be 20 billion or more but my estimate is 17 billion.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

No offense But is 16 billion years old.
Well we don't know exactly roydotor2000 for all we know it could be 20 billion or more but my estimate is 17 billion.

Where are these numbers coming from? Because we're not playing a guessing game here. There's a very large amount of evidence for it being ~13.77 billion years old.
StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

I'll take your word for it, this kind of stuff always confuses me. :P

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I am a Roman Catholic so I believe the universe is roughly 6000 years old.

Before all you science guys slap me around, I'd like to say that I also believe in a theory similar to what the Cherokee Indians believed: there was stuff before the earth was formed. God took that stuff and made our current universe.

As crazy as it may sound to some of you, this is what I believe.

Showing 151-165 of 219