ForumsThe TavernIs a Thumb a Thumb, or is a Thumb a Finger? You Decide!

34 6387
VonHeisenbourg
VonHeisenbourg
377 posts
Peasant

I was curious as to what you the users of AG think on this matter.

What do I think on this matter? Why I'm glad you asked. I think every thumb is a finger, but not every finger is a thumb. My brother and I were debating this issue, so I decided to look up the definition of finger and thumb in the dictionary. The definitions they used made me want to smack the dictionary and yell at it. Finger is described is: the four slender jointed digits on ones hand. Meanwhile thumb is defined as (I quote): A short thick finger.

Grrrrrrr, the definition of finger says that there are four on each hand, meanwhile the definition of thumb was and I quote: a short thick finger. I curse this self-contradicting dictionary!!!

So what do you the users of AG think?

• 34 Replies
Jerrbear65
Jerrbear65
173 posts
Nomad

All you've done so far is insult people

Show at least 1 post where I insulted anyone directly. Also put in italics where I indirectly insulted anyone. If I did insult anyone I will apologize.

And if you say everyone else here isn't making sense, you clearly don't understand the majority of the discussion that's taking place

Not enough people posted here to prove that a thumb is a finger, you need more counts for that.

I will agree that it may be a finger, but until I am completely proven wrong I will stay strong at my points

but at the same time it's complete nonsense. =P

Nonsense can be the hidden truth
VonHeisenbourg
VonHeisenbourg
377 posts
Peasant

@Jerr

Here is where you insult Skeleton:

At least I make sense

I recall you saying you would apologize, so go ahead and apologize now.

P.S. Most of what you say in most threads, most of the time makes little sense

And if you say everyone else here isn't making sense, you clearly don't understand the majority of the discussion that's taking place.

I concur with that.

By definition a thumb is a finger. It says finger in the definition of the "Collins Canadian English Dictionary". Hence it is a finger, no argument really
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

I don't see any consistent consensus on this, so I'll just state what doctors tend to do for ease of communication:

Thumbs and fingers are digits. The thumb is the opposable digit. Each of the other fingers have specific titles, namely index, middle, ring and little. The thumb is a thumb. Either you call the thumb the thumb and the other four fingers by their specific names, or more properly, you should refer to the specific digit or bone/joint, as they're labelled from 1st (thumb) to 5th (pinky finger) metacarpals, proximal phalanx, middle phalanx (except for the thumb) and distal phalanx, and the metacarpophalangeal and interphalangeal joints (proximal/distal, again except for the thumb).

That way we don't have to get confused talking about fingers/thumbs. At least between ourselves anyway.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Also that above post was my way of saying I'm watching you lot. Play nice guys, and it's better to apologise when not required to, than not to apologise when required.

Showing 31-34 of 34