ForumsWEPR6 November 2012: VOTE

10 4908
CommanderPaladin
CommanderPaladin
1,531 posts
Nomad

To all of you in the good old U.S. of A., tomorrow is national Election day.
GET OUT AND VOTE!!! DO IT!!!
-----
While I am very strongly set in my political and moral beliefs, this thread isn't about that. This is about exercising your right as an American citizen to voice your opinion on who should lead the nation for the next four years. Even if you dislike both/all of the available choices, you should vote anyway - don't waste your opportunity.

Your right to vote is a hard-won privilege. Countless American soldiers have sacrificed their lives ever since the Revolutionary War to ensure that all Americans, present and future, have the Rights and Freedoms that we enjoy and take for granted today. The people of many foreign nations would gladly give their right arm for a chance to choose their leadership the way you and I are about to. Too many Americans today are, deliberately or otherwise, not conscious of this fact, and as a result they assume a decidedly glib attitude towards the right to vote and the other freedoms they enjoy.

I will address one &quotolitical" point here: fraud and intimidation. Some people are under the false impression that cheating at the polls is an acceptable means to a win. IT IS NOT. Committing acts of voter fraud or intimidation disgraces the freedom being able to choose a government rather than having one foisted upon you, and it blatantly dishonors all those who have given their all to ensure your right to select your leadership. The rules regarding voting are in place to maintain order and to prevent one side or the other from "fixing" the election to their suit own ends. Disregarding these rules casts a shadow of illegitimacy over the entire process and assaults the rights of those who follow the election laws.

Tomorrow, you will have the opportunity to exercise a degree of power few others outside our nation are allowed as you cast your ballot and help decide the course of the nation. Use wisdom as you make your choices, follow the rules, be respectful to members of the other party, even if they win, and above all, remember those who defied an empire, spilled their blood, and ultimately forged the nation that has afforded you this Right, this Freedom you so enjoy today.

GOD BLESS YOU, AND GOD BLESS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

-----
Moderators: This thread can be locked after the election cycle is completed.

• 10 Replies
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Tomorrow, you will have the opportunity to exercise a degree of power few others outside our nation are allowed as you cast your ballot and help decide the course of the nation.

That's what the Electoral College is for. Currently, the popular vote is nothing but a large opinion poll.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

GOD BLESS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

yea, it just might work.
we'll see today.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

That's what the Electoral College is for. Currently, the popular vote is nothing but a large opinion poll.

Actually the popular vote can sway the electoral college vote. There is also other things on the ballot besides the presidency. Many states have the elector pledged to vote for the winning ticket in their state. While not required to do so many states have laws to ensure they do.
At least as far as I know that's how it works.

Though let's say it doesn't do this. I have to wonder why then has there been so much effort put into voter fraud in swing states?
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Click the map if you want to keep up with it. It also shows the senate, house, and governors.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Romney's at 13 and Obama's at 3. Romney's expected to get the couple next states coming in, and then Obama will swallow up the east coast. From there, who knows?

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Romney's at 76 and Obama is at 64! Change is imminent among us! I wish i could vote lol...

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Current stats

EC:
252 Obama
200 Romney
86 unclaimed

Popular:
39,597,566 Obama
40,639,868 Romney

Senate:
49 Dem
42 Rep
2 Other
7 Unclaimed
51=majority

House:
117 Dem
167 Rep
151 Unclaimed
218=majority

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Current stats

Electoral one appears outdated. This has Obama with 275 and Romney 203. So does my local news station.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Electoral one appears outdated.

Each site seems to have their own numbers. Yours is currently at 290/203. This says 309/212. This says 284/200. Obama wins with electorals, but Romney still appears to be slightly ahead in popular votes.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Thank y'all for voting regardless of whom you voted for, let's check in here for results and after-discussions!

Showing 1-10 of 10