ForumsNews and FeedbackShortcut Keys and Highlighting

4 3069
VonHeisenbourg
VonHeisenbourg
377 posts
Peasant

Here's a small suggestion (sorry if it was already suggested), why not use shortcuts for things such as bold, so when you do ctrl B, it'll bold stuff, and when you click ctrl B again it'll unbold everything. Same with ctrl Q and ctrl I.

I also suggest highlighting all the above tabs (such as quote, bold, and italics) when being used or that it goes into a different colour. So for example if I start to start using bold right now the above bold tab that makes stuff bold would be highlighted or turned it a different colour for the duration of people using it.

Just a thought.

• 4 Replies
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

I think that this is to hard to implement into the forums and could pose problems... it's like jeol already said, that would open up the door for even more text editor options, like a pandora's box... nothing to mess with!

And the fact that the buton changes from Bold into /Bold when clicking the first time is already a reference as to where you are during the editing of written text for a post.
Maybe making the button turn into a negative image of the original one when clicking it the first time could be an option though, but as it's mere cosmetic stuff, it's probably (if noticed) all the way on the bottom of the task list for the admins VonHeisenbourg...

VonHeisenbourg
VonHeisenbourg
377 posts
Peasant

And the fact that the buton changes from Bold into /Bold when clicking the first time is already a reference as to where you are during the editing of written text for a post.
Maybe making the button turn into a negative image of the original one when clicking it the first time could be an option though, but as it's mere cosmetic stuff, it's probably (if noticed) all the way on the bottom of the task list for the admins VonHeisenbourg...

I live to be on the bottom of a task list

Anyways what you say may be true, but you still notice some people inaccurately or misquoting. I suggested highlighting it so as to reduce these mistakes. Just a thought though

The only problem with hotkeys for markup is that some browsers already have stuff assigned for hotkeys - for example, on Opera, ctrl + b opens the bookmark tab. Cool idea, though.

I guess the only logical thing left to do is get a hacker to hack the browser and take it down for the mere purposes of convenience that would take about half a second to do otherwise.
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

All comes down to the simple fact that users have to keep paying attention and look over their post before submitting it... even with the highlighted button (how convenient it will be) you would still have users post the occasional mis-quote every now and then. Even I do from time to time as we're all human after all... but it also gives me a wake up call when it happens and makes me focus on it even more!

Showing 1-3 of 4