ForumsThe TavernIs "Because they felt like it." a good reason?

8 1631
dr_doughnut
dr_doughnut
72 posts
Nomad

My teachers always said that I couldn't put "because they felt like it." as a reason for something.What if someone robs a bank? If they didn't feel like it, then they wouldn't have robbed a bank. Now I don't use that when someone accidentally does something, because they didn't feel like doing that.

• 8 Replies
ninjanick
ninjanick
180 posts
Shepherd

"Bacause they felt like it" isn't a good reason because it can usually be boiled down to other reasons. In example. Why do I play video games? It is bacause "I fell like it", but the reason "I fell like it" is because it makes me feel good or helps me relax, so that would be your reason.
Also, people do things when they don't feel like it. A person may not want to rob a bank but they need the money. A person may not want to go to work but they need to make a living.
So before you write "because I felt like it," think about why you felt like that, you'll probably get a better answer.

dr_doughnut
dr_doughnut
72 posts
Nomad

"Bacause they felt like it" isn't a good reason because it can usually be boiled down to other reasons. In example. Why do I play video games? It is bacause "I fell like it", but the reason "I fell like it" is because it makes me feel good or helps me relax, so that would be your reason.

So you are saying that it is not specific enough? I feel that it is.
ninjanick
ninjanick
180 posts
Shepherd

There is often a reason behind why you felt you felt like doing something. You can give me and example of "I felt like it" and I could probably find a reason behind that.

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Ummm, no. It isn't a good reason. It never answered the question as to what was the action that would cause a person to react in such a manner and do something that another person would find questionable. Saying "Cause I felt like it" is not answering anything but just making people wanna hit them upside the head. Don't be surprised if you say that to me and this happens...

dr_doughnut
dr_doughnut
72 posts
Nomad

There is often a reason behind why you felt you felt like doing something. You can give me and example of "I felt like it" and I could probably find a reason behind that.

I have been outwitted!!! It seems as though my superior thinking is not so superior anymore. No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(Well, my thinking was never superior, and it seems as though I am always outwitted, so I guess this is normal.)
ninjanick
ninjanick
180 posts
Shepherd

serriously, just think a little a you can find reasons for things that arn't obvious.

dr_doughnut
dr_doughnut
72 posts
Nomad

Ummm, no. It isn't a good reason. It never answered the question as to what was the action that would cause a person to react in such a manner and do something that another person would find questionable. Saying "Cause I felt like it" is not answering anything but just making people wanna hit them upside the head. Don't be surprised if you say that to me and this happens...
Outwitted by two people in the same day. Shame on you dr_doughnut.
dr_doughnut
dr_doughnut
72 posts
Nomad

Outwitted by two people in the same day. Shame on you dr_doughnut.
Scratch that. Outwitted three times in one day. Twice by one person. I must reflect upon this.
Showing 1-8 of 8