ForumsWEPRPolitics/World Q & A

33 14551
VonHeisenbourg
VonHeisenbourg
377 posts
Peasant

The intent of this thread is for anyone who wants to, to ask a question related to politics or at least something somewhat serious about something they're genuinely curious about. Let me show you guys some examples:

Player One: Does Canada have a senate.
Player Two: No, Canada has a parliament.

Player Three: What is America's debt?
Player Four: Approximately sixteen trillion dollars.

============================================================

Let's get started.

Why were electoral votes instated in America, in replacement of the popular vote?

• 33 Replies
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

My math teacher explained it to me like this.

They wanted it to appear democratic, but they still wanted aristocrats to correct any mistakes we might make.

Why does England have a law saying that those who convert to the Catholic Church can not be monarchs?

~~~Darth Caedus

VonHeisenbourg
VonHeisenbourg
377 posts
Peasant

Due to outdated reasoning from the 1700s.

James II, who had converted to Roman Catholicism was widely unpopular due to his promotion of Catholicism. The 1688 Glorious Revolution forced him to flee England, whereupon Parliament feared a return of the civil unrest that had been generated by James II's Catholicism led Parliament to pass the Act of Settlement in 1701. The Act declared that those in the royal line who were Roman Catholic, or who married a Roman Catholic, were barred from the throne.

VonHeisenbourg
VonHeisenbourg
377 posts
Peasant

What does the American term of Corporate person mean?

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

What does the American term of Corporate person mean?

A person who runs the business from a high position (CEO, CFO, COO, President, VP, top managers, Board of Directors, owners, etc) in a company. They tend to have a lot of direct power over what decisions the company makes. They're the ones who give the orders, as contrasted with the 'workers' who are expected to act upon those orders. Consider McDonalds: the Corporate people are the ones who deal with the business and numbers side of things (setting up franchising, advertisements, budgeting, procedures, choosing new products or replacing existing ones, licensing deals, financial stuff, ownership/stock, etc), while the burger-flippers, lower managerial staff, janitors, and cashiers comply to the changes.
VonHeisenbourg
VonHeisenbourg
377 posts
Peasant

Here is a better phrasing of the question I meant to ask: in a simplified laymen term answer, what are all the rights given to companies under the Corporate Personhood act. As well as what are the rights refused by this act, if any?

My original phrasing was poor. I meant to say, what are the rights of any given company, according to the Corporate Personhood Act?

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

I meant to say, what are the rights of any given company, according to the Corporate Personhood Act?

I happen to be taking an open-note business test online, so I've got my book. The rule is in place mainly for legal representation in a court so they are considered seperate from their owners. A corporate entity is the legal concept that allows businesses to sue and be sued, protecting stockholders/owners from being personally sued for the company's actions, as opposed to a sole proprietorship or a company without limited liability. For example, if I own stock in Wal-Mart, and they get sued for, say, not paying employees their wages (not like that could ever happen), I don't have to worry about my personal property being taken away. Limited liability means that the owners aren't personally responsible for what a company does. Unlimited liability means the owners can be financially persecuted in court. For example, if I own a shawarma restaurant and I borrow a lot of money from a bank and go out of business, the court could decide that the business can take assets (property, cash, vehicles, other stuff with value) beyond that of the business to pay for the debt.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

the court could decide that the business can take assets

the court could decide that the *bank can take assets
hojoko
hojoko
510 posts
Peasant

They wanted it to appear democratic, but they still wanted aristocrats to correct any mistakes we might make.

How cynical.

We use electoral votes rather than a system of pure democracy simply because it wasn't feasible for so many people across such a wide distance to vote and get an accurate count. It also makes elections much easier by encouraging states to present a unified vote proportionate to their population, as the popular vote is so often 49 percent to 51 percent for each candidate, which would be a headache to count and recount each election With the introduction of electronic voting, that might change, but electronic voting has it's own problems.
xerox
xerox
715 posts
Bard

Why the government is so corrupted, anywhere in the world? What is the hole in the system that everyone uses?

Also what is the difference between monarchy and any other kind of leadership? I mean both are fine, but in monarchy, there is one king, who is controlled by no one, and in the current Democracy things there are different peoples chosen by everyone but controlled by the same persons. So any other differences?

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Why the government is so corrupted, anywhere in the world? What is the hole in the system that everyone uses?

Simple answer is Man. You can't have anything good, give it to mankind and expect it to still work. Monarchies become tyrannical, Democracies become corrupt, Dictatorships start off as undesirable, and spiral down.

Also what is the difference between monarchy and any other kind of leadership? I mean both are fine, but in monarchy, there is one king, who is controlled by no one, and in the current Democracy things there are different peoples chosen by everyone but controlled by the same persons. So any other differences?

History is written by the victors. Monarchs almost always win. If you had a chance to record yourself in a fashion that will live as long as history-lovers do, would you portray yourself in a glamorous light, or how you were? Not all monarchs were good. Some were notoriously bad.

And, sure, you can claim that Monarchies make an incorruptible person as the leader, but no matter the position of head power, someone lower in the chain can whisper and mutter in the leader's ear, turning him against his people, himself, until the insidious power-player can take the control for himself.
xerox
xerox
715 posts
Bard

I was building a new political system, that is mostly perfect but i dont know for how long. It also will work only if the entire world is united. No chance for working in a single country,

PanzerTank
PanzerTank
1,708 posts
Nomad

What would happen with America's Nation Debt if all nations were to secede from the United States of America? I doubt other countries would be happy with losing trillions of dollars, and I doubt any state would say "hey Europe, and hey Asia we're willing to take on America's old debt."

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

What would happen with America's Nation Debt if all nations were to secede from the United States of America? I doubt other countries would be happy with losing trillions of dollars, and I doubt any state would say "hey Europe, and hey Asia we're willing to take on America's old debt."

devide it by land mass maybe?
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

or something whit amount of the land and population density.
sure we will find a way to devide it even or unevenly. =P

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

sorry for the tripple but i know it now.

we know how much debt per citizen they have.
and if all the states devide then you have to count the amount of people living in the new formed countries. so then you also know how much debt each of them got =)

Showing 1-15 of 33