ForumsThe TavernBlack Belts (or other martial artists)

72 19456
Blackbeltr0
Blackbeltr0
769 posts
Jester

I have just received my 2nd degree black belt I teach classes and do weapons

Please tell me what Belt (rank), and Martial art you train in.

Black belts (do you teach classes?)

• 72 Replies
GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

I used to do Judo when I was younger.
I got to orange or green, I'm not too sure.

thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

I am mastered in the ancient art of Origami.

idigit
idigit
255 posts
Nomad

Taekwon-do

black belt

stopped after 6 years because of too much school work

taught a little bit

some weapons

Blackbeltr0
Blackbeltr0
769 posts
Jester

I am mastered in the ancient art of Origami

ahh... lol wow that was ...cool ok

idigit
WOW Great job my fellow Tae Kwon Do Black Belt

GhostOfHorror
Great job i like judo too
Blackbeltr0
Blackbeltr0
769 posts
Jester

Anyone else i know there has to be lots!!

Sengokura
Sengokura
497 posts
Herald

I almost became a black belt but i had to stop cause of another sport and school work. I did teach classes to younger kids. Generally I usually helped in classes and rarely taught them

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

I got to either green or blue in taekwondo over a summer, but then school started so...

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

OP (original poster): what style TKD are you, WTF, ITF or something else? Do you compete in Poomsae or sparring?

After a dozen years of farting around and doing various martial arts but never grading in any of them, I decided I should commit to learning one (or many) of them, so I picked up WTF TKD. Work is slowing my progress down considerably so I don't intend on grading for 1-dan until at least 2015. Also I started competing in sparring tournaments but again work gets in the way, so I'll come back to it later, but I feel that as far as tkd is concerned sparring is important to sharpen one's technique. One can really tell the difference between the black belts who do spar competitively, and those who don't, by the sharpness of their technique, and their sense of space.

Funnily enough I kept getting busted for using karate stance (because of my prior karate experience), and my opponents get dreadfully confused by my habit of parrying every strike instead of dodging (because of my prior kung fu experience). Which makes me think, a long long time down the track, once I feel I have attained a basic level of competency in TKD, I should probably do the same for karate and kung fu, though I feel those will be much harder than for TKD.

Blackbeltr0
Blackbeltr0
769 posts
Jester

WTF.

Do you compete in Poomsae or sparring?

Both. I Took Grand Champion in Weapons, Poomsae and Sparring. Glad u did well hope u get that Belt in 2015 I will be testing also in 2015 for my 3rd dan
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

The ranking and training one has doesn't necessarily reflect the color belt they wear. Some places have more colors between white and black some have less. Some places you have to earn a white belt, some places will just give it to you flat out. The requirements to go to the next level can be vastly different as well. So in the end finding out what belt a person wears tells you nothing.

Blackbeltr0
Blackbeltr0
769 posts
Jester

accually u still have to earn it if u dont earn it u are not a black belt

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

I have trained in various martial arts however I never received a "rank" or a "belt" because my training was somewhat unorthodox. If I could say my belt ranking I think it might be a black belt, might be. I am not sure but I do have some sort of high rank.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

I wear a black belt every day. Helps keep my jeans from falling around my ankles.

Oh, and you're not supposed to wear them with brown shoes. That's a major fashion faux pas.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

So in the end finding out what belt a person wears tells you nothing.

In a way yes. Depends on where you come from, especially if you're in an Asian country, or a country which cites a national martial art. In particular, you do not want to mess with a black belt in TKD in Korea (especially not an ITF practicioner), nor would you want to pick a fight with a black belt karateka in Japan. By and large the training and their requirements are hardcore and they don't get a choice between sparring or not, they just do everything.

I find the Australian approach to grading and advancement in TKD to be generally very relaxed (except at the clubs which train international and olympic fighters). Here, all the colour of the belt will tell you is how many forms that person has learnt.
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

I wear a black belt every day. Helps keep my jeans from falling around my ankles.

Maybe you should stop living the thug lyfe and start wearing jeans that fit :P
Showing 1-15 of 72