ForumsThe TavernWhat language is best to learn in Highschool?

56 8537
tegan190
tegan190
783 posts
Nomad

This was a really big concern to me when I started high school. What language is the best to take, and will be the most useful in my daily life and also a job or getting into a good college. I eventually decided to take Spanish out of the choices of french, German, Chinese and Spanish of course. Living in California, and a part of California that is mainly Hispanic I thought that Spanish would be the best choice because I could communicate with the majority of people who spoke another language besides English. I was also concerned if colleges preferred one language over each other, and if my dream job in the future required a different language than Spanish. So far, the extent of my newly learned language was when I ordered a taco in Spanish at my local Taqueria. What language did you guys choose in highschool, or are thinking you're going to take?

• 56 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

, russian,

I don't think it's that relevant now....being confined mostly to EE and the old USSR republics.
BurnKush420
BurnKush420
100 posts
Nomad

[quote]I don't think it's that relevant now....being confined mostly to EE and the old USSR republics.[quote]

where do you get all your supreme knowledge from?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

where do you get all your supreme knowledge from?

Common sense and varied reading?
BurnKush420
BurnKush420
100 posts
Nomad

Common sense and varied reading?

what books might you reccomend to me?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

what books might you reccomend to me?

I can't help you if you're being sarcastic about everything.

Any Cold War book. Gaddis, LaFeber, Appleman, Garton Ash. Any book on contemporary and Enlightenment age Russia. Figes and the like.
BurnKush420
BurnKush420
100 posts
Nomad

I can't help you if you're being sarcastic about everything.

oh im being completely serious sir
tegan190
tegan190
783 posts
Nomad

Honestly, I don't think that Russian is as useful as any other language. Also, It's kind of a rare language to see being a class at school.

JoshTheBoss
JoshTheBoss
417 posts
Nomad

Learn English Then maybe learn English. Then maybe you can learn another on because it'll help you with your English, you ****tard. My second suggestion would be binary.

tegan190
tegan190
783 posts
Nomad

Learn English Then maybe learn English. Then maybe you can learn another on because it'll help you with your English, you ****tard. My second suggestion would be binary.

I don't know if you're trolling or not.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

But with Latin there are no paragraphs, or even sentances, it's an old dead language with no sort of punctuation.

What type of Latin did you learn? O.o the punctuation is there...though not as we know it. Certain words determined how it was punctuated...eventually, to make it easier, they converted those words to symbols related to the word (distorted the letters)
yourawesomeness
yourawesomeness
103 posts
Peasant

im taking Latin one. it's fun because with every other word you're like "oh thats where the English word came from." the poetry is also very bad

Showing 46-56 of 56