ForumsThe TavernI have super smell abilities

26 3756
squidlidink
squidlidink
479 posts
Farmer

ok.. Am I alone or can someone else out there smell a food and Identify 15 ingredients or more in it? I can also smell summer, and I can Identify race by smelling someone, and I can smell a book and know the plotline or what kind of book it is. Plus all this other stuff.

My nose looks weird too. It is curved upwards, so it looks like a mini skijump. LOL!

Does anyone else have this same ability? Please explain.

• 26 Replies
Retribution_999
Retribution_999
263 posts
Nomad

I really don't know if people can do that, but all people are different.

squidlidink
squidlidink
479 posts
Farmer

yeah it's weird.... I just want to know if I'm a freak or not. XD

Retribution_999
Retribution_999
263 posts
Nomad

I don't think your a freak, but to some people, you may seem like one...

Retribution_999
Retribution_999
263 posts
Nomad

Now, don't take any offense on that or anything, I didn't mean it that way...

cooldude99778
cooldude99778
201 posts
Nomad

weird but cool but strange but... you get the idea.

Retribution_999
Retribution_999
263 posts
Nomad

Yeah, we all do...

StraightJaketMan
StraightJaketMan
619 posts
Nomad

how brag-ishly freaky! Don't we all wish we could tell someone's race by smell. But nooooooo, we have to use our eyes--> 8)

Retribution_999
Retribution_999
263 posts
Nomad

Hey! What's wrong with that? Unless a certain race hurts your eyes?

squidlidink
squidlidink
479 posts
Farmer

nope. No race hurts my eyes. I'm not racist. On the other hand I don't think StraightJaketMan is either. : )

squidlidink
squidlidink
479 posts
Farmer

But anywayz.... Do you guys think I'm weird?

squidlidink
squidlidink
479 posts
Farmer

Just asking..... Random fact: school just ended for me today! Yay!

I am very happy! : )

dannyereXD
dannyereXD
85 posts
Nomad

good for you! lol I don`t think your weird, it`s just that ability is weird!

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

I see a career in food testing for you...seriously, people with good senses of smell usually become food testers.

You sure you're not making this up?

KingRyan

stumpyyy
stumpyyy
173 posts
Nomad

i always smell really good. i never smell bad. i only smell bad prolly after a lacrosee game or practice.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Smell is subjective, but you should all know: our dependence on sight is misguided. Smell is several orders of magnitude better at discerning things than sight is, and better yet you can smell things that you wouldn't have a hope of seeing. Hearing, too, is superior to sight.

Why do humans use sight so much? You can think about that one, it's an interesting question to ponder.

As for smell, most of those things are well within the realm of plausibility. As long as you pay good attention you can train your brain to recognise what comes through the olfactory inputs with alarming accuracy- certain food and fragrance companies employ professional sniffers (yes, humans) to identify and pioneer new scents, and in order to qualify you need to be able to detect up to 40 different substances in the same mixture in the blink of an eye, and up to 2000 different substances.

Because I am a walking culinary disaster, my food smelling abilities are rudimentary. However I can smell weather (if you know your surrounds enough you can also tell the direction of the prevalent winds as well as when the rain's gonna come in), differentiate between race (this is not being racist), and, provided I've gotten the scent, recognise people by smell. These are all parts of functions and behaviors that we may have had to rely on in the past but not so much these days.

On which note...what is your attitude to perfumes, aftershave and deodorant?

Showing 1-15 of 26