ForumsThe TavernTo be the other gender?

133 24809
Superior101
Superior101
74 posts
Peasant

Which gender would you prefer to be? List your pros and cons or whatever reasons you may have for liking that gender. Please try not to be sexist or make rude remarks about another gender. Personally, I would prefer to be a boy (and I am) because I just like it better and couldn't imagine myself as a girl.

• 133 Replies
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

Also it's easier to talk to boys

no it's easier to talk whit girls.
boys always want to be better then the others. always some sort of competitive stuff going on between us.
girls are better able to accept people for who they are, and being equal.
the only reason I wouldn't want to be a boy is that you're all really, really hairy.

not all of us.
sure more then you, but were not all monkeys.

And you all have the capacity to be so annoying I could pull my eyes out.

dont get me started on girls.... pffffft. =P
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

I'd want to be a girl if I had the chance. The female body can do things that the male body can't. And if I could I would want to try and experience pregnancy, periods, girl chat, stay at home mom(optional), etc. Also don't forget the natural way of feeding babies which is nursing, although that one kinda gets me less motivated, but meh.

Plus I want to put on girl make-up, without people looking at me like I've lost my brain.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Xzeno, stop being so rude. You may think I'm picking on you because we're like friends outside of AG, and well, that's partially correct :P

But seriously don't cause unnecessary friction on the thread, because I don't like that.

My girlfriend has mentioned what she believes to be a systematic discrimination and perceived power inequality between the sexes. As one who is ostensibly male I feel like it's automatically more difficult to discern whether this is externalising or objectively true, but as far as I can tell unfortunately it seems more likely to be the latter (can't have smoke without fire, and there are measurable differences), one that goes beyond the scope of "don't worry about it and simply be yourself".

For all that, I have to say I would rather not be female.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

So, saying you would just "adapt to your new lifestyle" is pretty inaccurate. More like, struggle with it?

At first, undoubtedly. But I'd have to adapt to the new lifestyle eventually. Or kill myself, I suppose.

I'd want to be a girl if I had the chance. The female body can do things that the male body can't. And if I could I would want to try and experience pregnancy, periods, girl chat, stay at home mom(optional), etc. Also don't forget the natural way of feeding babies which is nursing, although that one kinda gets me less motivated, but meh.

Plus I want to put on girl make-up, without people looking at me like I've lost my brain.

I don't even know where to begin...

R2D2 + Motherhood = One messed up baby. It just isn't feasible.
idigit
idigit
255 posts
Nomad

Well a long time ago my friend an I wrote an entire story/essay/novel about a world in which every sixteen years of their life, humans switch genders. so on your sixteenth birthday, and your 32nth bday, and your 48th, etc...

so yeah. a freaky world where a bunch of crazy stuff happened. but the benefit of this is that it isn't permanent.

So i guess thats my answer. Id agree to TRY being a girl for lets say...a year or 6 months ONLY IF i had the opportunity to switch back or stay a girl after that time period.

xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,711 posts
Blacksmith

male or female...why not both (a hermaphrodite)?

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

But that would threaten our diametrically opposed dichotomous models of sex and gender!!! D:

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

I would not like to be a girl just because all the fights I hear of btwn girls are more emotionally harming instead the fights boys do which are mostly physical.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

But that would threaten our diametrically opposed dichotomous models of sex and gender!!! D:

Speaking of this, I always get the terminology confused. Sex is what someone physically is, whilst gender is what someone perceives themselves to be as, correct? Or is there a clearer way at stating this that I'm unaware of?
Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Sex is what someone physically is, whilst gender is what someone perceives themselves to be as, correct?
No. Rather, that is not the use of the terminology in an academic sense.

Gender is used predominately to refer to gender identities constructed and impressed on individuals by society. The difference is subtle but important. See it? If not I can explain more, but I'm lazy right now and I feel like you get the idea of how cultural factors effect identity categories.
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

The difference is subtle but important. See it?

Mostly. What is the academic terminology? Female/Male?

impressed on individuals by society

I'm not sure I wholly agree with this part, however. Impressing gender identities sure, but is how someone views themselves impressed? What makes someone a "man" or "woman" is largely defined by society, but how someone views themselves?

I would argue that society determines what a "gender" is, and then people pick based on how well they conform to it. Sort of like a video game with pre-made classes and people picking what is most similar to them, then they individually fill out that role further. Which leaves us with the people who do not identify with any of the roles.
Charlie506
Charlie506
1,298 posts
Nomad

Being a woman seems too hard.....

DidactUnbound
DidactUnbound
370 posts
Nomad

I don't know if I could handle being the other gender, it's hard enough being the gender I am.

Showing 121-133 of 133