ForumsSupport ForumMMOs on AG

46 7330
EagleOfFire2
EagleOfFire2
125 posts
Shepherd

Now, I really dislike MMOs. It is really the kind of game I think should not happen at all for a flash game. Doesn't make sense in any ways and there is already so many of this kind of games flooding sites like Facebook and whatever... But even then, there is still sometimes gems in genres I loathe which make them worthwhile to play. And of course you can't know that without trying them.

So that new Pirate MMO look interesting to me. That's a theme (space exploration and combat etc) which I like. So I thought, I guess I'll give it a try to see if it's any good.

Now, here's the problem: please explain to me how I'm supposed to stop thinking that MMOs are crap if they don't even start or launch if I want to try them?

When I click on the icon to start the game, I'm brought back to the exact same page I was before.

• 46 Replies
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Checked just to make sure and it runs perfectly for me as well... did you make sure that the Java you have is updated to the latest version? That was the first thing Chrome told me when trying to play it. Updated it and it runs...

If it's nothing what Devoidless and me said, try asking about it in the support forum for the game... I'm actually at the end of what I know to help you here... =/

EagleOfFire2
EagleOfFire2
125 posts
Shepherd

I'm going to check that when I'll have time. I'm actually running a legacy machine so it's not even guaranteed I can update.

Though it would be strange that I actually need to upgrade Java to solve this problem. I usually try to keep Java up to date to run Minecraft too.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

I didn't receive my update notification for the latest version of java for my mac either. The windows version notified automatically, so it might be a settings thingy...

EagleOfFire2
EagleOfFire2
125 posts
Shepherd

I didn't have time to check yet (I really wish I had been able to "test" that MMO game out on the weekend the problem arised... When I had time to play...) but even if it was a java problem why is the site bent on sending me back to the same link continuously without even an hint of a problem being reported?

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

I'm really trying to grasp what it is that is going wrong for you here, because I retraced your actions step by steps a third time and here's what I did and found...

# I went to the MMO Category page on ArmorGames;

# I clicked the "Learn More" button;

http://armorgames.com/images/btn-learnmore.png
(This image is normally single, not double of course...)

and this took me to the game page for Pirate Galaxy;

# I clicked "Run" on the Java popup screen;

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8204/8207418843_5cb70cdc0c_d.jpg

And the game loaded without a problem...

I'm a bit lost on the problem right now... =/

EagleOfFire2
EagleOfFire2
125 posts
Shepherd

Erm... I don't recall ever seeing a pop-up like this in my entire life.

What's that?

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

That's what I was talking about. You have to give the program permission to run on your computer. Without such permission, the game can not load or run on your setup.

EagleOfFire2
EagleOfFire2
125 posts
Shepherd

There is a lot of programs which could interfere with a pop-up or JavaScript or Java itself. FireFox block pop-ups by default. I have NoScript which could block the script. The script could also be blocked by default.

Thing is, in all those 3 options there should be a warning that something tried to activate and was blocked. Unfortunately, what really happen is that the page itself reload.

If I would have seen a pop-up or a program trying to load I would have understood what is going on. I'm not a newbie. But even if I would want to manually allow a specific Java or JavaScript program to be allowed, I'd need the exact address of said said or JS entry. I have no access to any of those information with the current site layout.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

I could be stating the obvious thing here, but... have you tried turning off the popup-blockers and load the game? You said it yourself that it might be the exact thing that is blocking you from palying the game, so why not try it with the blockers turned off?

EagleOfFire2
EagleOfFire2
125 posts
Shepherd

That option is not acceptable. It is part of my computer security system and never deactivating those is what made my computer completely virus and problem free for 10 years.

I'd much prefer not being able to try the game than doing so.

This reminds me of a little chat on a forum I had with a game designer once. The game was nice and all, but it froze every time I tried to start it with my firewall on (probably because the game was trying to communicate with the game site at each start-up). And the suggestion of the game designer, to "solver my problem", was "simply stop using your firewall. You don't need it to play this game anyways".

I'm not trying to compare you to this rather stupid individual at all... But I find the similarity of both situations a little humorous.

InvalidUser123
InvalidUser123
39 posts
Shepherd

"what made my computer completely virus and problem free for 10 years."

There is no such thing as 'roblem free' when it comes to computers.

When you click the link to go to the game, and you go to that page, how long do you wait? The game is rather large, and for me, nothing shows up for almost 2 minutes while it loads.

EagleOfFire2
EagleOfFire2
125 posts
Shepherd

There is no such thing as 'roblem free' when it comes to computers.

Lol. Sure. That's what they want you to believe... :P

When you click the link to go to the game, and you go to that page, how long do you wait? The game is rather large, and for me, nothing shows up for almost 2 minutes while it loads.

Nothing at all since I never get to a page which get something to load?
InvalidUser123
InvalidUser123
39 posts
Shepherd

The link that you posted before, that's the page with the game on it. You need to let it load.

InvalidUser123
InvalidUser123
39 posts
Shepherd

http://armorgames.com/pirate-galaxy-game/13916

In case you can't find it.

bfhman
bfhman
6 posts
Peasant

i agree with eagle these mmo`s are mostly rushed and not fun

Showing 16-30 of 46