ForumsArt, Music, and WritingDaleks Does Art

52 21386
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Meh. Because of tons of peer pressure I have chosen out of not so free will to make this thread. I will post slowly things I have made through the years and then shamefully hide under the covers as people laugh at them.

So without further ado here is the first picture that I have chosen to upload:
http://i.imgur.com/O1lHB.jpg

• 52 Replies
Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

No laughing here, man. I see potential.

I think you gave a good attempt at perspective with the Coliseum, though it angles away to sharply. Some objects are outlined, while others aren't. If you were going for a more realistic or naturalistic approach you wouldn't use outlines, but you may have wanted two styles for all I know. I like the attempt at shading, but try to ease the transition from dark to light a bit more.

That's all I have. I hope you post more, we need these kinda threads to balance out all of the poem ones, lol.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

It looks really nifty.
Like, really nifty. The lack of lineart (which I personally would consider the better choice here) does make the characters fade into the background easily, even with the shading (that nifty, nifty shading). A big, bold line would really make them pop, and define the characters, and they would most likely call for making the lineart smooth easier.

I don't know why you say you can't draw, you just need to join the club of no-self-esteem artists.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

No laughing here, man. I see potential.

Thanks.
I hope you post more, we need these kinda threads to balance out all of the poem ones, lol.

Haha. That is very true.
I don't know why you say you can't draw, you just need to join the club of no-self-esteem artists.

I would need a signup sheet for that.

Just so you guys know, all this is pretty old. From Freshman year. And I am posting them in no order whats o ever. Sorry that they are so big too.
http://i.imgur.com/3JZEI.jpg
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Not very good at drawing, so forgive me on that ground.

But I do know military equipment, so I'll just CC that.

Osprey is nice, and the scaling is good. But the perspective is off, and I think thats part of the shading. And if the engines are in the Vertical Takeoff position, shouldn't the fuselage be more head on? The way the fuselage is drawn it would seem to suggest that its' goving forward, and the engines don't really match that. And the US is off, to put it nicely.

*prepares for hate speech*

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

And the US is off, to put it nicely.

The US is supposed to look like that. It is supposed to be like the words at the beginning of Star Wars movies. It didn't really come out that great.
toprichieboy
toprichieboy
82 posts
Nomad

Looks like me.

Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

join the club of no-self-esteem artists

Members 1,203, 032 :P (83% from the internet, the other 17% are a mystery)

Anyways looks good, can I make a suggestion Image cropping with a tool like gimp?
GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

I'm sorry, but I do believe you said somewhere that your art was terrible?
Pfft!
It's actually rather good.

In the first one; you should darken the outline of the characters a little more, so they stand out.
Otherwise, it's pretty great.

In the second one, you could improve on the colouring slightly, looks like you went in several different directions as opposed to going horizontally, vertically or diagonally at all times.
Good, though, shape of the map is quite good.
Also; the aeroplane is drawn quite well too.

Post more!

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Looks like me.

Unless you look like a poorly drawn Darth Vader, a pretty good Meta Knight, or an OK CV-22 then I highly doubt that it looks like you.
can I make a suggestion Image cropping with a tool like gimp?

I should probably crop it in Photoshop.
In the first one; you should darken the outline of the characters a little more, so they stand out.
Otherwise, it's pretty great.

Well the Darth Vader makes me cringe every time I look at it. The Meta Knight I do happen to like. I probably should have put a drop shadow or something on it.
Good, though, shape of the map is quite good.
Also; the aeroplane is drawn quite well too.

The shape is pretty good for the south. The northeast is totally messed up. I think I cut part of California. It is NOT and airplane! It is a CV-22.
I'm sorry, but I do believe you said somewhere that your art was terrible?
Post more!

I did say my art was terrible. I am showing you the better ones right now. I might not even post some because my paintings make me want to claw my eyes out when I look at them.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

my paintings make me want to claw my eyes out when I look at them.

No doubt, these are terrible, I have no idea what the hell you were thinking posting them.

Kidding. You did some fine work, although Darth Vader's head and what ever it is that seems to be flying off of his upper back seem a little finicky. The Meta-Knight came out great. As for the second piece, the US looks very strange, even knowing the effect you were going for. The CV-22 looks great, although your rotors on the left side are a bit crooked.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

You don't need a sign-up sheet, you just have to come to at least two annual meetings where we sit down and complain about our artistic abilities.

I want to see some of your new art. The things that makes you want to claw your eyes out over, because my general observation is that the more you hate a piece of art, the more the viewers will enjoy it.

Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

Who needs self-esteem anyway? Feeling good about yourself just gets in the way of creating angst filled art.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Exactly. Though, considering I used most of my teenage years doing that, it would be nice moving out of that range.
And it doesn't seem like Daleks is running around, mingling with the emo angsters, so it might not be that necessary for him.

It is a great way for going "I love drawing, ef you, self esteem, I want to do this!" every once in a while, though. Makes you do a bit better on everything (but often those will be the pieces you don't want critiques on, because it will screw with your feeling of accomplishment and pride).

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

I want to see some of your new art. The things that makes you want to claw your eyes out over

Who ever said that it was new? This is all old. I just do stuff on the computer now.
And it doesn't seem like Daleks is running around, mingling with the emo angsters, so it might not be that necessary for him.

Ya, I am just that nerdy kid with a little talent.
Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

Ya, I am just that nerdy kid with a little talent.

I dont believe in talent, just luck and practice :P as for low self esteem...already know there better artists then me just try and learn from them...sometimes buggin them till they help.

I just do stuff on the computer now

Do you do digital drawings Oo
Showing 1-15 of 52