ForumsWEPRU.S.A Vs U.K. Which is better?

80 29865
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

I say U.K. We have gun control, which helps keep the homicide rate down. We also have free healthcare for all. That's a start;what do you think?

• 80 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

This is where my problem starts Everyone gets health care... Good right??
Yeah thats good But when some people WORK for that and others DON'T then I have an issue.

What about those that can't work?

but in america you have the right to buy what you want to

Customer: "I'd like a pack of gum, please"
Clerk: "NO! Get the **** out of my store!"
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

Gun control won't keep crime rates up or down. That's a silly myth designed in part so that we can pretend like the wealth stratification we all benefit from isn't the real causal factor.

On the other hand, there is more homicide in th u.s.a.
(source: UNODC)
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

As a percentage, or by number? And is that only by firearm?

1. mexico: 18.3 per 100.000 people
2. estonia: 5.3 " " "
3. usa: 5.1 " " "
4. don't remember: 3.7 " " "
davezorz
davezorz
2 posts
Shepherd

So many ways you can go on this to argue who is better in which category (such as economy, military, etc)...but I'm guessing how you mean better isn't by comparison of these categories..but for personal preference.

For me..I'll just open up my military strategist me...U.S.A.
Especially now...it would be extremely difficult for the U.K. to win against the U.S. in a head-to-head war. Extremely..difficult

I agree with pangtongshu. It's really too hard to compare because they are both so different, and both have their pros and cons. Not sure it is possible to make a 100% determination between either being better or worse.
DUNE787
DUNE787
2 posts
Peasant

Neither.

UK has the European Union which is messing everything up and the US is too fiscally irresponsible.
Canada is the way to go!

BritHennerz
BritHennerz
408 posts
Farmer

It seems that many comments saying that the US is better are about Democracy and

you can buy what you want
yet the UK is a more liberal country and is still a democracy with an elected government.

I like the US, the food portions are great, everyone is friendly and things are cheaper there but it's just a bit too mad for me. Everyone keeps on cheering which does my head in.
BritHennerz
BritHennerz
408 posts
Farmer

2 - Healthcare there is Free.

No it's not.

Um yes it is. The NHS provides a healthcare service free of charge. There are other options if you want a higher standard of healthcare, for that you have to pay.
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

On the other hand, there is more homicide in th u.s.a.

Bigger population+bad economy+increase in illegal immigrants=more homicide
I would have to say U.S.A, simply because I have never been to England. Naturally, I would chose U.S.A.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Bigger population+bad economy+increase in illegal immigrants=more homicide

England has a crappier economy. It too has many illegal immigrants, leading to the formation of more nationalist parties/groups, such as the BNP and EDL.

At any rate, per capita, the UK has around 4 times less a homicide rate.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

yet the UK is a more liberal country and is still a democracy with an elected government.

Except...UK is a Constitutional Monarchy
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Except...UK is a Constitutional Monarchy

Constitutional monarchy means little. The monarch has almost zero real power. It's far better to describe it as a democracy with a Parliamentary, Westminster system.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Isn't it technically an oligarchy? Or has that changed?

No....I don't know where you get such ideas from. The aristocrats only have the House of Lords, and even then, they're going to curtail the power.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

And besides, you're probably paying for it one way or another - the money for it has to come from somewhere, and if it's funded by the government, that means that some of your taxes would be going to it, so no, it's not very free.

TANSTAAFL anyone? There aint' no such thing as a free lunch.
What is better, having a percentage of your pay taken away so that, if you get sick or injure yourself, it costs almost nothing, or paying through the nose for healthcare that many cannot afford?
But, I direct you people to a speech made by President Michael Higgins of Ireland against Michael Graham, Tea-Party supporter:
You have to love Mr Higgins
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

TANSTAAFL anyone? There aint' no such thing as a free lunch.
What is better, having a percentage of your pay taken away so that, if you get sick or injure yourself, it costs almost nothing, or paying through the nose for healthcare that many cannot afford?
But, I direct you people to a speech made by President Michael Higgins of Ireland against Michael Graham, Tea-Party supporter:

Course there's gonna be a tax. But I'll rather a floor, than not having a floor.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

maybe you don't have to pay for it, but the service is going to be crap and there's no guarantee that you'll even GET service

since it gets paid for one way or the other.
the service you get is not less because you pay nothing.

anyway in usa there is also no guarantee.
if you break your leg and you can't pay for a fix. then you simple do not get a fix. whit the probablity of becoming handicaped the rest of your life. simple because you dont have the money.
in uk they atleast fix it. a bad fix is better then no fix at all, in my opinion.
Showing 31-45 of 80