ForumsWEPRGhosts/Can atheists believe in them?

111 33222
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

So..I'm sure this was once a thread...but I haven't seen it at all recently so I don't want o go looking for the possible previous one

Do you believe in ghosts? Why or why not? etc

"But pang..why is this in WEPR? This should go in The Tavern!"
Don't worry..I gots this covered..

Do you believe ghosts, if they were real, would be valid proof that there is an afterlife as believed by many religions? (which, I'm sure if you go deep enough, would eventually become a "does god exist argument"...but that isn't the question...so...yeah)

• 111 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

I just tried to make a scientific explination for ghosts of course it sucks

I can't tell whether you're saying of course it sucks because ghosts don't exist, or because you were just saying stuff off the top of your head.

i didnt say no one alse could see them did I

You implied it with this statement: "spirits will only interact with certain people for certain reasons."

pretty much yah

Well, what proof do you have for auras? Emotions are chemical reactions in the brain, they don't have "energy" so to speak, much less an area of effect.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

1) For a couple of months...every monday I would have scratch marks on my neck. I never noticed them..it was always someone else would notice 'em and asked me what happened. And it was only on mondays too..no marks on Sunday...marks on monday..then they were gone the next day

Were there any activities you did on the weekend that you didn't do the rest of the week?

Some other explanations that could result in seemingly unexplainable scratch marks are dry skin, a HSV infection, Some sort of allergy (this could be either something touched or eaten), Scabies.

2) Not sure of the reliability of this one..but one of my teachers told me of how he and a couple of friends were at a supposedly haunted house..they entered and after some time the girl of the group yelped and arched her back like something hit her there..they checked her back to see what was wrong and saw 3 scratch marks going all the way down her back

Very hard to say exactly what happened given the lack of details and this being hearsay. Though just based on what information was given, I would guess that she just scratched herself on something and just didn't see what.

Energy can not be created or destroyed

It does however change states.

we know there are electrical synapses in the brain that form our conscies our memories our personality and so on

A synapse is a physical structure that allows neurons to pass electrical and chemical signals. They aren't made of electricity. Even if they were they wouldn't remain but dissipate. Even if we were to accept that they were made of energy and survived after death, for memory and personality to survive we would need the chemical interactions that are produced by those electrical signals.

attach to that emotional energy

Emotions aren't a form of energy. If anything we could call them chemical responses.

i didnt say no one alse could see them did I ?

Who else claims to see them?
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Were there any activities you did on the weekend that you didn't do the rest of the week?

Not that I can think of..I was pretty lazy back then (much more than I am now haha)

Some other explanations that could result in seemingly unexplainable scratch marks are dry skin, a HSV infection, Some sort of allergy (this could be either something touched or eaten), Scabies.

Dry skin - Doubt it

HSV - Really don't think this is it O.o and the scratches were just for a couple of months..never had them before..haven't had 'em since

allergy - Not allergic to anything

Scabies - Seems pretty reasonable...if it is possible to just have the scratch marks I had. From what I read, it causes much more
TheGenovesan
TheGenovesan
65 posts
Nomad

Nah, I don't believe in ghosts. If none of the five senses can detect something, then it is the equivilant of not existing in the first place. If ghosts lived around us all the time but we couldn't sense them, then they are pretty much non-existant.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

That you know of. Wouldn't rule out an allergy that was unknown. It's even possible that you could have had an allergy than grew out of it later.

If none of the five senses can detect something, then it is the equivilant of not existing in the first place.

There are plenty of things our senses are incapable of detecting directly that do exist. The problem is we don't even have reliable evidence of indirect observation.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

that was what i was thinking untill my 29 when i out of nowhere was allergic for some kind of plant in south america. xD
so i did a test and it turned out i got atleast 4 allergies. xD
Showing 106-111 of 111