ForumsThe TavernBattle of the Brands (Current battle: pg. 194)

1882 1226717
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

So... I had this random idea while taking a dump ^^
Battle of the Brands!
http://www.sensorysol.com.au/battleofthebrands/Images/header-glove.jpg

Anyways... here are the rules:
-One vote per person
-no spam
-suggestions on my profile ONLY

Okay here's the first one!

http://keithsawyer.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/apple-logo1.jpg
VS
http://www5.pcmag.com/media/images/355088-new-microsoft-logo.jpg

Or simply Apple vs Microsoft.

Voting starts NOW! I will allow two weeks since this contest is new.
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm44/Cingris/Race%20Post/GoFlagForPost.jpg

-Dapro

• 1,882 Replies
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Whoah, that battle ran over a little bit... My fault.

Barq's wins... I'm not going to count, you guys hurt my feelings. *sniff*

Next battle, between two of the most prominent sporting events in the world:

The Fédération Internationale de Football Association's World Cup:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e8/WC-2014-Brasil.svg/500px-WC-2014-Brasil.svg.png

Vs.

The National Football League's Super Bowl:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/16/Super_Bowl_logo.svg/500px-Super_Bowl_logo.svg.png

Round ends in five days!

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Super Bowl. Never watched Soccer(football for other countries).

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,764 posts
Chamberlain

Microsoft obviously. Windows (not that I like Windows 8) and Xbox past and future.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Manly! Wrong battle!

GandalftheGrey666
GandalftheGrey666
1,859 posts
Peasant

I vote for FIFA World Cup.

Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

I vote for FIFA, because American "hand egg" does not compare to real football. Though, I'm American too. And I also like American Football. I just like Soccer more, I guess?

Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,372 posts
Nomad

Football because American football isn't very fluid they just stop and start all the time and I just cba to pay attention

Clancy12
Clancy12
6,400 posts
Lord

I don't like either of them, but I vote for FIFA, because it's the only one that I can stand to watch without smashing the TV.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

because American "hand egg" does not compare to real football.

Don't call it hand egg. It's American Football, please refer to it by it's rightful name. (Even though it doesn't technically use the foot in every play, it does require a great amount of lower body skill. Not only that, but hand egg doesn't really make sense.)

Also, it may offend some people. It would kind of like somebody calling Soccer (Football) "foot-round."
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

I'm voting super bowl. Awesome commercials aside, I prefer the level of strategy that goes into the plays instead of 'go out and win'.

Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

Don't call it hand egg. It's American Football, please refer to it by it's rightful name. (Even though it doesn't technically use the foot in every play, it does require a great amount of lower body skill. Not only that, but hand egg doesn't really make sense.)

Also, it may offend some people. It would kind of like somebody calling Soccer (Football) "foot-round."

My apologies. I just find it irritating how it's called Football, I suppose. Though, don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching the sport. And yes, it requires immense lower body strength and skill, but I prefer it if the name were adjusted or changed. That's my opinion, though.

Also, "foot-round" does not make any sense, as the word "ball" in "football" (soccer in the context I'm referring to) actually means, by definition, an object that is usually round or spherical. The only exception to the definition is American Football, but because it is the sole exception, I don't really consider it acceptable to call it a ball.

I mean, why change the definition of "ball" just for one sport?
As a side note, I don't mean to offend anybody in any way, shape or form. Just stating my thoughts and opinions.

Feel free to argue.
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

I mean, why change the definition of "ball" just for one sport?

There is no set definition on what a ball is. Hand-egg makes as much sense as foot-round. The ball is ovoid, just like a soccer ball is spherical.

Since you watch american football, you should be aware that the ball is kicked frequently with the foot, so the name does fit. =D
Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

There is no set definition on what a ball is. Hand-egg makes as much sense as foot-round. The ball is ovoid, just like a soccer ball is spherical.

Here the definition of ball. As you can see, the only exception to the definition and actually fulfills the criteria of being ovoid yet still being a ball is the game of rugby and American football.
However, even the 19th century game of rugby made distinctions between their balls and other balls of other sports, always referring it as a "rugby ball".
Also, it was called rugby, which is one thing I like. =P

Since you watch american football, you should be aware that the ball is kicked frequently with the foot, so the name does fit. =D

Sure, but not as frequently and as important as soccer. In fact, punting only gets you a point because the real objective and &quotoint getter" of the game is to get a touchdown which requires mostly the usage of hands, teamwork, running, and some form or basis of a strategy.
I would think you would name the sport after the most important and frequent aspects of the game.

Also, the names can cause confusion between sports. Not many people say "American Football", but rather, just "Football".

Anyways, my vote still stands on FIFA.
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

However, even the 19th century game of rugby made distinctions between their balls and other balls of other sports, always referring it as a "rugby ball".

It's called an American Football to you foreigners (don't take that as offensive), and here in the states we just call it a Football. It's really interesting, seeing the different definitions the assorted countries have for stuff.

Here the definition of ball.

It says it's usually spherical, not that it always has to be spherical.

Sure, but not as frequently and as important as soccer.

Not as important? Are you sure? The three points scored off of a field goal can frequently say who wins and who loses. I could give you example after example of this. Sure the kicking doesn't occur very often, but when it does, huge plays can happen. That's what is so cool about American Football. Any play could be a miracle.

punting only gets you a point

I thought you watched American Football... You don't score points from punts.

Also, the names can cause confusion between sports. Not many people say "American Football", but rather, just "Football".

I try to distinguish between the two while online, but it's not easy. Here in the states, when you say football, you're talking about American, while Soccer is used for Association.

Anyways, my vote still stands on FIFA.

Not trying to change your vote. Just discussing a rather interesting topic. =D

You like FIFA, no biggie.
Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

It's called an American Football to you foreigners (don't take that as offensive)

I'm American, too. I don't know what gave off the impression that I'm not. Maybe my denunciation of football's name? Well, I've always been fond of foreign countries and have been traveling around a lot during the summers because of that. Still a full-fledged American, though.

I thought you watched American Football... You don't score points from punts.

My mistake. I don't really know why I said that. *facepalm* But you know what I mean. Field goals. xD The first and last time I confuse punting and field goal kicking.

Anyways, let's agree to disagree.
I mean, it's not exactly appropriate to debate American Football's name and it's other features in this thread, is it? It was a nice conversation, though. =)
Showing 751-765 of 1882