ForumsThe TavernBattle of the Brands (Current battle: pg. 194)

1882 1226732
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

So... I had this random idea while taking a dump ^^
Battle of the Brands!
http://www.sensorysol.com.au/battleofthebrands/Images/header-glove.jpg

Anyways... here are the rules:
-One vote per person
-no spam
-suggestions on my profile ONLY

Okay here's the first one!

http://keithsawyer.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/apple-logo1.jpg
VS
http://www5.pcmag.com/media/images/355088-new-microsoft-logo.jpg

Or simply Apple vs Microsoft.

Voting starts NOW! I will allow two weeks since this contest is new.
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm44/Cingris/Race%20Post/GoFlagForPost.jpg

-Dapro

• 1,882 Replies
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Still a full-fledged American, though.

Stupid assumption on my part... Doh!

Anyways, let's agree to disagree.

Of course. Always nice to get a discussion going occasionally, even if this technically isn't the correct thread. =D
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I vote for football. Real football, i.e soccer. If I want to watch men slogging each other, which is brilliant once in a while, I prefer rugby infinitely. No armor, just flesh against flesh.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

Here the definition of ball. As you can see, the only exception to the definition and actually fulfills the criteria of being ovoid yet still being a ball is the game of rugby and American football.

it's not the only word they have stolen for their own use...

i dont like either of the 2 sports. but i still go for fifa. cause i can understand the tactics of it. but as company fifa is pretty bad. i know nothing about the company behind american football. so i dunno if they are just as bad or not.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

If I want to watch men slogging each other, which is brilliant once in a while, I prefer rugby infinitely. No armor, just flesh against flesh. I prefer rugby infinitely. No armor, just flesh against flesh.

ditto
Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,484 posts
Jester

I'm going with the Superbowl, because of the commercials. That's the only memorable part of it for me. I don't actually watch the football part. I have no real interest in it.

But as entertaining as football isn't, I find soccer even less entertaining. Especially if the two teams are the best in the world, not too many goals are going to be scored within the long hour and a half during which the match takes place. Look at the 2010 World Cup final score. One goal in the entire match, and it was scored in overtime. I'm sure it made overtime very interesting to watch, but that first 90 minutes.... I can't imagine myself sitting there and watching nobody score for such a long period of time.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

But as entertaining as football isn't, I find soccer even less entertaining. Especially if the two teams are the best in the world, not too many goals are going to be scored within the long hour and a half during which the match takes place. Look at the 2010 World Cup final score. One goal in the entire match, and it was scored in overtime. I'm sure it made overtime very interesting to watch, but that first 90 minutes.... I can't imagine myself sitting there and watching nobody score for such a long period of time.

I imagine most football fans would concur on that particular match. Whilst it's nice to have free-flowing scoring, it just reflects poorly on the team's defense. The near misses, attempts, drives, dribbles, passes are what makes football enjoyable, not just the goals. Which is saddening in many younger generation fans, away from the time where hard, no nonsense tackling, defending were the norm, rather than purely about scoring (at least in England).
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

If we stuck to just voting, that would be boring.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

If I want to watch men slogging each other, which is brilliant once in a while,

Slogging? How does that even apply to American Football?

I prefer rugby infinitely. No armor, just flesh against flesh.

Rugby players are different. They don't have a 300lb, 6'8" guy running at full speed to tackle him. (With his 3 friends.) You're telling me you want to get buried under that mess without any protection?

The near misses, attempts, drives, dribbles, passes are what makes football enjoyable, not just the goals.
'

That could apply to American Football as well. If you were to actually learn and understand it, you would find it very exciting. I can't even describe the feeling.

it's not the only word they have stolen for their own use..

It's not like it's a big deal. You seem to be forgetting that the different cultures around the world is what makes life so cool. If we all agree that Football should be used only for soccer in the entire world, it would be a pretty boring existence.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Slogging? How does that even apply to American Football?

I would call tackling, slogging.

Rugby players are different. They don't have a 300lb, 6'8" guy running at full speed to tackle him. (With his 3 friends.) You're telling me you want to get buried under that mess without any protection?

Of course I would want protection. Rugby players are taught to tackle with precision and with safety in mind, so the tackles are softer. Rugby players too, weigh near that, so it doesn't mean American footballers tackle with more force just due to size. But, and this is a large caveat, taking a hit without any padding, with that kind of force, albeit weaker, is still harsher, and I like that stuff more. Throw in the fact that rugby players have to endure and play longer with fewer breaks, and it makes for me, a better sport to watch.

That could apply to American Football as well. If you were to actually learn and understand it, you would find it very exciting. I can't even describe the feeling.

I wasn't even talking about American football. I was explaining to Terry the whole joy package of football/soccer.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

Whilst it's nice to have free-flowing scoring,

it takes away the joy of scoring. when was the last time you saw a basketball player go nuts for scoring 2 points? only at the very end of the game if it is really close and it is the winning score.

no nonsense tackling, defending were the norm, rather than purely about scoring

italy is known for their strong defence, but they are turning over to a more offensive game now whit the approaching newer generation.
the best place to see old fashion football is the african cup. its better then the world cup in my opinion.

You're telling me you want to get buried under that mess without any protection?

take it like a real man

That could apply to American Football as well. If you were to actually learn and understand it, you would find it very exciting.

thats the same whit nearly any sport. "if you were to actually learn and understand football (soccer) , you would find it... (well, i dont like them either to watch) very exciting."

It's not like it's a big deal. You seem to be forgetting that the different cultures around the world is what makes life so cool. If we all agree that Football should be used only for soccer in the entire world, it would be a pretty boring existence.

lol.... just lol. xD

oke, i'm done.
i dont say it a big deal.
i think it's weird to put this case on the cultural differences bench.
i think it shows lack of creativity/inspiration when the name was choosen. (like, the word. "americans&quot
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

it takes away the joy of scoring. when was the last time you saw a basketball player go nuts for scoring 2 points? only at the very end of the game if it is really close and it is the winning score.

Yes, but I wouldn't mind watching a 7-5 Arsenal-Reading game once in a while. I just don't enjoy 1-0 Stoke, long ball matches if they come in waves.

italy is known for their strong defence, but they are turning over to a more offensive game now whit the approaching newer generation.
the best place to see old fashion football is the african cup. its better then the world cup in my opinion.

Serie A is mean. Mean in defence. Yes, I would agree the AC is more old-fashioned, if only because African teams don't often follow European ways!
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

Yes, but I wouldn't mind watching a 7-5 Arsenal-Reading game once in a while. I just don't enjoy 1-0 Stoke, long ball matches if they come in waves.

the more goals the better. but even this is getting boring.

Serie A is mean. Mean in defence.

yes. but the english team is internationally not strong anymore. they need that 1 or 2 guys the are offensive strong aswell.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

the more goals the better. but even this is getting boring.

Ha no, it was once in a blue moon...maybe not for Real and Barca.

yes. but the english team is internationally not strong anymore. they need that 1 or 2 guys the are offensive strong aswell.

Everything except the GK needs improving.
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

I wasn't even talking about American football.

You'll notice I said it "could apply as well to American football."

Throw in the fact that rugby players have to endure and play longer with fewer breaks, and it makes for me, a better sport to watch.

Have you ever actually watched whole games of American football? I've watched both Rugby and Soccer/Football, and they are pretty cool I guess.

The good thing about the breaks between every play in American football is that the 40secs gives you time to go get something to drink or eat.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

The good thing about the breaks between every play in American football is that the 40secs gives you time to go get something to drink or eat.

after 3 breaks i got enough for a hour and a half.
but they keep coming and coming. if i go out for snacks every time, i'll become a fatty ........ .
Showing 766-780 of 1882