ForumsGamesOld Games vs New Games

26 7574
NotoriousJayy
NotoriousJayy
1 posts
Nomad

Old games vs new games. E.g the original zelda or mega man, vs things like black ops 2 .

• 26 Replies
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

I found that old games are more difficult then the newer games that come out, I dont really know if it's the difference in controls and aim assist that comes in the newer games sometimes, or just they toned down the difficulty.

I usually prefere the older games to the newer ones because I like the simpler graphics since they make for less of a distraction when playing he game.

Crickster
Crickster
1,795 posts
Blacksmith

dark souls is harder than old games

JuicyFruits
JuicyFruits
171 posts
Nomad

I usually prefere the older games to the newer ones because I like the simpler graphics since they make for less of a distraction when playing he game.
Same here. And some of the old games are better then new games.
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

Why are all of you talking about graphics? Video games are all about gameplay

For me there's two different kinds of games I like, the ones I want to just play for the action and plot, and the other where I just wanna walk around and try out all the little cool things of the games engine and graphics.
First thing I usually do when Im playing the game for the plot and action is tur down the graphics settings to the lowest possibe, why? because when you do that you don't have a bunch of little flying USELESS THINGS all over the place, instead you have the floor, walls, enemies, and the goal.
You're saying retro games are better than newer games because the graphics are simpler and less distracting?

Yea I actually am saying that.
Oh yeah in case you didn't know there were actually a lot of retro games that were extremely distracting with a million bullets flying in the air. (e.g. Contra for NES, Gunstar Heroes for Sega Genesis.)

You dont see the distraction the same way, in those games those "distractions" are actually bullets running at you, and in the case of contra, one bullet you touch and you die... so I dont count those as distractions.
What I count as distractions are little floating leaves in the air or lots of grass that can potentially hide someone or just in general auras and floating things that you can walk through and have no other purpose then making you go "cool".

Whenever you get the chance, play a retro game. You'll love it. I guarantee it.

Yea this is basicly glorifying retro games, there were some flop ones that I don't feel like listing here so as much as I like retro games, I wouldn't say that you would love every single one.
d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

I found that old games are more difficult then the newer games that come out, I dont really know if it's the difference in controls and aim assist that comes in the newer games sometimes, or just they toned down the difficulty.

It's because developers didn't have the same amount of data that they could put into a cartridge as they do now. So they made the games insanely difficult to make them last longer.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

It totally is fair to judge an entire generation of games with the next. Yeah.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

the only sensable thing i can come up whit here. is that new games are easyer and more player friendly then they were in the old days.
whit many old games you can be proud of youself for beating the game after sometimes months of playing. the new games try to give that same feeling by handing out achievements, trophies or whatever they are called. but they all can be beaten in just +/- a week.

i liked the challenge of old games better.

xgeogander
xgeogander
193 posts
Nomad

i like new games. since, superb graphics, sound and story-line. Old game? it's just a painful memory.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

i like new games. since, superb graphics, sound and story-line.

graphics say nothing about the games.
you will see that in 10 years. when we have better graphics then now. but you still remember the fun you had whit the games of this age.

sound? we have hq surround sound for a while already. =S

and story-line? wtf? you say every game that came out last year has a beter story-line then old games like Final Fantasy 7 or TES: Morrowind?
d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

and story-line? wtf? you say every game that came out last year has a beter story-line then old games like Final Fantasy 7 or TES: Morrowind?

Not fair to compare every game that is released in a year to two fan favorites. Besides FF7 doesn't even have that good of a story. Way overrated. There are new games that have better tales to tell than Final Fantasy 7. Dragon Age: Origins can easily rival FF7. Mass Effect 2 had a great story; and even simple easily missed backround datalogs in Fallout 3 and New Vegas could give you chills. The logs in Little Lamplight, and the diary in the Matthews Animal Husbandry Farm were great.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

Not fair to compare every game that is released in a year to two fan favorites.

not fair to say new games has a better story-line then old games.

dragon age 2 wasn't that good story.
mass effect 2 neither mass effect 1 was better
and i never had chills by the story in fallout either.

dont you see that a story line isn't something that should be said here?
you can't compare story lines of old en new games. so to say new games have a better story-line is simply STUPID!!
d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

not fair to say new games has a better story-line then old games.

How so? Older games had the capability to add in stories just as thick as modern day games. Look at Baldur's Gate or other games of that genre.

dragon age 2 wasn't that good story.

Didn't say it was. The difference between Origins and 2 is rather large.

dont you see that a story line isn't something that should be said here?
you can't compare story lines of old en new games. so to say new games have a better story-line is simply STUPID!!

Again, why not? We are comparing old games to new games. Stories are a vital part of video games. The topic fits very well in this thread.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

How so?

because you are comparing the story lines of a entire generation whit the other. it is STUPID to even try and compare them.

for example: (if you agree whit new games have better story-line then old games)
you say that katamari games or the blob have a better story-line then let's say. zelda. or even pokemon red.
that is what you say when you say new games have a better story-l;ine then old games.

you simply CAN NOT compare old and new games based on the story.
once again, that is STUPID.

The difference between Origins and 2 is rather large.

2 i completed.
origins i was getting bored of after a bit and stoped playing.

why not? We are comparing old games to new games. Stories are a vital part of video games. The topic fits very well in this thread.

if you still not see why then i have nothing more to say here.
i made the only sensable thing i could think of in this topic on page 1 after the excelent post of nicho.

you can do it whit this. i wont be saying over and over why it is stupid to compare them.
d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

it is STUPID to even try and compare them.

That argument says this whole thread is "STUPID". While it is controversial, there's no reason why a discussion can't be had here. No need to get angry.

that is what you say when you say new games have a better story-l;ine then old games.

Didn't say that. I was comparing a newer game to an older game that you brought up. I am not dealing with every new game, I am not comparing every game made in the last 5-10 years with older games. I am pointing out that newer games can easily rival, and have better stories than old games by using specific examples.

is simply STUPID!!

it is STUPID

that is STUPID

Lol
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

That argument says this whole thread is "STUPID".

agreed.
just like nicho said on the 1st page.

I was comparing a newer game to an older game that you brought up. I am not dealing with every new game,

the topic is about old vs new games.
not this or that old game vs this or that new game.

to say that new games have better storylines then old games is just once again STUPID

I am pointing out that newer games can easily rival,

well thats a useless point.
ofcours they can i thought that would be part of commen sens.
you never seen me counter that.

my point however is that in this topic about old vs new games (meaning all games not just the few you wanna think about) it has no value at all.

and have better stories than old games by using specific examples.

there you go. by useing specific examples.

while your defending the guy that said that ALL new games have a better story then ALL old games. he did not make specific examples.
this is what i call STUPID.

Lol

i just wonder how many times i have to say it is stupid befor you understand the word stupid.
Showing 1-15 of 26