ForumsGamesOld Games vs New Games

26 7577
NotoriousJayy
NotoriousJayy
1 posts
Nomad

Old games vs new games. E.g the original zelda or mega man, vs things like black ops 2 .

• 26 Replies
Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Nothing beats classical games in my case. I'm not talking about back to the 90's old, but older games like the ones in 2005 or so. I am starting to play newer games like Boarderlands and Dragon Age but older games still take the cake for me. I have a hard time getting into shoot em up games like Black Ops and Halo (with the exception of Boarderlands) mainly because the plots don't interest me. Military themed games have never gotten my interest and that seems to be the theme now, hopefully more imaginative plots will pop up later in the future..

aurelius_maximus
aurelius_maximus
22 posts
Peasant

It's because developers didn't have the same amount of data that they could put into a cartridge as they do now. So they made the games insanely difficult to make them last longer.

Also, less is more in this sense because the devs had to do more with less, usually making a richer game experience.

Basically, the best kind of game in my opinion would be a game that filled the possible specs of modern games, but had the skill poured into it of an old game.
portarto
portarto
87 posts
Herald

Old games: Half-Life 1 and Counter-Strike are the best games nowadays and back then. Legends can't be forgotten.

FreeRunGT
FreeRunGT
2 posts
Shepherd

The old games because they are a lot harder than the games today. Besides the older games also have better storylines than the newer ones. The graphic of the game doesn't matter if it's a good game with a good storyline.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Besides the older games also have better storylines than the newer ones.

Actually I believe newer games have perfected story telling. A lot of old games didn't even have stories. Mario, one of the granddaddies of games, had little story involved.
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Old games, like super mario bros. and Sonic the Hedgehog have a stigma and a nostalgia attached to them. I like the older games, a lot more than I like the newer ones, and I could sit and play through sonic a lot more than I could halo. They were just fun. It wasn't about the story, or the graphics, or anything other than beating the level and moving on to the next one. It was just true fun. That's where the soul of gaming lies.
People have games so backwards now-a-days, worrying about graphics, or sound. That's not what makes a game. What makes a game is how much fun you have playing it. Some modern games, I get bored with them after a couple hours.
Games now are more of a cinematic experience than just mindless entertainment.

KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

Growing up in the late 90's-early 2000's, I love the N64, but I just don't play it too often. I play my newer games often, but i feel like if I had to choose between them, I'd choose the older game, just because it's a part of my life.

Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

Being as how I am a PC gamer, I have all my old and new games all in one place so its easy to choose. But I wouldn't decide one over the other. All games are different.

Secretmapper
Secretmapper
1,748 posts
Nomad

Old games, like super mario bros. and Sonic the Hedgehog have a stigma and a nostalgia attached to them. I like the older games, a lot more than I like the newer ones, and I could sit and play through sonic a lot more than I could halo. They were just fun. It wasn't about the story, or the graphics, or anything other than beating the level and moving on to the next one. It was just true fun. That's where the soul of gaming lies.
People have games so backwards now-a-days, worrying about graphics, or sound. That's not what makes a game. What makes a game is how much fun you have playing it. Some modern games, I get bored with them after a couple hours.
Games now are more of a cinematic experience than just mindless entertainment.

This. There are a few modern games that captured the essence, but they're quite low in number. Most indie games seems to acknowledge this though, and I find them fun.

I could really care less about the story, unless it's incredibly good. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love stories, but most games do not even get it right. Probably being a bookworm had made me quite critical on stories.

It's even more daunting when the mechanics of the game seem to be in conflict with the story, like Bioshock did with the little sisters.
Showing 16-24 of 26