ForumsThe TavernGeneral Science Thread

26 5744
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Ive seen many random threads about science stuff. So condense all your science thoughts here. And we shall discuss.

• 26 Replies
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

Killersup is studying the periodic table in his science class...whats the best way to memorize it?

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Killersup is studying the periodic table in his science class...whats the best way to memorize it?

You have to memorize it? That feels incredibly trivial. Even in college chemistry, you're provided with a table for reference. But if you really must, just use it as much as you can for practice problems until it's drilled in your head. It also helps to study the elements by groups and to visualize each period. Eventually, especially if you're doing stoichiometry problems, you should not only be able to link most of the elements to their respective atomic numbers but also memorize their standard atomic weights.
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Well you best be fixing that boy...in the science community they won't except work/findings/hypothesi(?) without explanations about it

Well... I don't plan to be a scientist... As it's not my strong subject. That would be math or PE...
fireangle
fireangle
176 posts
Nomad

I have a experiment I did in 6th grade.....

I had 18 pots split in to 3 with 6 pots in a group. Each pot had 3 pea seeds place in the soil. The 3 groups were labled WATER, GATORADE, and SODA.
I "watered" each plant with 1/4 cup of the liquid depending on the group (I don't really have to explain what the liquids are). My hypothesis was that the WATER group would do the best. Due to the fact the WATER group was the only group that grew past gremination my hypothesis.

My hypothesis that explain why my experiment resulted the way it did is that the other to ligiuds GATORADE and SODA could not properly hydrate the plants. As much as I would love to try to test this new hypothesis I don't have the means or time right now.

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

You have to memorize it? That feels incredibly trivial. Even in college chemistry, you're provided with a table for reference. But if you really must, just use it as much as you can for practice problems until it's drilled in your head. It also helps to study the elements by groups and to visualize each period. Eventually, especially if you're doing stoichiometry problems, you should not only be able to link most of the elements to their respective atomic numbers but also memorize their standard atomic weights.

About 70% of it must be memorized for purposes yet to be explained. Killersup has about four days to learn the first twenty by heart...
fireangle
fireangle
176 posts
Nomad

Due to the fact the WATER group was the only group that grew past gremination my hypothesis

My hypothesis is correct*

I meant to ad that to the end.

idigit
idigit
255 posts
Nomad

In third grade i made a song to memorize it. I forget the song, but remember the first twenty still. I have a huge periodic table on my wall.

so in third grade i drew up blueprints for an energy efficient friction generator rather than a magnetic generator. It used the friction from two piston powered steel plates to cause a heat energy transfer that could power a car. Sadly my design involved perpetual motion which is impossible. the intake of power would be very close if not more than the output. i was heartbroken when i learned that.

I also thought up plans of a static electric collector that doubled as a vacuum. so as you vacuum carpet, it collects static electricity that was stored in a battery in the vacuum that could be either used to power the vacuum, or be taken out and put into the power grid or personal energy storage thing. i know i am missing details bit i was in the fourth grade. cut me some slack.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

My hypothesis that explain why my experiment resulted the way it did is that the other to ligiuds GATORADE and SODA could not properly hydrate the plants. As much as I would love to try to test this new hypothesis I don't have the means or time right now.

You might hold something there. My first guess would be that the high ionic concentration in both drinks prevent the pea seed from taking up much water; at least that would be the case for two permeable liquid compartment^^
tegan190
tegan190
783 posts
Nomad

For anyone who has taken physics and chemistry in highschool, what's harder? I always thought chemistry was easier but I was told physics is easier?

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

Bit of a 'meh' revival, but I need to know some things to see if I got them right in my exam.

Is ice on roads an example of wasteful friction?
What's the difference between magnetic materials and non-magnetic materials?

ironblade41
ironblade41
514 posts
Shepherd

Garages tend to be pretty draft, as do attics.

Showing 16-26 of 26