ForumsThe TavernSwearing/Cursing Unnecessary or expressive?

84 20582
IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

Slow past couple of days. No Sal, pang, Ernie and GOH. I guess I'll make a topic to try and spark some conversation. It probably won't work.

As you probably have found out AG does not allow you to swear and it blocks out the words in replace with asterisks. Although this might be what AG is trying to do you can bypass this very easily.

Anyway, what is your opinion? Do you think AG and grow up? Most 12 year olds see more swearing at school than they would if swearing was unblocked on a forum, is there really a point? On the other hand though swearing is just unnecessary and it might be best to get away from it as much as possible.

I personally think swearing is unnecessary but I believe it shouldn't be blocked.

• 84 Replies
IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

So many errors. Redo.

Slow past couple of days. No Sal, pang, Ernie and GOH. I guess I'll make a topic to try and spark some conversation. It probably won't work.

As you probably have found out AG does not allow you to swear and it blocks out the words in replace with asterisks. Although this might be what AG is trying to do you can bypass this very easily and is kind of a pointless system.

Anyway, what is your opinion? Do you think AG should stop being so safe and grow up? The thing is most 12 year olds see more swearing at school than they would if swearing was unblocked on a forum, is there really a point? On the other hand though swearing is sometimes unnecessary and it might be best to get away from it as much as possible.

I personally think swearing is unnecessary but I believe it shouldn't be blocked because people should do what they want to express themselves.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Ahem...excuse me, I have been here. Just not as active as I'd like to have been

As for me...I'm not a fan of the censorship..but I understand it. Despite the fact that you have to be 13+ to have an account...you don't have to have an account to look at the community. Having the censorship protects AG from any legal issues that could arise from a youngin venturing into the community

Like I said, though...I am not a fan of it. Although it has caused me to be more...cautious with my word choice...it would be nice to throw in a lil "D@mn!" every now and then

In real life...I use curse words quite a fair amount. But, despite my frequent use of 'em, I am careful of when I use them. For the most part, I use them to make what I am saying more expressive (adding humor to it...expressing frustration..etc)

Also...lil side note...that moment when you have this all typed out (and looking much better than how it does now)..and you submit it and it turns out you were logged out and have to re-type it..and all you want to do is type "son of a ****ing *****!!!!!"..but you remember the censor -_-â¢

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Sorry...forgot to do this..

Holy hell on a taco stick! O.o I was noticed again!! And in a way that deemed me quite important!! haha *excitement dance*

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Even if kids are swearing more excessively now, it's not a good reason to allow it to be unblocked. Some form of control and limitation still needs to be enforced. And it's better to block off the language capacities of a few such that it is PG for all.

Blackbeltr0
Blackbeltr0
769 posts
Jester

Yes as much as they can keep off the better and that is good! I think that makes it a good effort!

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

So are we talking about swearing on AG, or just in general?

From the professional point of view, AG obviously wants to keep the site PG. This allows kids to come here and play clean games and if they do enter the forum be exposed to minimal raunch.

As for real life, get used to swearing. I swear constantly, it's a part of how I talk. Often times it adds nothing to the sentence, like A hippie saying "man" or "like" all the time (of which I'm also guilty) My point being what is the reason for them being so bad? I don't see a reason why *** can't be said instead of butt, or I can't say how ****ing sick that song was.

It's expression. Sure here since swearing is frowned on, keep it off the site so parents don't ban there kids from coming, but in the real world just get used to it.

Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

I just want to point out the irony of the swearing censor, because I've played many games on this site with swearing and suggestive content. With that said, the censor on AG doesn't bother me. Why? Because it annoys me when people I don't know swear, even if it is a faceless internet land.

renegadeo
renegadeo
19 posts
Peasant

In my personal opinion swearing shows your intelligence. Its fine to swear when really mad or something bad has happened that sort of thing. However, when you have to swear in every sentence all the time I feel that you can't use the English (Or any language) language well enough to put your point across. I enjoy that AG puts in this censor as it makes it so I don't feel like I am talking to a 14 year old who thinks hes cool when he swears. Besides when ** are shown it actually lightens the conversation and makes it a little more humorous.

fireangle
fireangle
176 posts
Nomad

I don't mind swearing as long as its not every other word. A lot kids may swear but isn't for a good reason. I think it's best to keep putting "***" in the swear words

Rhodes1013
Rhodes1013
98 posts
Nomad

Even if kids are swearing more excessively now, it's not a good reason to allow it to be unblocked. Some form of control and limitation still needs to be enforced. And it's better to block off the language capacities of a few such that it is PG for all

being a kid my self no we dont not as much as you might think we do butt as for me i dont at all even though i think it for say fuge i dont accually say the reall word

I don't mind swearing as long as its not every other word. A lot kids may swear but isn't for a good reason. I think it's best to keep putting "***" in the swear words

that is true some of my friends say it but others may say it when they get hurt really bad and just saying oww sometimes just might not cover it but they still might not yell it out loud but then there there is still the kids who do say it all the time for no reason which i acctivly ignore
GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

Yeah, I was busy over the weekend so not much activity on my part.

Anyhow, online I rarely swear since I don't find it necessary to type swears, but in real life I do swear sometimes out of habit more so than it to express/emphasize what I'm saying.

danielo
danielo
1,774 posts
Peasant

I can confess that i never cursed anyone {well, maybe only on the Internet. But that because the ywere hackers who headshot me!!!}. Ever. This is how i was rised.Even so, my brothers do curse, so its not because im coming from a "mormonic family" or anything.

I think that peoples take curses too easy. Peoples who know me know that if i will curse it will be real. It will mean something.

DACMiester
DACMiester
74 posts
Shepherd

If there is anyone who would actually WANT to represent themselves (that is, be "expressive&quot with language that (depending on how often it is used) can make you sound like you're a disgruntled minor with turrets syndrome (no, I'm not trying to be funny/offensive), then I do, in all seriousness, pity you.

Not to say that someone who desires to use that language can't be a perfectly decent person. It's just that there isn't any logic in it. If you're mature, intelligent person, cursing shouldn't exactly be alien (that is to say, being human, there are times when sudden events will have such effect on us that we burst out in vanity), but it also shouldn't be common.

Balloon__Girl
Balloon__Girl
213 posts
Shepherd

I think swearing is completely uneccesary. I do not find really adds anymore humour than a conversation can have without swearing. I have grown up in a house in which swearing is quite strictly prohibited and most of my friends don't really swear either. I don't think swearing is going to help the situation if you are hurt, so even that is not really an excuse for me. I can tolerate it, but I don't like it.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

I do not find really adds anymore humour than a conversation can have without swearing.

I tend to be quite the humorous person...and part of my humor goes with my demeanor (which I do so purposefully). For example...stubbing your toe and holding the "sshhhh" as if you are trying to find a safer word to say but going with the "iiiitttttt" as if it is the more polite option

If you were to hang around me in real life...I would show how cursing can add humor to a situation and not be "unintelligent". I know exactly why I use a curseword and I am careful about my timing with them...my usage of them is completely thought out and prepared.
Showing 1-15 of 84