ForumsThe TavernSwearing/Cursing Unnecessary or expressive?

84 20599
IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

Slow past couple of days. No Sal, pang, Ernie and GOH. I guess I'll make a topic to try and spark some conversation. It probably won't work.

As you probably have found out AG does not allow you to swear and it blocks out the words in replace with asterisks. Although this might be what AG is trying to do you can bypass this very easily.

Anyway, what is your opinion? Do you think AG and grow up? Most 12 year olds see more swearing at school than they would if swearing was unblocked on a forum, is there really a point? On the other hand though swearing is just unnecessary and it might be best to get away from it as much as possible.

I personally think swearing is unnecessary but I believe it shouldn't be blocked.

• 84 Replies
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Can you elaborate a little on that? (Can you provide examples?)

There are better examples, but here's a simple one: "You're a fool who'll never about to anything."

By themselves, the words don't carry the same shock factor as swear words do, but the statement is undoubtedly negative. And the word "fool" has negative connotation in this context.

My point is: the only difference between an insult like that and "You're a ****" is degree. The one with the swear will tend to be stronger, but even then, you can easily come up with something more elaborate to produce a similar effect. Swear words are just succinct methods by which we express feelings that can easily be expressed through clean language. They aren't necessary, but neither are endless numbers of synonyms.
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Also, I will concede this point though: Although I don't think the use of swear words is inherently wrong, since society has assigned such strongly negative connotations to them, we've come to view them in such a way. In other words, heavy use of swearing may be indicative of certain "negative" characteristics.

PauseBreak
PauseBreak
317 posts
Templar

Swearing is completely unnecessary. Its not free-speech. Its not expressionism. Its completely rude and uncalled for.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

One of them being " thou shall not curse( something like that

I would imagine back then that curse was more "witches and demons" than dropping the f-bomb

Let me jump in instead? Maybe words that have a double meaning?

I already went over most of those a few pages back..I'll do some of yours as well with more explanation

Cracker - Term coined by black people to counter the n-word. Crackers are mostly white (saltine crackers, for example). Pretty weak phrase..not a swear or curse word, however

Nazi - Not a swear/curse word. Used incorrectly when tried to be used as such as well..used to say one person is overly strict

Q word for homosexuals - Like you pointed out...means strange/weird. How many people view homosexuality (they shouldn't..but oh well)

G word to call homosexuals - Happy/joyful. Man..what a bad word..

So once again, reiteration...normal words that have been given negative connotation

Swearing is completely unnecessary. Its not free-speech. Its not expressionism. Its completely rude and uncalled for.

Read the thread
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

There are better examples, but here's a simple one: "You're a fool who'll never about to anything."

Sorry. "About" should be "amount."
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

@Rayoflight

I see what you mean now... Thanks you for the clarification!

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

It really depends on the circumstances.

For instance, it has been shown that when a person swears right when they get injured the perceived pain is less than if they did not swear/say nothing.

Outside of that example, I do not see anything wrong with it. Some people abuse it and swear every other word. Which I find hilarious. XD

JoshTheBoss
JoshTheBoss
417 posts
Nomad

Kids need to learn their language well enough so that the word "****ing" won't be their favorite gerund.

sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

Well, if you banned someone's right to swear, that would be infringement of free speech. I don't give a **** if you think swearing's childish, it's the way I speak and the way 90% of this world speaks. You'll just have to get used to it.

Its not expressionism.

Well, in the English language maybe. In Serbian, we have an entire book, written by the man that made the Serbian language as it is today, comprising of only offensive phrases/songs/words. The book's as thick as the Bible. So, yea, not every language is the same
fireangle
fireangle
176 posts
Nomad

Did you know there are words in the US that seem inoccient but take on a whole other meaning in other coutries....

ex-

Bloody- in England this is cosidered a cuss word. Now you know why they say bloody Hell in Harry Potter

Stuff- in New Zealand this is equal to a F bomb. I wonder what they call a stuffed turkey or stuffing during Thanksgiving.

So really a word is only bad dependinding on the culture.

PauseBreak
PauseBreak
317 posts
Templar

I don't give a **** if you think swearing's childish, it's the way I speak and the way 90% of this world speaks.

Maybe you should care what other people think. You know you doesn't care about what other people think? Honey Boo Boo and Crew, Octomom, and the likes of Lindsay Lohan. Do I need to continue the list? Do I need to explain the hot mess that they are? Or do the names credit themselves?
So if you don't want to appear as a selfish slob to everyone you meet you'll consider some proper manners. Or, if you really feel compelled to swear so much, I can only assume your parents failed you in how to act like a functioning member of society.

Actually, its not 90% of the way the world speaks. Maybe in the ghetto's and podunks, they swear each and every other word but generally the world is pretty decent about it. At least those that value literacy and intelligent conversations/interaction with others in the human race.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Bloody- in England this is cosidered a cuss word. Now you know why they say bloody Hell in Harry Potter

Do you know this for a fact? Or are you basing it off of that phrase? Because the word bloody itself has the same meaning there as it does here...the use of bloody hell most likely has to do with the idea of making hell also bloody..adding more expression to the phrase (oh ****..see what I did there? expression)

Maybe you should care what other people think. You know you doesn't care about what other people think? Honey Boo Boo and Crew, Octomom, and the likes of Lindsay Lohan. Do I need to continue the list?

Jesus, Galileo, Martin Luther (religious figure), Martin Luther King Jr. (black figure), Lincoln, Dawkins, Mark Buerhle, Michael Jordan...to name a very few. So yes, you do need to continue that list. Because not caring can also be very beneficial

Actually, its not 90% of the way the world speaks. Maybe in the ghetto's and podunks, they swear each and every other word but generally the world is pretty decent about it. At least those that value literacy and intelligent conversations/interaction with others in the human race.

Hi, I very much enjoy and value literacy and intelligent conversation. I have been labeled extremely intelligent, aced the ACT on my first time without a calculator, can skim a college level book and then lead my class in discussions over the book and the figurative language and devices used in it, and I have I am in the top 1% of my school & top 5-3% of country according to some standardized test (tested multiple subjects, hence my range in country statistic). I also enjoy my free usage of swearing
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Oh please... Free speech is something everyone should have the right to. Some people may stretch this ideal though... You might think it's rude but it's feelings... We have to deal with them. No big deal.
PauseBreak
PauseBreak
317 posts
Templar

When used under the pretense of expressionism its an excuse to behave poorly. Obviously, its expressing anger. But when coupled with such an elitist term of expressionism its grabbing at straws for a validity.

Free speech has its limits and bounds. Yes, the American constitution grants people the use of opinions without the fear of imprisonment or punishment. But private organizations, such as AG for a prime example, have rules and regulations for which they wish to operate their site. If they firmly express certain rules they are at liberty to exercise those rights without the government intruding.

But this isn't about 1st Amendment rights or the limiting thereof. This is about every day, talking to friends, family, and colleagues. The OP (original poster) is asking whether its expressionism or unnecessary; and I'm siding quite strong that its unnecessary. Whereas the counter argument could be considered as free rein for any situation. e.g. Graffiti is argued to be expressionism but rightfully so its straight vandalism. Regardless if its scribbles of someone's name or something very beautiful; without prior consent its destruction of property; private or public.

Conclusion to expressionism. Its art. Not some slaw-jaw hick swearing every other words towards his ma', pa', children, cat, and dog because its "how he is." Its piss poor at most.

@pangtongshu

Because not caring can also be very beneficial

I agree, but you took my comments out of context. You described figures that changed the world. Not people who "donna care 'bout wat peeps think; i do whatever, i do what i want."
There is a clear distinction between your list and my list and you know that. Let's take MLK Jr. for example because you mentioned him. He gave speeches in suit and tie, clean and pressed clothes. He didn't go around giving speeches or support groups swear left and right in his night ware, under ware, or a graphic T which sported "***** rapz" in gold embroidery. He acted professionally and utilized respect.
*I won't get into his dark side because it's not the point.

Obviously people swear. Obviously people swear more when around their friends. Its happens I understand that. But the topic has moved so far from the OP's discussion. I'm going to quote it again and start from there.

As you probably have found out AG does not allow you to swear and it blocks out the words in replace with asterisks. Although this might be what AG is trying to do you can bypass this very easily.

Anyway, what is your opinion? Do you think AG and grow up? Most 12 year olds see more swearing at school than they would if swearing was unblocked on a forum, is there really a point? On the other hand though swearing is just unnecessary and it might be best to get away from it as much as possible.

I personally think swearing is unnecessary but I believe it shouldn't be blocked.

He's suggesting that because AG doesn't allow profanity that it should "grow up"? (maybe that's not what he meant, he kind of dropped the ball on that idea.)
So he agrees that it is unnecessary but that it shouldn't be blocked. Well, that's a contradiction.

I support AG and their blacklist of words and phrases. Its their choice and quite frankly, just because you hear and say profanity "everywhere" does not make it now, O.K. Not to mention, America is a fast declining country in terms of education. And its not because teachers are paid like they should be. Its because the American people don't value literacy or education to be top priority. There's something to be said about the human race. Yes we are animals, mammals, homosapiens, we are sentient beings. Out of all creation on earth we managed to construct abstractions such as mathematics and written and spoken languages. And the fact that some people would rather lower themselves to the grunts and squeals of a chimpanzee is in the least to say, disappointing.
As a human we should be bettering ourselves and not falling to the lowest common denominator of petty filth-strung sentences.

TLDR: Learn to read.
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

So he agrees that it is unnecessary but that it shouldn't be blocked. Well, that's a contradiction.

No. All he did was suggest that he personally is not one for swearing but that he believes that people should be allowed to expressed themselves without censorship. And don't get "expressed" confused with "expressionism" as if I were suggesting it's some form of art.

Not to mention, America is a fast declining country in terms of education. And its not because teachers are paid like they should be. Its because the American people don't value literacy or education to be top priority. There's something to be said about the human race. Yes we are animals, mammals, homosapiens, we are sentient beings. Out of all creation on earth we managed to construct abstractions such as mathematics and written and spoken languages. And the fact that some people would rather lower themselves to the grunts and squeals of a chimpanzee is in the least to say, disappointing.
As a human we should be bettering ourselves and not falling to the lowest common denominator of petty filth-strung sentences.

This is spurious reasoning. You're under the impression that swearing is associated with illiteracy and lack of education, but this is simply not true. Plenty of people swear, both smart and stupid. It's more an indication of personality (but barely) than it is of intelligence. If you want to talk about education, there are much more important things to consider than the ubiquity of swear words.
Showing 46-60 of 84