ForumsPopular MediaOverrated Artists

23 10705
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Do you feel any musicians have too much hype that they don't deserve? Personally, I feel that artists who rely on autotune too much fall in that category. Kesha, Nicki Minaj, Lady Gaga and the like.

• 23 Replies
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Do you feel any musicians have too much hype that they don't deserve? Personally, I feel that artists who rely on autotune too much fall in that category. Kesha, Nicki Minaj, Lady Gaga and the like.

Though I haven't listened to the radio in years, since abandoning my pretentious "All mainstream sucks" attitude, I've come to like select songs from certain mainstream artists. I'm even fine with autotune; it doesn't matter if a person can or can't actually sing as long as the song's good. And while I like a few songs from each of the artists you mentioned, I still find them overrated. To me, it's a matter of consistency. Sure, they can occasionally produce the incredibly catchy single, but the rest of their discography doesn't match up.

And then you have the artists like Bieber who've never produced anything worthwhile. But I don't even know if he can even be called overrated. I mean, "Baby" has over 50% dislikes on YouTube.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

All three artist in the OP definitely..

Manaj - Can't rap to save her life. Rhyming a word with itself doesn't count as rap...and the hell is she doing with her voice when she "raps"?

K money symbol ha - Talking isn't singing.

Lady Gaga - 2 words: Attention *****. I understand some artists doing quirky things sometimes, but she is constantly doing it and the sole purpose is basically "hey! Look at me! I'm different! Look at me!!"

Swift - Maybe the problem is you Swift? Just because a boy isn't madly in love with you after 2 months of dating doesn't mean he is a bad guy...

Bieber - I'll admit..he can actually sing. Just not as well as his voice sounds on his album songs. Oh...and don't claim you are great at drumming when the best solo performance you can do is one I (who has never played drums) could learn in 30 minutes

LMFAO - "Hey...maybe we should have what we say actually mean something? And maybe we should actually sing instead of mumble crap?" "Yeah...but that's dumb!

Most mainstream rapists - It's ok...rapping that slow and pathetically is hard for me too

Most -core bands - Do you even riff? (*hint meme reference here hint*)

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

LMFAO - "Hey...maybe we should have what we say actually mean something? And maybe we should actually sing instead of mumble crap?" "Yeah...but that's dumb!

My problem with them is that all they're videos and songs are indistinguishable. Also don't see what's so catchy about them.

That reminds me. Psy.
GifNgga
GifNgga
26 posts
Farmer

Big Sean, ASAP ROCKY and Meek Mills

AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

Let's name the artists from a preteen girl's iPod.
Justin Bieber - Doesn't deserve to be popular since he doesn't even sing at his concerts anymore.
Nicki Minaj - Get her some grammar.
One Direction - Payed musicians make their music. No true connections.
Drake - -_-
Rihanna - Lyrics are like just repeated in every verse/chorus.
Lil Wayne - Same^
LMFAO - ^
Psy - Just because he sings in Korean proves that many idiots don't care for the lyrics.

I would name more, but it is too heart wrenching to do.

ironblade41
ironblade41
514 posts
Shepherd

OK are you ready?

Niki Minaj
Rihanna
Lady Gaga
Taylor Swift
One Direction
Selena Gomez
Justin Bieber
Kesha
Any rapper except for Snoop Lion
Carly Rae Jepsen
Katy Perry
LMFAO (except for dope zebra)
That Australian kid.... Cody Simpson?
Anyone from Disney Channel or Disney-related stuff
etc.

Thank you and have a good day.

ironblade41
ironblade41
514 posts
Shepherd

Most mainstream rapists - It's ok...rapping that slow and pathetically is hard for me too

I don't know if you meant to do this, but you put rapists instead of rappers or rappists or whatever. xD It's funny either way, I guess.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

I don't know if you meant to do this, but you put rapists instead of rappers or rappists or whatever. xD It's funny either way, I guess.

Whoops..did not mean to put that. Supposed to be rappers..though I guess rapists works..since they are raping the rap game
Showing 16-23 of 23